5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 8:58 AM by trshaner

exporting lightroom photos from one external drive to another external drive

marilynw81668614

I have all of my LR photos stored on a Seagate external HD.  I do not have them on my laptop due to not enough space.  I want to back up the files on a second Seagate external HD.  I know that I have to do this through LR and not just move files from one drive directly to another.  Question: How do I move all of my 10,000 photos from the primary external HD to the second drive through LR.  When I choose Export it only gives me the option of HARD DRIVE OR CD/DVD.

Please help in simple language please!   Thanks!

• 1. Re: exporting lightroom photos from one external drive to another external drive
          druss PI Level 1

If you are simply backing up your photos, I would not recommend the export function of Lightroom. That's not what it is for. It's true that if you want to move the photos from one hard drive to another, you need to do so in LR, but that is not what you said you want to do. I keep multiple copies of all my pictures on three different hard drives. Simply find the folder containing all the pictures on one Seagate drive and copy that folder to the new drive. LR will not see those photos there, but that is OK. You will still have them backed up.

• 2. Re: exporting lightroom photos from one external drive to another external drive
            marilynw81668614 Level 1

Thanks druss Pl! 

Just to clarify, when I connect my “silver” external HD ( my primary one) to my computer,and open LR  all of my folders turn white and lose the ?   When I connect my other “red” seagate drive, (where I just transferred files over)  the ? on each folder are there, meaning it is not getting the full information for each photo.  What if the “silver” drive fails?  Will I be able to somehow upload the photos from the red HD and have all of the information contained in my RAW files?

Thanks for your patience!!

• 3. Re: exporting lightroom photos from one external drive to another external drive
              druss PI Level 1

Lightroom keeps all its data in an Ircat folder in the Lightroom folder on your main hard drive. The folder where this is found is called Backups. If you make a copy of that and put it on your second hard drive, the answer to your question of restoring everything LR is yes.

There is another way to accomplish what you are trying to do. You use the LR command to Export as a catalogue. I have never used this for my whole library since it is around 70,000 images. That function, however, exports everything you need to run LR on another computer. Be certain if you use it to tell LR to export the files and the LR data.

• 4. Re: exporting lightroom photos from one external drive to another external drive
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

marilynw81668614 wrote:

Thanks druss Pl!

Just to clarify, when I connect my “silver” external HD ( my primary one) to my computer,and open LR all of my folders turn white and lose the ? When I connect my other “red” seagate drive, (where I just transferred files over) the ? on each folder are there, meaning it is not getting the full information for each photo. What if the “silver” drive fails? Will I be able to somehow upload the photos from the red HD and have all of the information contained in my RAW files?

Thanks for your patience!!

That is because LR only knows about EHD 1 (the primary). The other one is for a BACKUP of the IMAGE files and has nothing to do with LR or the LR catalog file.

All the info, edits and what not, you have done in LR is stored in the LR catalog and or to a XMP sidecar file along side the original file or in the case of DNG file in the file itself.

LR is a Database program. When you import images LR creates a record, a reference, of where the file is located.

• 5. Re: exporting lightroom photos from one external drive to another external drive
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

marilynw81668614 wrote:

I have all of my LR photos stored on a Seagate external HD. I do not have them on my laptop due to not enough space. I want to back up the files on a second Seagate external HD.

You should be done outside of LR  using a file backup application for this task and the backup copy should NOT be imported into LR. Windows 10 has a backup utility, but there are numerous others available: Back up and restore your files - Windows Help

You should backup up the LR Catalog, Pictures, Music, Video, and Documents Library folders to the 2nd drive. A file synchronization application is the best way to do this since it will only update files that have been modified, deleted, or added (new files) after the initial backup operation.