2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 12:41 PM by Ann Bens

Image Size | Re-size to a Smaller Size | Why?

BruceTR Level 1

Premiere Elements 14.

I'm creating a movie that contains .jpg images, and .mp4 and .mov clips. The movie will be exported in 1920 x 1080 progressive.

My images are 3456 x 2304 and 4272 x 2848, both are 72 dpi.

I've watched a tutorial in which the author recommended re-sizing images to 2000 x 1333. I've read advice in this forum that recommends re-sizing images to a maximum 2500 x 1875.

I'm curious... what is the reason for re-sizing images?

Also, if an image needs to be adjusted (color, lighting, etc.), should the image be adjusted before, or after, it's re-sized?

Thanks for your insights.

• 1. Re: Image Size | Re-size to a Smaller Size | Why?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Video resolutions are either standard 720x480 pixels or high-resolution 1920x1080 pixels. There is no value to adding a huge photo to a video project -- the program will need to down-rez it to video resolution.

We've found that the closer the photo is the video's resolution, the more efficiently the program will handle it -- and the better your photos will look in your videos.

And, since we also want to allow a little extra resolution so you can do some panning and zooming, we usually recommend 1000x750 pixels for photos used in a standard resolution video or DVD and somewhere between 2000x1500 and 2500x1875 for high-resolution or BluRay projects.

But not only does the program get less efficient the larger your photos are, the program actually has a maximum load size. If you try to load too large a photo into the program, the program will reject it outright.

As a rule, the closer to the video's resolution and more "done" the photo's cleanup before you add it to your video project, the better it will look in your movie.

• 2. Re: Image Size | Re-size to a Smaller Size | Why?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DPI means nothing in video. Only thing that counts is the height and width in pixels.

If you want to do some panning and zooming 2x the framesize is sufficient.