3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2016 6:00 AM by trshaner

How can I delete a wrong catalogue and install the good one?

Jean Blanc

My conputer, a PC, had some problems and the SAT (technical assistance service) installed a new hard disk with Windows 7 Pro. The old hard disk is still in the computer as a data disk. Inside there is the information and the photographs (more than 50.000) I have. They asked me to reinstall all the programs, so I downloaded again my subscription to Photoshop and Lightroom. I have taken by mistake an old catalogue. So I would need to take the newer one (dated at the begining of April, that I have as a backup), and I don't know how to do it. Anyway I see that all my watermarks, the printing configurations, and even my personalized name in the top left corner have disapeared. I am blocked. It is a lot of work lost... or where can I find all this information to recover my lightroon as it was before my computer failure? Sorry about my english that I hope, at least, understandable. Thank you for the help.

• 1. Re: How can I delete a wrong catalogue and install the good one?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Find your April backup folder and unzip (Extract Files)

Copy the calalog (.lrcat file) to a folder in Pictures or My Pictures

Double-click on the .lrcat file to launch the catalog

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I delete a wrong catalogue and install the good one?
            Jean Blanc Level 1

Thank you for this answer. I have proceeded as above and now I have three catalogs! the one created by Ltr when installed (by default), the old one and the new one. My personalisation continues ignored. And I know that it is not god to have several catalogues, unless specific purposes. Every minute I am more upset and fear I can lose everything. The presets and plugins have disapeared as well! ....

• 3. Re: How can I delete a wrong catalogue and install the good one?
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jean Blanc wrote:

Thank you for this answer. I have proceeded as above and now I have three catalogs! the one created by Ltr when installed (by default), the old one and the new one.

You can delete the LR default install catalog, but I would keep both the old and new (backup) catalogs. The backup catalog you call "new" is the one you should try using first.

Jean Blanc wrote:

My personalisation continues ignored. The presets and plugins have disapeared as well! ....

The Preferences file, Presets and Plugins need to be manually copied over from the old drive (now data drive) if they are still on that drive! You can use Windows Explorer to find them on the old drive and move them to their proper location on the new drive.

Here's a video tutorial: How to Migrate Lightroom to a New Computer - YouTube

1 person found this helpful