8 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2016 11:15 AM by dj_paige

? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found

adriant12105070

I have a folder where all my photos have a question mark. I know what I did wrong and know how to find the missing files.  Since there are 800 five star rated images, finding and authenticating them one at a time is laborious. Does anyone know if it is posdible to restore the entire folder in one operation, without losing any data such as adjustments and ratings. My Lightroom files are on an external drive and I do have a backup of the external drive.

Thanks,

Adrian

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

• 1. Re: ? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can relocate the top-most folder that has a question mark.

Missing Files « Julieanne Kost's Blog

• 2. Re: ? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

LR knows the difference between missing folders and missing files.

If you moved a folder, you need to relocate the folder (in the Folders panel) before you try relocating any files.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: ? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found
              adriant12105070 Level 1

Than you so much for taking the time to respond to my question.

The  Julieanne Kost Blog was very useful, especially in addressing restoring an entire folder. However, it generates a follow-up question:

The original file in my Finder contains DNG, CR2 and XMP versions of each image. How do I restore (segregate) the DNG files without moving the CR2 and XMP files.

Thanks very much,

Adrian

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: ? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found
                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure I understand. Could you please explain your target?

• 5. Re: ? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found
                  adriant12105070 Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me.

To start over, I have one folder with over two thousand DNG images in a Lightroom folder.

These images have been edited, and rated. Due to an error on my part, the Lightroom images were disconnected from the files in Finder, which are resident on an external drive.

Following the instructions contained in Julieanne Cost's "Don't Move Photos Behind Lightroom's Back", I highlighted the Lightroom folder, right clicked on it and, according to the video, should have seen and selected "Find Missing Files". There are 10 choices, but "Find Missing Files" is not one of them. So that is problem #1

However, if I locate the file in Finder through other means, there is no option to click on "Choose", after it is highlighted.

Assuming there is a solution to the above, the folder in the operating system,  on the external drive, has both DNG and CR2 copies of each image. If I were to click on "select"  in the Finder, would both the CR 2 and DNG copies move into Lightroom? If so, how can I select only the DNG files to link with the folder in Lightroom?

Once again, thanks.

Adrian

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: ? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found
                    dj_paige Level 9

adriant12105070 wrote:

To start over, I have one folder with over two thousand DNG images in a Lightroom folder.

These images have been edited, and rated. Due to an error on my part, the Lightroom images were disconnected from the files in Finder, which are resident on an external drive.

What does this mean? What did you actually do to the files? Did you use your operating system to MOVE the files? Or did you COPY the files? Or did you rename the files? Exactly what did you do? And did you do this to the files, or folders, or both, or neither?

Following the instructions contained in Julieanne Cost's "Don't Move Photos Behind Lightroom's Back", I highlighted the Lightroom folder, right clicked on it and, according to the video, should have seen and selected "Find Missing Files". There are 10 choices, but "Find Missing Files" is not one of them. So that is problem #1

Is there a question mark icon on the folders?

Next question: is there an exclamation point icon or question mark icon on the photos?

Can you show us a screen capture so we can see the Folder Panel and some of the photos?

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: ? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found
                      adriant12105070 Level 1

Hi,

I am attaching 5 images, as follows:

1. My screen, showing the New Zealand folder highlighted.

2. The same screen as above, after right-clicking on the folder.  As

previously mentioned, in the Julieanne video, it says that by

right-clicking on the folder, one should select, "Find Missing Files."  As

you will see from the drop-down, no such option is available. You will also

see that some, but not all, images have either an exclamation mark or a

white rectangle in the top right-hand corner.

3. This is the message if one clicks on the exclamation mark.

4. This is the message if one clicks on the white rectangle.

5. This is a screen shot of the folder resident on the external drive.  As

you will see, the first part of the folder shows .dng files.  Where the

.dng files end, I changed the card in my camera, and you will see that it

continues as .cr2 and .dng files at Image 0074.

The background is that the photos from one of the cards were already

resident on the hard drive in my laptop.  The other photos were loaded onto

the external drive.  I then wanted to move the photos from the laptop's

hard drive to the external drive.

Assuming that there is a solution to re-link the missing images with

Lightroom, I would like to be able to move the missing .dng files without

their paired .cr2 files.

To answer some of your questions ... to the best of my knowledge, I did not

rename the files ... it is likely that I copied the files, because the

original files are still on my laptop.  There is no question mark icon on

the folders, only an exclamation mark on some of the photos.

Thanks very much for your help.

Best regards,

Adrian

Phone:  416-922-1830

• 8. Re: ? Adobe Lightroom CC-File Cannot Be Found
                        dj_paige Level 9

You can't "attach" images via e-mail for people to see in the forum here.

You have to use a web browser and then click on the Insert Image icon.

Based on your description, that you copied the files, the methods here in Part 2 of this document ("Update Folder Location") allow you to point Lightroom to a different location. Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders