1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2006 1:39 AM by Newsgroup_User

My URI

reem_artsi
      Hello.

I'd like to protect my video (flv/progressive) by assuring it's requested by a 'valid' swf. Valid means hosted in a valid web page. In other words, if someone copies the HTML code (<object/embed> , and paste it in another web page, the swf will be loaded but w/o the FLV. Instead an error will be displayed: "you are not authorized to play video".

What technique can I use (w/o FMS or Flash remoting) to communicate from swf to non-Flash servers (let's say web server or servlet)? Based on the response (valid/not valid) I'll jump to the relevant scene in the swf. I do not want to refresh the web page or open additional windows/browsers.

I know how to identify the client location (webpage) when requesting the video - I can rely on one of the URL query parameters. This parameter is always exist in a valid web page. I can pass its value for validation, I just don't know how.

Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: My URI
          Level 7
          reem_artsi wrote:

> Hello.
          >
          > I'd like to protect my video (flv/progressive) by assuring it's requested
          > by a
          > 'valid' swf. Valid means hosted in a valid web page. In other words, if
          > someone copies the HTML code (<object/embed> , and paste it in another web
          > page, the swf will be loaded but w/o the FLV. Instead an error will be
          > displayed: "you are not authorized to play video".
          >
          > What technique can I use (w/o FMS or Flash remoting) to communicate from
          > swf
          > to non-Flash servers (let's say web server or servlet)? Based on the
          > response (valid/not valid) I'll jump to the relevant scene in the swf. I
          > do not want to refresh the web page or open additional windows/browsers.
          >
          > I know how to identify the client location (webpage) when requesting the
          > video
          > - I can rely on one of the URL query parameters. This parameter is always
          > exist in a valid web page. I can pass its value for validation, I just
          > don't know how.
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.

You could modify your .htaccess on your server to prevent hotlinking. See
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.htaccess#Prevent_hotlinking_of_images
          for details. However you need to experiment on that because I'm not sure
          Flash sends referrer information when requesting for a flv file.

Alternatively, you can do it by code in your swf. Check the _url property
          of _level0 and only load your flv is that url is indeed the url from your
          server, otherwise, display an error message. Note that this second solution
          is weak. Anyone knowledgeable in Flash could build their own swf to load
          your flv or even modify your own swf to disable the check (using a
          decompiler for example).

Good luck,
          Tim.