14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 4:57 AM by dj_paige

Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?

ianc46264135

Hi Everyone, please excuse newbie asking what may be a perfectly simple question, but there are a few things I don't really understand...

What I want to do is transfer the develop settings for some raw files from one computer running LR 5.7 to another computer running LR 6.4, to save me re-working the raw files on the second computer. Also, there are a number of things I don't get - the LR 6.4 has sidecar (xmp) files, but the LR 5.7 installation doesn't. So where are the develop settings stored?

Here's the detail: I was on vacation in Iceland and I took a laptop to backup, and maybe process, photos whilst I was there. So I have some shots which have been processed on the laptop using LR 5.7 and I don't know where the develop settings are stored - no xmp files. An added complication: LR 5.7 could not use my raw files (ORF) and would not update to the latest Camera Raw (which I have on the desktop with LR 6.4), so I had to convert the shots to DNG before processing on the laptop.

Now I'm home, I have copied the original raw files (ORF) to my desktop computer, which is running LR 6.4. I would like to apply the same develop settings to the shots which I already processed on the laptop (DNG), rather than start again...

All tips gratefully received and once again excuse my ignorance.

• 1. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Sidecar XMP files have been around for years and every version of LR as far as I know. The reason you don't have them with LR 5.7 is because you never checked the option to Auto Write changes to XMP in the Catalog setting dialog. I guess with 6.4 you do have that option checked.

The best thing to do is Copy you Catalog and all your images from your older computer running LR 5.7 to your new, other, computer running LR 6.x and then open that catalog in LR 6.x. LR will make a copy of the catalog then convert that catalog to a LR 6 version which will include all the edits you had done on all your images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
            ianc46264135 Level 1

Many thanks JSM, you are a gentleman and a scholar! I'm waiting for the raw files (ORF + DNG) to copy across the network, but the catalog made it OK.

So, with no xmp files, the develop settings are stored in the LR catalog I guess? Is there any way of generating xmp files retrospectively from the catalog? I think probably that sidecar xmps are preferable, as they give easy portability? Also, would xmp files which were originally for DNG files apply to the corresponding ORF files?

Apologies for more stupid questions, but I seem to be on a learning curve now

• 3. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
              dj_paige Level 9

So, with no xmp files, the develop settings are stored in the LR catalog I guess?

The develop settings (and really all of your work) are ALWAYS stored in the LR catalog, regardless of the presence or absence of xmp files.

Get this idea out of your mind that xmp files are better somehow than catalog files, xmp files will never contain the complete information that is in the catalog file. Xmp files do serve a purpose, but not this purpose.

The best method, as stated above by Just Shoot Me, is to use the catalog file. Copy the catalog file and all images to the new computer, open Lightroom 6, and then open the catalog file from Lightroom 5.7 (use File->Open Catalog). No xmp files are needed, and everything works. (If you really want the xmp files, you can generate them once everything is transferred to Lightroom 6)

• 4. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                ianc46264135 Level 1

Thanks DJP, not so simple then...

Can one of you explain the purpose/advantage of xmp sidecar files? If they are not useful, I may as well switch the option off/delete the files, yes?

The catalogue and the converted DNG files, copied from the laptop (LR5.7) to the desktop (LR6.4) have done what I wanted, however (no big deal) I now have 2 catalogs and 2 copies (DNG/laptop LR5.7 catalog copy and ORF/desktop LR6.4 main catalog) of the photos. Is it possible to 'merge' (for want of a better word) the laptop/LR5.7/DNG shots with the desktop/LR6.4/ORF same shots?

Thanks again for educating a newbie...

• 5. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                  dj_paige Level 9

In general, XMP files are useful for communicating with other applications (not Lightroom to Lightroom communication).

You can merge the catalogs, but if they're the same shots, I don't think you want to do this. Unless I'm not understanding things. Why would you want to do this instead of just using the one catalog you just converted to Lightroom 6?

• 6. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                    ianc46264135 Level 1

OK, I'm not being very clear - I'll try again...

I took around 200 shots in Iceland and copied the SD card to my laptop, which runs LR 5.7. Call these Ice1.ORF to Ice200.ORF

I developed about 70 of those shots, but to do so with LR5, I had to convert the ORFs to DNGs. Call these Ice1.DNG to Ice70.DNG

Now I'm home, I have imported the same 200 ORF files to my desktop with LR6.4. The same Ice1.ORF to Ice200.ORF

I would like to apply the develop settings to the 70 shots (on ORF files) with LR6 as I did using LR5 on the laptop with DNG files. Ice1.ORF to Ice70.ORF

I currently have my main LR6 catalog on the desktop, with the 200 Iceland ORFs imported ( Ice1.ORF to Ice200.ORF, with no develop settings)

I also have a copy of the LR5 catalog and the (same) shots in DNG format, 70 of which have develop settings from LR5, done on the laptop in Iceland. Ice1.DNG to Ice70.DNG, with develop settings stored in the LR5 catalog copied and imported to LR6.

So, to see the already developed (on the laptop) Ice1.DNG to Ice70.DNG, I have to switch catalogs and restart lightroom.

If possible, I would like to merge the LR5 catalog, with the develop settings for Ice1.DNG to Ice70.DNG, and use these on Ice1.ORF to Ice70.ORF in my main catalog in LR6.

Does that make sense? Thanks for your patience

• 7. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                      dj_paige Level 9

Delete the iceland photos from the LR 6 catalog, but not from the hard disk.

Transfer the LR 5.7 catalog and associated photos (the ORFs and the DNGs) to the other computer, then open LR 6 and then File->Import from Another Catalog, and point to the Lightroom 5.7 catalog. This will merge the catalog and maintain the LR 5.7 edits so you can see them in LR 6. You may have to re-link the Iceland photos in LR 6 using these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

When you do this, the ice01 to ice70 DNGs will have the edits in the merged LR 6 catalog.

• 8. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                        ianc46264135 Level 1

Bloody marvellous! You are a genius Sir

Do you know of a link where I can read up on the theory & practice of LR develop settings, sidecar files, etc.?

• 9. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                          dj_paige Level 9

Not sure these are EXACTLY what you asked for, but you might look into them

Free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

• 10. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I slightly disagree with anyone that says you don't need to, or shouldn't, use XMP sidecar files.

That is why there is that option in the settings for the catalog. It is a User Choice. I personally choose to use it.

If LR generates XMP files then you can take that image into Adobe Camera RAW and all your edits will should up. You can then make other adjustments in ACR and they will show in LR (once the data is read from the file).

DNG, TIF and JPG files store edits inside the file itself without changing the original data/image.

To generate XMP files you have to have the Auto write changes to XMP checked in the catalog settings dialog.

• 11. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                              Bob Somrak Level 5

Just Shoot Me wrote:

If LR generates XMP files then you can take that image into Adobe Camera RAW and all your edits will should up. You can then make other adjustments in ACR and they will show in LR (once the data is read from the file).

Why do you need to take an image from Lightroom into ACR and back.  Just make the adjustments in Lightroom.

• 12. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                                ianc46264135 Level 1

Hi JSM, always good to have a different perspective - to a simpleton like me, your last post seems to support my original view that if I had had LR5 xmp files, and copied them into the LR6 folder with the ORF raw files, they would have carried the adjustments I made to the DNG raws.

That's why I asked if there was a way to generate xmp files retrospectively, in case I could do that and then copy the xmp files only to the desktop computer to achieve what I wanted.

• 14. Re: Apply Develop Settings from LR 5.7 to 6.4?
                                  dj_paige Level 9

ianc46264135 wrote:

Hi JSM, always good to have a different perspective - to a simpleton like me, your last post seems to support my original view that if I had had LR5 xmp files, and copied them into the LR6 folder with the ORF raw files, they would have carried the adjustments I made to the DNG raws.

That's why I asked if there was a way to generate xmp files retrospectively, in case I could do that and then copy the xmp files only to the desktop computer to achieve what I wanted.

As I said, for the purposes of moving photos from one computer to another computer, xmp files are not needed, and they contain less information than the catalog itself.

Even though Just Shoot Me said:

I slightly disagree with anyone that says you don't need to, or shouldn't, use XMP sidecar files.

There is no one in this thread who said you shouldn't use XMP files. What I said, and what I am saying again, is that XMP files are not needed FOR THIS SPECIFIC PROBLEM.