7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 3:55 AM by dj_paige

Latest LR2015.5 Synchronize Folder not working?

JoeHoughton Level 1

I'm on an iMac (late 2012) running the latest CC version 2015.5 of Lightroom updated automatically via the cloud.  Updating my backup drives yesterday as part of a rationalisation process to bring my entire photo collection onto a single drive (I do have other cloud based backups as well), I copied about 1.5 Gb of data (using the Mac Pathfinder app to copy-merge the folders from the 2Tb to the 4Tb, updating with newest modified date files) from folders on a 2Tb external HDD across to my new 4Tb external HDD.  This added thousands of files to existing folders on the 4Tb HDD which already exist in my Lightroom catalogue, which is ordered in Year then Year-Month order.  I assumed that I would then just right click on my main pictures folder on the 4Tb and let it synchronize all the year sub-folders to pick up the newly copied images there.  I checked in Finder and the files have copied across as the folder sizes are now identical between the 2Tb and 4Tb drives.  However, LR still doesn't seem to be able to pick up the newly copied files in each folder.  Screenshot of the 2 external drives shown below so you can see the difference in file numbers for the 2001-2015 folders I manually updated with copies.

Doesn't work.

I've read the threads back to LR2015.2 where this issue seemed to first appear, and have tried all the tips - turning off the Import dialogue checkbox, restarting LR and the iMac.  I've tried synchronizing the bottom folders only - still doesn't work?

Is this still a known bug, and is there a work around?  I have all my images on my previous 2Tb drive so I can get to them in LR there, but I really want the whole 16 years worth to be available to me on the one 4Tb drive, which I currently can't do as LR refuses to add these new copies into the catalogue?

Any ideas anyone?  Help??

Joe Houghton

Dublin, Ireland

• 1. Re: Latest LR2015.5 Synchronize Folder not working?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
          Is this still a known bug, and is there a work around?

As you read, the disastrous LR CC 2015.2 / 6.2 release introduced problems file folder synchronization.  However, the 2015.3 release fixed those problems (or at least, most of them).  I don't recall seeing any similar reports for 2015.3 or later.   Sorry I can't be of more help -- perhaps someone else will correct me.

• 2. Re: Latest LR2015.5 Synchronize Folder not working?
            dj_paige Level 9
            This added thousands of files to existing folders on the 4Tb HDD which already exist in my Lightroom catalogue, which is ordered in Year then Year-Month order.  I assumed that I would then just right click on my main pictures folder on the 4Tb and let it synchronize all the year sub-folders to pick up the newly copied images there.

If the goal is to move photos that have already been imported into Lightroom from one drive to another, then synchronization will not work. The photos are already in Lightroom, and so they cannot be imported or synchronized into their new location. So if I'm understanding you properly, I would say that this is the expected result from synchronizing folders.

The proper way to move photos to a new drive, photos that have been previously imported into Lightroom, is given in part 2 of this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 4. Re: Latest LR2015.5 Synchronize Folder not working?
              JoeHoughton Level 1

HI DJ - thanks for your response.  No, the images i copied over to my 4Tb drive were not already in Lightroom, at least not in the catalogue as associated with the 4Tb drive, so having been copied manually outside LR my understanding (and all previous experience using LR since it's first beta) was that the Sync would then add them into the catalogue and register them as images on the 4Tb drive.

Joe

• 5. Re: Latest LR2015.5 Synchronize Folder not working?
                dj_paige Level 9

I'm still not clear.

I don't understand "not in the catalog as associated with the 4TB drive". Do you mean you have a specific catalog for just one drive and a different catalog for other drives? Or do you mean you have one catalog for everything and the photos have not been associated with the 4TB drive in that catalog?

If the latter, you have one large catalog for all of your photos, then I continue to state that my earlier explanation holds, and you cannot use synchronize to move photos from one drive to another.

• 6. Re: Latest LR2015.5 Synchronize Folder not working?
                  JoeHoughton Level 1

OK I'm not being clear. Let me try to explain it better :))

If we look at the screengrab in my original msg, we see folders ordered by year on the 2Tb drive.  These are all in my (only) LR catalogue and accessible in LR.

I bought a new 4Tb drive, and as the screengrab shows, I have a similar set of folders on that, and these folders and the lesser number of files in them are also in the same LR catalogue and accessible in LR.

So my aim is to copy ALL the photos from my 2Tb drive folders into the corresponding 4Tb drive folders, which I did using an external file copy utility.  The copy worked - the folders on my 4Tb drive now have lots of new copied images in them, but of course LR doesn't know about them yet as I haven't done a Sync.

Past behaviour would have seen LR update the catalogue and make the copied images on the 4Tb drive accessible in LR when I right clicked on each of the 4Tb year folders and selected Synchronize Folder.  When I do this however, it seems to go through the process, with the normal progress bar running in the top left corner of the screen as expected, but then at the end it just reports "No images found to import" and I'm left still not able to see my copied images in LR in the 4Tb folders.

Still cant see my copied images on my 4Tb drive - any more ideas - anyone??

• 7. Re: Latest LR2015.5 Synchronize Folder not working?
                    dj_paige Level 9

Ok, I understand your situation now. However, you have misunderstood what Sync does.

You cannot move photos to a new drive that have previously been imported into Lightroom using Sync. I stated the proper method in an earlier reply.