5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2016 10:21 AM by Peter Spier

Thread frames between facing master pages?

turner111 Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a way to thread master text frames from the front to the back of facing pages.

Imagine I'm printing flashcards; here's the thread flow I'd like:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 07.26.45.png

However I think because the first two pages don't appear until there is content, the flow breaks.

Can I do this with without script/plugins?

thanks,

Andrew

• 1. Re: Thread frames between facing master pages?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your problem is the "switchbacks" that you created from the right page to the left. You can't do that. Linking the left page to the right and leave it at that should do what you want, though you may have to delete the master frames, or apply a page without them, on any pages you don't want your threaded text.

• 2. Re: Thread frames between facing master pages?
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like you are trying to do a 4-up imposition? Is this something you are printing in house? Most printers would be able to do the imposition for you from a document setup to the flash card's trim.

If you uncheck Allow Document Pages to Shuffle you can start the document with a facing spread:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 10.23.25 AM.png

Delete page 1 and you'll get this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 10.24.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 10.26.40 AM.png

As Peter suggests you could start the thread on the left, but you will still need to start with a facing spread:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 10.38.37 AM.png

• 3. Re: Thread frames between facing master pages?

It doesn't really matter if you start with a right or left page in the document (at least as far as ID is concerned about threading). New pages should be added automatically.

• 4. Re: Thread frames between facing master pages?
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I may be misunderstanding the question but looks like an attempt to handle imposition in the layout.

When I start the doc with page 1 on the right I don't get the correct threading. Frame 1 threads to frame 3 and not the desired 2 frame, which is on the left page of the following spread (In my captures the numbers are labels and are not in the text flow)

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.09.13 PM.png

When the first page is part of a facing spread I get the correct threading—text frame 1 threads to text frame 2 on the left page of the spread etc:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.10.03 PM.png

And an auto flow works with 8 going over to the next spread's 1:

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.23.16 PM.png

• 5. Re: Thread frames between facing master pages?

You're probably correct on this -- I didn't do any testing, and I probably would find a different method of getting the text into this -- possibly not back-threading at all, but have 4 independent threads, then preset the number of pages and flow the first group, pick up the overset and flow into the second group, and so forth..