11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 1:17 PM by tim_colton

moving text frame off page causes text to disappear

tim_colton Level 1

I'm running InDesign CC release 2015.3 in MacOS 10.10.5. When I generate a table of contents in a box on the pasteboard, no text appears and the frame shows the overset marker, even though the box is more than large enough to hold the table. Story editor shows the text is there. None of the styles involved has the keep with attribute turned on. The ignore text wrap box is checked. I can see no reason that the text shouldn't display. But, when any part of the box is moved inside the page boundary, the text reappears. I've used Quark for more than 25 years, but I'm fairly new to InDesign. I've never encountered anything like this before. What's going on?

• 1. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please post some screen shots.

• 2. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
            BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

As you suspected, that sort of behavior often stems from text wrap settings. Are you using text wrap elsewhere on the spread? A test could be:

1. Navigate to the spread where you want to put the TOC
            2. Selection tool
            3. Edit > Select all
            4. Window > Text Wrap and click the first button on the top row to turn it off of everything on the spread (and pasteboard behind the spread)
              InDesign CCss_034.png
            5. Drag the TOC around and see if that takes care of it.

If that fixes it, you can select the objects where you intended to use text wrap and turn it back on and see if you can figure out the culprit. Some of the text wrap options are less than intuitive, plus if you turn it on without a selection, it becomes the default for new objects.

On that note, after you fix the issue: deselect everything and click that first button one more time to be sure that it will not be on for new objects.

• 3. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
              tim_colton Level 1

Thanks, Barb, but nothing on the spread has a text wrap. The text disappears when the box is off the page and reappears when it is inside the page.

off page.jpgon page.jpg

• 4. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If it’s aligned to a baseline grid that would happen. Turn it off if it’s on or move it on to the live page.

• 5. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
                  Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

I second Bobs suggestion: it is the baselinegrid!

• 6. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
                    tim_colton Level 1

Baseline grid alignment is off for all of the paragraphs in the box. I verified this by turning baseline grid alignment on, and the text shifted.

• 7. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
                      jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Here are several ideas:

For trouble-shooting purposes, keep the TOC on the pasteboard and delete the frame on the page. What happens to the TOC? Does it stay disappeared or does it appear? If there is still a problem, when the main text is deleted, then the problem is with that frame.

I don't think you are in Preview mode, but check it anyway and confirm that you are in Normal mode.

Look in the Layers panel and spin open the triangle. There should be exactly two items: the TOC frame and the main text frame. If there is anything else, examine or delete those elements.

When you looked at Text Wrap as per Barb's solution, did you look at the main text frame or only the TOC frame? She meant the main text frame. Look again at her answer. She suggested Select All with the Selection tool and confirming that Text Wrap is off for *all* frames.

Draw another frame with text and see if it has the same behavior as you move it on and off the page.

For the baseline grid idea, you need to look in two places. You can activate the Baseline Grid for the document in the View menu (or View Options button). You can also activate it frame by frame in Text Frame Options (Object menu).

• 8. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
                        tim_colton Level 1

Hi, Jane,

For trouble-shooting purposes, keep the TOC on the pasteboard and delete the frame on the page. What happens to the TOC? Does it stay disappeared or does it appear? If there is still a problem, when the main text is deleted, then the problem is with that frame.

No change in the toc; stays disappeared.

I don't think you are in Preview mode, but check it anyway and confirm that you are in Normal mode.

I am in normal mode.

Look in the Layers panel and spin open the triangle. There should be exactly two items: the TOC frame and the main text frame. If there is anything else, examine or delete those elements.

Two items only.

When you looked at Text Wrap as per Barb's solution, did you look at the main text frame or only the TOC frame? She meant the main text frame. Look again at her answer. She suggested Select All with the Selection tool and confirming that Text Wrap is off for *all* frames.

No text wrap on for either item. No text wrap in the document at all.

Draw another frame with text and see if it has the same behavior as you move it on and off the page.

A new text frame behaves normally--text displays with the frame on or off the page.

For the baseline grid idea, you need to look in two places. You can activate the Baseline Grid for the document in the View menu (or View Options button). You can also activate it frame by frame in Text Frame Options (Object menu).

The baseline grid is off both ways.

• 9. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
                          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Grasping at straws, I will continue!

What if you put the TOC on the right side?

Turn on Hidden Characters. Are there any?

With the TOC on the pasteboard—in the TOC, do a Select All with the type tool > Click the pilcrow in the Paragraph Styles panel to remove local formatting, and set everything to a basic style to see a paragraph style is causing the issue.

Delete the TOC frame and regenerate it.

Put the TOC frame on a different spread. Does it do the same thing?

(You are saving first, so you can revert, right?)

• 10. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
                            Haeme Ulrich Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you upload an IDML file of this strange InDesign document?

–Haeme Ulrich

• 11. Re: moving text frame off page causes text to disappear
                              tim_colton Level 1

Thanks, Jane, but none of these had any effect.