13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2016 12:25 PM by D Fosse

Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor

Ch4t3auz Level 1

I have been researching this problem everywhere on the net and I cannot find what I am doing wrong.

I am using Lightroom CC on my laptop (Acer R13) and also connecting via HDMI a second monitor.

The second monitor is an Eizo CG277 monitor that I have calibrated using its own built in sensor.

I have created a profile for the Eizo monitor that displays images pretty identical to the ones displayed on the laptop monitor.

The problem I have is that if I open lightroom on any of the monitors and then drag the lightroom window on the other monitor, lightroom changes the appearance of the photo. Usually contrast and saturation diminish when going from laptop monitor to the Eizo.

I shoot raw and I am aware of the fact that lightroom will initially display the embedded jpeg from my camera and then render the raw file. The problem I have happens after the raw file has been rendered and btw after I generated 1:1 previews.

The problem actually happens with any file, even jpegs.

The most interesting thing is that if I drag the lightroom windows from one monitor to the other and keep the mouse button pressed the photo is unaltered and displayed exactly the same as in the monitor where I dragged the window from. As soon as I release the mouse button and drop the window then the changes are applied.

This happens in any of the lightroom modules but does not happen when dragging photos displayed in other applications (even color managed ones).

Anybody has any help please?

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Chtauz  ,

Please try applying the default sRGB profile on both monitors.Refer Corrupted monitor profile and display calibration - Lightroom colour issue with secondary monitor - Photography Stack Exchange 

Here is detailed thread that might help Dual-monitor color management?

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ch4t3auz wrote:

I am using Lightroom CC on my laptop (Acer R13) and also connecting via HDMI a second monitor.

The second monitor is an Eizo CG277 monitor that I have calibrated using its own built in sensor.

I have created a profile for the Eizo monitor that displays images pretty identical to the ones displayed on the laptop monitor.

The problem I have is that if I open lightroom on any of the monitors and then drag the lightroom window on the other monitor, lightroom changes the appearance of the photo. Usually contrast and saturation diminish when going from laptop monitor to the Eizo.

This is normal behavior.

When LR is launched (i.e. opened) it logs and uses the system color profile assigned to that monitor. When you "drag" the LR window to the other monitor LR continues to use the 1st monitor's color profile. Your laptop most likely has a standard gamut display and your Eizo CG277 is wide gamut, which will cause the screen rendering to look quite different when dragging between these two displays. You will need to close and reopen LR on that display to associate the correct color profile.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to trshaner's correct answer (at least when working on windows), Lightroom should work correctly on dual monitors picking up the right monitor profile if instead of dragging the window, you use its built in dual monitor support (Window->Secondary display->Show).

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor
                Ch4t3auz Level 1

First ofall thank you all for your answers.

I will test the things you have proposed asap and come back here to confirm if I solved he problem.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor
                  Ch4t3auz Level 1

I now triedfirst the solution suggested by Akash and it somehowworked. So thank you for that!

But I still do not understand how it works, and it only works if I keep the sRGB profile as the default one on both monitors.

Here are some more details on what I did...

I use Windows 8.1, I went to the Color Management panel and noticed that for the laptop monitor I had only one profile under "ICC Profiles", this was an "sRGB display profile".

For the Eizo Monitor I had a number of profiles listed under "ICC Profiles", these were all created wth the Eizo Color Navigation software and I used them for different purposes (i.e. printing, web design, etc...). The Color Navigation tool would set one of them as the defalut profile when I chose it.

For the Eizo monitor there were no sRGB profiles in the Windows Color Management panel, so I added a "sRGB virtual device model profile" and set it as default. This profile though went under the "WCS devide profiles" instead of "ICC Profiles".

I then restarted lightroom.

After doing this the issue disappeared and dragging the window across monitors didn't render the image differently.

Now the confusing thing is that setting the newly created WCS sRGB profile as the default one for the Eizo monitor from the Windows Color Management module does not affect at all the Eizo monitor and the appearance of the images on it.

Also using the Color Navigation tool to set any other profile will affect the Eizo monitor (as expected) and will not cause Lightroom to adjust the image when I drag the window, but it will change the appearance of the image in lightroom.

If I restart Lightroom after changing the default profiel in teh Eizo tool, then the issue when dragging windows across reappears.

So what I get from this is that Lightroom reads the default profile upon starting up and then keeps using that even if the default profile is changed while Lightroom is running. That's fair enough.

I also tried the other suggestions by clsoing Lightroom from the Eizo monitor and restarting it directly on that monitor, as well as using the Lightroom built in dual monitor support. In both cases the issue persists and the image is adjusted in the same way as when I drag the window across.

I guess that a workaround for now is to always use the Windows Color Management module to set the default profile back to the sRGB one after I change a profile in the Eizo Color Management tool. But I suppose that will affect also any other application using default profile.

But some questions remains:

1) Why does Lightroom not work with the ICC profiles created with the Eizo tool? This is a tool shipping with professional monitors and I cannot believe all the profiles are corrupted (I created several ones).

2) Why does changing the default profile for the Eizo monitor in the Windows Color Management tool not affect at all the appearance of the images on the Eizo monitor?

3) Why changing the profile from the Eizo monitor while Lightroom is running changes the appearance of the images in lightroom even though the sRGB profile has been already read at startup?

Any answers or comments are highly appreciated.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor
                    D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot use sRGB as display profile for the Eizo. The Eizo is a wide gamut unit and sRGB is the wrong profile by any measure.

The display profile needs to be one that accurately describes the actual response of the display. This is what ColorNavigator makes, and these are the profiles you need to use, whichever one of them applies.

The problem is somewhere else and I suspect already answered.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor
                      Ch4t3auz Level 1

I see that the question has been marked as answered, although the provided solution is more of a workaround and I still have open questions that have not been answered.

Should I start  another thread for those questions?

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor

No, let's continue here.

The "correct" marking is very clearly wrong and misleading, and whoever did it - I don't know who - should unmark it. This is not a corrupt profile - but even if it was, using sRGB would also be wrong in this case. That's a stock solution to a different problem than this one.

What happens here is that Lightroom is not switching to the correct display profile when the app is moved. Unfortunately I run single-screen setups, so I can't help with any practical tests here. But it seems to me that Lightroom should handle this the same way as Photoshop does, without any issues.

I do have an Eizo myself and the profiles made by ColorNavigator are rock solid and shouldn't cause any issues anywhere. But one thing you can try, is to make sure it makes version 2, matrix-based profiles (called "gamma" in Colornavigator). Version 4 and/or LUT-based are generally known to be problematic in some circumstances. This is set up under "customize profile" and is a sticky setting:

profile-policy.png

Then try to uncheck GPU from Lr preferences, if you haven't already. This should shift all display color management from the GPU back to the CPU, which is more robust.

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor

unfortunately I have no dual monitor Windows setup to test, just a dual monitor Mac. However, I am pretty sure I remember reading that Lightroom not switching profiles going from screen to screen is a Windows limitation in that it doesn't tell an app that the color profile has changed and consequently this only gets checked upon startup of the program. On Macs this works correctly because the application gets informed that the color profile has changed on a per window basis.

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor

Could be, if Lightroom handles this differently from Photoshop. And yes, profiles are loaded at startup.

Photoshop on Windows does switch profile on the fly, as you move a window over. But maybe that's because the app has both profiles loaded from startup, and doesn't need to get it from the OS.

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor
                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I finally had a chance to connect and test a 2nd monitor on my Windows 7 SP1 64bit system running LR CC2015.4.

Monitor # 1 is a wide gamut (Adobe RGB) NEC PA272w (DVI connection) and Monitor #2 is a standard gamut (sRGB) HP 2509m (DisplayPort to DVI connection). When I drag the LR application onto Monitor #2 the colors become less saturated as LR is still using the NEC's wider gamut profile. Once I release the mouse button and drop LR onto the 2nd monitor LR starts using its profile and the colors look correct. Some colors are of course slightly less saturated due to the smaller sRGB gamut on the HP2509m monitor, as expected. I also tried this with the LR 2nd Display Window and it works identically. I dragged LR back and forth numerous times with no issues and also changer the right/left position of the two monitors with no issues.

So my reply #2 here is incorrect–LR CC2015.4 is working properly when dragging and dropping the application window between two monitors on Windows 7. I would assume Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 works the same way, but haven't tested it.

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor

Thanks for testing this. My information was outdated apparently, so clearly this works correctly in Windows as long as the monitors are correctly calibrated and profiled. Good to know.

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC changing photo when dragging to second monitor

Thank you, Todd. I was hoping someone could test this (I was fairly certain it would work that way).

So what the original post describes is consistent with Todd's observation - as long as the mouse isn't released:

But then there's something that doesn't make any sense at all:

The most interesting thing is that if I drag the lightroom windows from one monitor to the other and keep the mouse button pressed the photo is unaltered and displayed exactly the same as in the monitor where I dragged the window from. As soon as I release the mouse button and drop the window then the changes are applied.

This would mean that the profile is switched "gradually" as you drag - and then switched back suddenly when the mouse is released. That just can't happen. No way.

So the way it looks to me is that there is a profile mixup somewhere - the right profile isn't assigned to the right display. That could be an OS issue. But frankly I'm stuck.

Ch4t3auz, can you confirm that this is the change you see, and in that order? Test again. If this is indeed the case, I would reprofile both displays from scratch. Make sure you do this correctly. Use the ColorNavigator profile for the Eizo and leave it at that. What are you using for the laptop?

Oh, and, I hope we're clear now that the sRGB thing was a red herring, and that we don't need to waste any more time on that. Even though it still stands as the "correct" answer, which it isn't.