15 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2016 6:30 AM by trshaner

Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red

maheshvs007 Level 1

Hello - I am having this problem will all my Adobe software (bridge, camera raw & lightroom). My raw files are changing into red color. I checked my monitor profile and i'm using sRGB profile all across. Here's a screenshot of what issue i'm facing. As you can see, all the thumbnails have become red.

When i open these images in my windows machine using the inbuilt Photo viewer or Windows live photo gallery, i dont face any issue. I have also opened these pics in Canon DPP and it works fine. Only in all the Adobe products i mentioned above, i see this issue.

I'm new to this, request your help.

Thanks

Mahesh

red.png

• 1. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It appears you have some setting non-zero, somewhere, or the raw file data is corrupted consistently across all your raw files, which would be unusual.  Windows and DPP show you the embedded JPG, initially.  DPP will render the raw data if you save a JPG from the raw image, so make sure that JPG is also ok.

Look for non-zero settings.  Click Reset on one of the photos and see if it returns to normal.  If it does, t hen you applied a preset during Import and you should just not do that, again, at least that preset.

If Reset doesn’t change anything, then perhaps your LR defaults have been customized and one of the settings is off.  Reset returns the settings to LR Defaults, so it won’t help if the Defaults are off.

If you can’t figure it out, export a DNG one of your photos—which should also contain any develop settings that have been applied, and upload it to dropbox.com then post a public share link to it, here, so someone can take a look.

• 2. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red

Another idea, maybe you're using LR 6 or LR CC and the GPU isn't working quite right. 

Go to LR / Edit / Prefs / Performance and disable Use Graphics Processor and see if things clear up.

• 3. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red
              maheshvs007 Level 1

Hi ssprengel,

Thanks for your tips. I will look into this. The graphics processor is disabled. When i click Reset - nothing changes. It remains as it is.

But if only the LR defaults have been altered, then why does Camera Raw or Adobe Bridge open the pictures in the same reddish manner? I am thinking on uninstalling LR/Photoshop and reinstalling it again, hoping it reinstates my LR settings to how it was earlier. Do you think this will help?

I shall share a DNG copy with you soon. Thanks for taking time to help me out here.

• 4. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red

LR and PS/Br use the same defaults so changing them in one will affect both.

If both PS and LR show the same thing then uninstalling and reinstalling probably won't have any effect.  Refreshing the programs doesn't affect where their settings are stored.

Please share an Exported DNG.  We need to know of the reddishness is coming from settings in the photos or something on your computer.

• 5. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red
                  maheshvs007 Level 1

Hi ssprengel,

Pls find this google drive link for couple of raw files exported as DNG

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1UcOKTi7fyucTFyWEVsX1h1MkU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1UcOKTi7fyueGwyVnJGYzJPN28/view?usp=sharing

I hope this helps. Thanks a lot once again.

Regards,

Mahesh

• 6. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red
                    Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I downloaded one of the images, and it looks perfectly normal inside Lightroom.

But in the import dialog, which displays the embedded jpg preview (because the raw file hasn't been rendered yet), it has a strong red cast. I've never seen anything like this before, so I can only guess:

• You have applied some settings in the camera that causes the red cast, which will only affect the jpg preview when shooting raw.
                    • Somehow, the Lightroom library is displaying the jpg preview instead of it's own preview of the raw file, or maybe the preview cache is somehow corrupted.

Should this be the case, I would try to delete the preview cache.

Close Lightroom. Using Windows Explorer/Mac Finder, go to the folder containing the Lightroom catalog.

Delete the folder whose name ends with Previews.lrdata

Relaunch Lightroom, which will rebuild the preview cache.

• 7. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Here is what I get in Bridge>ACR and the import window of LR.

Bridge>ACR.

Red 1 Not ACR.PNG

LR Import window.

Red 2 YES LR Import.PNG

• 8. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The White Balance is way off in the DNG embedded preview requiring Temp -90, Tint -50 to correct.

The embedded preview shown below on right was extracted using EXIF tool.

LR vs Embedded JPEG.jpg

I suspect something is happening to the CR2 embedded Preview during conversion to DNG. Can you upload the original Canon CR2 raw file for these two images?

Also please verify if the images look red in the Develop module. I suspect they don't which again indicates an issue with the DNG embedded preview.

Try selecting the image files in the Library module and go to menu Library> Previews> Build 1:1 Previews. If the images now look OK go to menu Metadata> Update DNG Preview & Metadata to update the embedded preview with the new preview you are seeing inside LR.

• 9. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red

Per_Berntsen:  These are DNGs created by LR not the original CR2s.  As such the embedded preview is coming from LR not from the camera.

trshaner The raw data is fine.  The DNGs contain no embedded Camera Raw settings but the embedded preview is way off.

maheshvs007  My working theory is that your LR defaults are far off of normal.  I was hoping the DNGs would contain embedded camera raw settings but they do not, perhaps because the photos are still using your default settings.  To get better information about what settings these two DNGs (or their corresponding CR2s) have, would you be so kind as to select the two raw originals in LR--the same as you exported these two DNGs from, then use LR / File / Export as Catalog to create a tiny new catalog with settings for just these two images in it, then upload just that new .lrcat file to your google drive and post a public share link to it, here?

• 10. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red
                            maheshvs007 Level 1

Thanks everyone for your help. Here's the mini-catalog as requested by ssprengel

Click here to access: Issue.zip - Google Drive

Also, I wanted to update i did the following steps:

1. I selected one pic and manually changed every setting to 0, except the white balance. I double clicked on the top header and White balance was restored to its original setting. Rest every setting such as Tones, Presence, Curve, Hue/saturation etc. I manually brought it down to 0
                            2. After i did that, my pic started looking like the original pic, however it was now an edited pic (I could see the edit symbol in the thumbnail preview (the +/- black n white icon)
                            3. I copied the above settings so that I can use it as I proceed
                            4. Then I went to menu bar >> Develop >> Set Default Settings >> Restore Adobe Default Settings
                            5. The I selected ALL the files in my current catalog and I did Right Click >> went to Develop Settings >> Reset and the pics turned back to their normal view

I think this has resolved my problem, but it would be nice to know where I went wrong initially. I opened my catalog more than once did all types of reset, my pics were unaltered. So I think it has helped. I will keep trying with other catalogs and will update this comment if I find anything weird.

• 11. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red

The two photos in this small catalog had non-zero WB, HSL and Split Toning settings applied that skewed their color towards red:

A guess as to what happened would be that you edited a sunrise/sunset photo that was mostly just orange and looked better with even more orange and then for an unknown reason that only you would know, you decided to set the LR defaults to those severely adjusted settings, using Alt / Set Defaults... / Update to Current Settings.

Your using Alt / Set Defaults / Restore Adobe Default Settings erased your inappropriately customized LR Defaults, and your using Reset undid all the bad settings on each selected photo you Reset.

Clicking Reset on a photo changes its settings to whatever the LR defaults are at the time.  So until you fixed the LR defaults, anytime you used Reset, it would change the photos to the inappropriate defaults.

Normally you'd customize your default settings to make LR always use a certain camera profile or always use a little noise-reduction or always have sharpen masking enabled or have LR automatically use a Default instead of Auto lens profile.  You wouldn't normally set LR defaults that included settings of toning and color adjustment like you did.  Obviously it was just a mistake that you were unaware you'd made.

• 12. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red
                                maheshvs007 Level 1

ssprengel you are right when you said I was working with a sunrise pictures. Just did not realise when those settings got registered as default. With this I think the mystery is resolved.

I thank everyone wholeheartedly for helping me out here. Cheers!  God bless!

• 13. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red

ssprengel wrote:

The two photos in this small catalog had non-zero WB, HSL and Split Toning settings applied that skewed their color towards red:

A guess as to what happened would be that you edited a sunrise/sunset photo that was mostly just orange and looked better with even more orange and then for an unknown reason that only you would know, you decided to set the LR defaults to those severely adjusted settings, using Alt / Set Defaults... / Update to Current Settings.

Steve, I'm confused.  Why is the DNG embedded preview incorrect (i.e. red). I don't see any LR settings (XMP crs) in the downloaded DNG files using EXIF tool.

• 14. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red

Because Exporting the DNG creates an embedded preview using whatever the current settings are in LR, which is severely red in this case.

These images were Exported as DNG from LR.  I thought that this always included a XMP CRS section with all the current settings.  Apparently not, for some reason.  Maybe the reason is that all defaults are in effect--not the correct behavior in my opinion, or maybe the reason is that Export as DNG never includes settings, now, which also seems wrong.  I shouldn't have to share a catalog to see what settings are in a raw file.  I should be able to export the raw file as a DNG and have all the settings.  I'm confused that this didn't happen.  If LR 6.5.1 still behaves this way it should be reported as a bug.

• 15. Re: Lightroom is changing my CR2 (raw) files into red

ssprengel wrote:

These images were Exported as DNG from LR. I thought that this always included a XMP CRS section with all the current settings. Apparently not, for some reason. Maybe the reason is that all defaults are in effect--not the correct behavior in my opinion, or maybe the reason is that Export as DNG never includes settings, now, which also seems wrong. I shouldn't have to share a catalog to see what settings are in a raw file. I should be able to export the raw file as a DNG and have all the settings. I'm confused that this didn't happen. If LR 6.5.1 still behaves this way it should be reported as a bug.

I agree with everything you are saying! I rarely use DNGs so probably not the best person to trouble-shoot this problem. It appears if the original raw image file is opened with the Default Develop Settings and no changes were made the Develop settings are not loaded into the XMP CRS fields. I agree that this seems wrong. I changed the Default Develop Settings in LR 5.7.1, reset a CR2 file, Exported to DNG, opened the DNG in LR CC 2015.4, and the file showed its Default Develop Settings, not the settings applied in LR5.7.1. So yes this is just plain wrong in my opinion. I think I ran across this back in 2014 when sending a DNG for someone to check.