12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 2:14 PM by ric80231

Smart Collections - A Problem

ric80231 Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I hope somebody can help, my current solution is only partially successful.

I want to create a Smart Collection, that displays the photos from a 'set', ( I use 'set' in the mathematical sense), that have a specific Keyword and that have not been Published to a specific Publish Service.

So the criteria in the Smart Collection would be:

Match All

Keyword contains "Fred"

(NOT) Publish Collection contains "Facebook"

I have not found a way to do exctly this. The nearest I can get is to set a Green 'Label Color' on pictures that have been published and then use:

Match All

Keyword contains "Fred"

Label Color is not "green"

This works, but has a number of drawbacks:

1. It relies on the Label Color being set correctly.
      2. If I have a photos that is part of two or more sets, (i.e. it has multiple keywords that I am interested in monitoring). It does not work. As soon as I set the Label Color to green for when it is publish to a specific Service, it would show up as being published to all services, whether it has or not.

Can anybody suggest a way to achieve what I want?

Ciao Ric Evans

• 1. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You should be able to do this:

Untitled.png

This works on CC 2015.5 / Windows, but it fails on CC 2015.5 / OS X 10.11.4.   Looks like a bug, and I'll file a bug report.

Do Help > System Info -- which exact version of LR are you running?  Windows or Mac?

• 2. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem

Also, try the simpler smart collection:

Publish Collection contain words Facebook

Does that return the expected results (all photos in a publish collection containing the word "Facebook")?

• 3. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem
              ric80231 Level 1

Here is the output from the Help > System Info

Lightroom version: CC 2015.5 [ 1067055 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 4.0 GHz

Built-in memory: 16245.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16245.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 252.0 MB (1.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 264.2 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 120 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 364.72

Renderer: GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: D:\Users\Ric\OneDrive\Lightroom\Genealogy EVANS'\Genealogy EVANS'.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Ric\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Canon Tether Plugin

2) Facebook

3) Flickr

4) jf Metadata Viewer

5) Leica Tether Plugin

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de

Device : 1004

Subsystem : 314c19da

Revision : a1

Video Memory : 3013

Adapter #2: Vendor : 8086

Device : 412

Subsystem : d0001458

Revision : 6

Video Memory : 70

Adapter #3: Vendor : 1414

Device : 8c

Subsystem : 0

Revision : 0

Video Memory : 0

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: LR5x102

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

• 4. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem
                ric80231 Level 1

Neither of your suggestions solve the problem. But that seems to be my fault, I was not clear enough about what I want to do and I confused the Publish Service's name with it's description.

I put the original question in terms of the name of a Publish Service i.e. Facebook, Flikr or Hard Drive. What I should have done was put the question in terms of the description of the Publish Service.

I would have thought that if you wished to test for "Facebook" you would use the Publish Via test.

A little background might help to make it clearer. I am studying my family's genealogy. I have a large quantity of old photos, which I use Lightroom to manage and Photoshop to restore and enhance. I then publish a jpeg to the appropriate folder for the individual. Thus, I wish to establish which photos of individuals, have not been published. Obviously, I can compare visually, the sets of photos I have for an individual against the photos that have been published. I am trying to automate that using a Smart Collection.

I wish to test against the description of the Publish Service, not the name of the Publish Service. As I am publishing to multiple folders on Hard Drive, a Publish Service for each Folder is needed. I want to determine what has not been published for a specific Keyword to a specific folder. Now, Lightroom does not specifically test against a Publish Service, you can only test against a Publish Collection. I am assuming they are the same.

The criteria needs to be

Match All

Keywords contain "Richard Evans"

(NOT) Publish Collection contains "Richard Evans"

Lightroom does not allow the second of these conditions.

Sincerely Ric Evans

• 5. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem

The criteria needs to be

Match All

Keywords contain "Richard Evans"

(NOT) Publish Collection contains "Richard Evans"

Lightroom does not allow the second of these conditions.

This criterion:

Publish Collection doesn't contain Richard Evans

will match all photos that are not in a publish collection whose name contains the strings "Richard" and "Evans".  Why doesn't that work for you?

• 6. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem
                    ric80231 Level 1

Thanks for replying johnrellis.

I am sorry but: "Publish Collection doesn't contain Richard Evans" does not do what I want. In fact I don't think it does what you say. You suggest that it would "match all photos that are not in a publish collection whose name contains the strings "Richard" and "Evans"." I don't believe it would do that, I beleive it returns all the photos in a Publish Collection that does not contain the strings "Richard" and "Evans".

All I know is that it does not provide the result I want.

Best Wishes Ric Evans

• 7. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem

John: all photos that are not in a publish collection whose name contains the strings "Richard" and "Evans".

Ric: all the photos in a Publish Collection that does not contain the strings "Richard" and "Evans".

I investigated some more, including with a new test catalog, and we're both wrong.  A photo matches the criterion:

Publish Collection doesn't contain Richard Evans

if it is in no publish collection whose name contains "Richard" or "Evans".  A photo that is in no publish collection matches this criterion.  

To accomplish what you want, use these criteria:

Untitled0.png

A photo will match this if it has a keyword containing the word "Fred" and if doesn't have any publish collection whose name contains both "Richard" and "Evans".

To create the nested "None of the following are true", you need to use a hidden feature of smart collections (bad UI design).  After adding the Keywords criterion, hold down the Option (Mac) / Alt (Windows) key.  The "+" will change to a "#" -- click the "#":

Untitled.png

I've tested this with a new catalog.

Note the use of "contains words" rather than "contains".  "Contains Fred" would match "Fred", "Alfred", and "Frederick", whereas "Contains words Fred" would match just the word "Fred".

• 8. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem
                        ric80231 Level 1

Thanks John for all your efforts.

I am sorry to say that it still does not provide the Smart Collection I want. Here's a Snip it of the Lightroom I am using to test your suggestions.

Capture.PNG

I have set up the Smart Collection as you suggest but it still does not provide the output I want. You can see the green label color on some of the photos. That means they have been published and so should not appear if the criteria you suggested answered my requirement.

What I am trying to do is determine which photos in a particular set, have not been published. All the criteria you have suggested work on the Publish Collection name and description. This is not what I need. What I want to do is take a set of photos and subtract from that set any that have already been published. So I can easily decided which photos I still need to work on.

I shall try to set up a test catalog of my own to illustrate what I need, but it will take time. Which I do not have at the moment.

• 9. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem
                          I have set up the Smart Collection as you suggest but it still does not provide the output I want. You can see the green label color on some of the photos. That means they have been published and so should not appear if the criteria you suggested answered my requirement.

To clarify your requirement, please click on the collections badge of the green thumbnail of the woman with the baby and post a screenshot.  This will show all the publish collections containing that photo, e.g.

Untitled.png

Then specify which of the publish collections you'd like to exclude from the smart-collection result.

• 10. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem
                            ric80231 Level 1

Thanks for your patience John,

I might have solved it. When I came to do as you asked I noticed something. The Publish Collection the photo was in was "EVANS, Richard Alan - EVA1". The name of the Publish Service was "EVANS, Richard Alan - EVA001". It is the EVA001 I had been using as a criteria for the Smart Collection. I am doing that because I ensure it is unique. A name is not enough to ensure uniqueness, my family has a habit of using the same names.

What happened, when I created the Publish Service it was called "EVANS, RIchard Alan - EVA1", but then I renamed it. As I would have had to delete the service and recreate it if I renamed the associated Directory, I did not rename that.

It seems that the Publish Collection takes its name from the directory not the Publish Service, which I did not expect. Renaming the Publish Service does not appear to have renamed the Publish Collection.

When I deleted the Publish Service and renamed the directory, and re-created the Publish Service. I found that I was getting correct results. I have tested this and it is giving me what I wanted.

Again, thank you for your help and patience.

• 11. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem

Great, glad you resolved the issue.  As you've discovered, it can be very difficult troubleshooting LR's smart collections when things go wrong.

• 12. Re: Smart Collections - A Problem
                                ric80231 Level 1

Thanks again John, I would not have succeeded without your help.

As for troubleshooting Smart Collections. I am a retired Software Engineer, so I am familiar with Booean Algebra and Set Theory. I still find Smart Collections difficult. The mere fact I cannot use the output of one Smart Collection as the input for another is a big minus in my opinion. Un-documented features, poor documentation, lobotomised implementation, all go to a make it a very poor feature of what is otherwise a very good program. My confusion over a 'Publish Service' and a 'Publish Collection', and how they inter-relate, illustrates my point exactly.

It is not intuitive and that is what is required to produce a good successful user program.

Ciao Ric