5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 11:12 AM by ryant36143262

Lightroom 6 adjustment brush and export extremely slow

ryant36143262

Hi,

My Lightroom 6 started running incredibly slowly suddenly yesterday. The importing, culling, and most of the develop module are running at fairly normal speeds. However, when I click on the adjustment brush (or any of the adjustment options above the basic panel), there is a significant amount of lag in the adjustments showing up on the image, spinning cursor, lag in the cursor, etc. When I try to export images, it takes about a full minute for one photo to export.

I am on a Mac, 16 GB Memory. My computer is functioning normally otherwise. I am working with canon and sony raw files.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. It is ridiculous that the only technical help I can receive is through a forum. How can adobe not provide phone or online chat support for their own products??

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 adjustment brush and export extremely slow
          dj_paige Level 9

If you are doing lots of brushing on a photo and/or lots of spot healing, this is a known drawback in Lightroom.

Some possibilities to improve the situation:

• Do the brushing and/or spot healing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
          • If you need to do lots of brushing and/or spot healing in Lightroom, turn off the graphics acceleration (go to preferences, click on the performance tab and then uncheck the box)
          • If you need to do lots of brushing and/or spot healing in Lightroom, do the brushing as the next to last step in your editing and as the last step, turn on any lens corrections (if desired)
          • If you need to do lots of brushing and/or spot healing in Lightroom, get a faster CPU

OPINION: the technology developed by Adobe for editing photos in Lightroom works great, it's a wonderful technology, except in the case where you are doing a lot of brushing or spot healing, in which case the technology requires more CPU speed than most computers have.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 adjustment brush and export extremely slow
            ryant36143262 Level 1

Hi, thank you for your reply! However, the problem is not from doing a lot of brushing, it's just when I click on the adjustment brush in the first place. I have used Lightroom for years and always noticed a bit of a slow down when doing brush adjustments, but the slow down I'm experiencing now just from clicking on the adjustment brush is extreme. Not to mention the lag in exporting, it just seems like this is an issue separate from regular use.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 adjustment brush and export extremely slow
              dj_paige Level 9

Try turning off the graphics acceleration as I explained in the 2nd bullet item.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 adjustment brush and export extremely slow
                ryant36143262 Level 1

I've always had that turned off, it definitely does speed things up in general though!

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 adjustment brush and export extremely slow
                  ryant36143262 Level 1

UPDATE: I've determined that the lag happens only when I am working with Sony Raw files. My Canon raw files are functioning normally. I just did a test and exported an edited Canon RAW file, which took 2 seconds. I exported an edited Sony RAW file and it took 35 seconds.

The Sony RAW files are from a Sony A7 and are the same file size (24 MB) as my Canon RAW files. I'm pretty sure my Camera RAW is updated. Is there something I am missing here??

Thank you for your help!!