6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 6:57 AM by laung

Adobe is still running slow on a heavy pc, Why?

laung

Dear Adobe'rs,

I recently bought a pc for almost €3000. You would expect it to render almost instantly right?

Well, that's not the case, If I for example want to use the 2d camera tracker on a simple 3 second clip with not to much complicated frames, It can take over half an hour!? After effects works pretty slow in general in my opinion (on this pc), Also with premiere, once I put some collor correction on my footage and maybe an effect it becomes really slow. Before this I used a €1500 Macbook pro and the speed isn't really improved. I've seen other people get waaay better results using a pc half the cost of mine. Could it be the build or the parts that don't really work together?

If someone can help me out?

Here are my specs:

Screenshot_11.jpg

• 1. Re: Adobe is still running slow on a heavy pc, Why?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, the obvious answer would be "CC 2015 = lotsa bugs = not so awesome" and then of course the usual stuff about some of AE's inner workings applies. Really nothing more to say than that.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Adobe is still running slow on a heavy pc, Why?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

laung wrote:

Dear Adobe'rs,

I recently bought a pc for almost €3000. You would expect it to render almost instantly right?

No I wouldn't, but I could see where you would! I have a PC at my full-time job that cost over $7,000 and it doesn't render instantly either.

However, I also am not experiencing the issues you're describing. So, while I wouldn't expect it to render instantly, I would expect it to behave pretty well!  I'm not sure about build and parts. If you put that together yourself, there could be issues with certain things not speaking well with each other.

You say that applying AE's point tracker is slow? Could you please describe in much more detail what is happening? You haven't accidentally switched your composition to the ray-traced renderer, have you? If so, switch your composition to use the standard renderer instead.

The way you've chosen to share your specs makes some things not clear. How much RAM do you have? It looks like 32 GB, but I'm not sure. I see that you have the Intel i7 5930K processor which is a pretty good choice for AE work. And I see that you've got an SSD (which I hope you've dedicated to AE's cache).

• 3. Re: Adobe is still running slow on a heavy pc, Why?
              laung Level 1

So you sugest downgrading AE would be a possible solution?

• 4. Re: Adobe is still running slow on a heavy pc, Why?
                laung Level 1

@szalam, I'll make a test for the render. And the specs are 32GB ram @ 2400, 6GB ram with cuda cores, OS and software running on an M.2 (even faster than an SSD), and the Intel i7 5930K. I didn't assemble it myself, I let the experts of the computerstore do it so I don't think the parts are connected incorrectly. Anyways, I'll make an other test and see what the results are

• 5. Re: Adobe is still running slow on a heavy pc, Why?
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

laung wrote:

So you sugest downgrading AE would be a possible solution?

It's not downgrading AE, it's installing another version alongside.

Unlike Mylenium, I've had a pretty good experience with CC 2015, so I'd like to work to see if we can make it behave properly for you, but you should definitely install AE CC 2014 as well to see how it behaves.

AE CC 2015 is the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. This is a big job and it's clearly still in progress. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it. So, during this time of transition as they're introducing elements of the new architecture, sometimes using the older version works better (and, at the very least, it's a good troubleshooting step).

There are still a number of things not present in the current version (such as rendering with multiple cores). So I'll often open my AE CC 2015 project files in AE CC 2014 to render with multiprocessing (you can open the same project file in both versions with no issue. Although, sometimes CC 2015 renders faster...I still haven't tested enough to see what's making the difference.

• 6. Re: Adobe is still running slow on a heavy pc, Why?
                    laung Level 1

Ok awesome! I understad your point. Thanks for your help!