16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 2:36 AM by Rogerw133

Poor quality jpeg from raw export

Rogerw133

I have an issue when exporting from lr6 raw image to jpeg at 100% the resultant quality is terrible, If I take the same raw file and convert it to jpeg using other software the quality is very much better, so it must be something lroom is doing to the image.  I often use high iso (3200) where this effect is even more noticeable.  If I choose tif as the export file then all is well, but as I want jpeg as the final format then this adds another process which slows things down. 

Any thoughts welcomed

• 1. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
          dj_paige Level 9

... the resultant quality is terrible

Define "terrible". Better yet, show us a screen capture of what the photo looks like in Lightroom, another screen capture of what the photo looks like outside of Lightroom, and another screen capture of your export dialog settings.

• 2. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I find your dilemma difficult to comprehend because whenever I export JPEG images I cannot see any difference between the exported JPEG and the original raw file. It really would help if you would provide a screenshot showing a comparison, as well as a screen shot of your export settings.

• 3. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
              Rogerw133 Level 1

Thanks both for your quick replies.  Hopefully, here are the screen shots, although its more noticeable in the full size images.

Screenshot 2016-04-25 16.29.09.pngScreenshot 2016-04-25 16.35.56.png

• 4. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Besides Quality, the other important settings are in the Image Sizing and Sharpening areas you haven’t included in your Export settings screenshot. 

Turn off Export sharpening and see if things look better.  The image has quite a bit of noise and you’re likely sharpening that significantly more.  Generally you don’t want to sharpen unless you’ve resized down quite a bit with in this case you haven’t resized, at all.

You can also show us 1:1 100% zoom screenshots of the same partial area of the image.

• 5. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                  Rogerw133 Level 1

I hope this helps, The images Used were just for my testing so have had no adjustments at all, simply uploaded to the pc, then into lRoom then exported out, certainly no sharpening applied knowingly.  Strangely to me the noise is now less obvious at 100%.

What I havent uploaded yet is the image that was converted to jpeg outside LRoom, which I can do if it helps.

Screenshot 2016-04-25 17.29.54.pngScreenshot 2016-04-25 17.32.31.png

• 6. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                    Axel Matt Level 4

What's the ISO setting for this picture?

Axel

• 7. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                      Rogerw133 Level 1

The iso setting is 3200.  I also did a comparison of a similar images at iso 100. In that case there was no discernible difference between one converted from raw to jpeg in LRoom to one converted outside, the issue only arises at higher Iso settings.

Here are the two images I mentioned. The one on the left exported from IRoom the other converted in Faststone.  Both iso3200. I must say the images here in the forum do not show the real difference between the two, but I guess we cant upload big files.

Screenshot 2016-04-25 17.55.31.png

• 8. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                        Axel Matt Level 4

Rogerw133 schrieb:

The iso setting is 3200. I also did a comparison of a similar images at iso 100. In that case there was no discernible difference between one converted from raw to jpeg in LRoom to one converted outside, the issue only arises at higher Iso settings.

Hi,

that's confirming my guess. A picture with an higher ISO setting contains more noise in the picture. In an RAW picture it is not to see with such an intensity. When you convert the picture without any correction to jpeg the noise would be increased.

Try the following: before you try to export the picture apply some noise reduction and try to sharpen the picture in LR.

I'll hope you understand, because English is not my mother language.

Regards form Germany

Axel

• 9. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export

I can definitely see the difference. The JPEG has noticeably more noise. I would suggest experimenting with luminance noise reduction and luminance sharpening and export to see if that will resolve the problem. I don't know if the difference between 16 bit (NEF) and 8 bit makes a difference.

• 10. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rogerw133 wrote:

The iso setting is 3200. I also did a comparison of a similar images at iso 100. In that case there was no discernible difference between one converted from raw to jpeg in LRoom to one converted outside, the issue only arises at higher Iso settings.

Low ISO setting raw image files (100-400) may be OK without applying Luminance Noise Reduction (0). An ISO 3200 image will have visible noise and require adjusting the Luminance Noise Reduction slider. This should only be done at 1:1 Zoom view! Try the following settings:

Here's a good video tutorial: Reduce image noise in Lightroom 5 | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

• 11. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                              Rogerw133 Level 1

thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I will give them a try and report back.  However it is interesting to note that the free Faststone software I use and others manage to convert Hi Iso Raw to jpeg without showing the noise and without any processing!

It would be interesting to know what Adobe have to say about it.

Roger

• 12. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export

I'm not sure about Faststone. But I believe it is doing the "conversion" from the embedded JPEG preview. And that JPEG preview could be impacted by in-camera noise reduction that Lightroom doesn't read.

• 13. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rogerw133 wrote:

However it is interesting to note that the free Faststone software I use and others manage to convert Hi Iso Raw to jpeg without showing the noise and without any processing!

Check your FastStone Raw Settings tab. It is most likely set  to use the Embedded Preview, which has noise reduction applied in-camera. You will better results inside LR with the raw file using the proper Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings....not to mention all of the other controls at your disposal.

• 14. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The image you posted (repeated below) looks to me like your image viewer is using a bad algorithm (probably nearest neighbor) to scale down your image to display size. This tends to increase the visible noise. However, it is not actually really there. A better image viewer app would average pixels to scale down typically using bilinear or bicubic scaling. You should for example when you reimport the jpg into Lightroom and look at it in fit view in Library, get a far better impression of the actual noise in the image as it uses a better scaling algorithm. That said, your camera applies a lot of noise reduction by default at high ISOs. Lightroom is extremely conservative in its default settings and usually needs a few seconds of optimization. Only do this at 1:1 zooms in Lightroom.

Screenshot 2016-04-25 16.29.09.png

• 15. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                                      joachims25232702 Level 1

Hello,

try 90 Dpi for output and see if that is better. Then use higher and lower Dpi settings to replicate your problem.

• 16. Re: Poor quality jpeg from raw export
                                        Rogerw133 Level 1

Thanks for your input everyone.  I did indeed find Faststone by default used an embeded image, (I had no idea there was an embeded image in a raw file) and thus is the answer to my original post, although I have learned a lot from this excersise in other areas as well.

Thanks again

Roger