7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 9:42 AM by ClayUUID

Working with Animated Website Created in Flash CS4

barker85 Level 1

Hello,

I have an animated website, created in Flash CS4 that I need to update so am considering doing this in Animate. Before I start working on it properly, instead of just creating a new site from scratch, I want to check:

• Is it possible to export the .fla website as html5? I cannot see the option to do this.
      • Will I need to re-code all, or certain aspects, of the information inside the project? I did a quick export from Animate and it all seemed to work, aside from links (e.g. contact leading to email and facebook button) not working as they did before.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Working with Animated Website Created in Flash CS4
          Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The Commands menu has a Convert To Other Document Formats option, that's one way to covert your AS3 FLA to be HTML5 Canvas FLA.

Any timeline scripts will be commented out, but at least you can read the AS3 as you convert it to Javascript. Any external class files won't be usable, you'll have to rewrite those in Javascript, perhaps in the timeline of each movieclip that used the class file. There is no document class.

There will be lots of other difficulties along the way. Also, some CS4 features won't even work in AS3 FLAs, TLF text fields for example.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Working with Animated Website Created in Flash CS4
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

creating an html5 document will require re-writing all the code.

you can open your fla>click commands>convert to other document formats>etc.

• 3. Re: Working with Animated Website Created in Flash CS4
              barker85 Level 1

Thanks for the info.

I tried the Convert to Other Documents Format, which created a Canvas, which has retained the animation on playback, however when previewing it in a browser it is just a plain white screen.

I'm not sure exactly how I can re-write the code.

There is not much content - perhaps it would be easier just to start from scratch? If so are there are any good tutorials for building an animated HTML5 website in Animate? I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Working with Animated Website Created in Flash CS4
                ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

barker85 wrote:

I tried the Convert to Other Documents Format, which created a Canvas, which has retained the animation on playback, however when previewing it in a browser it is just a plain white screen.

This almost always means a JavaScript error. When it happens, press F12 to open the browser's developer console and check for error messages.

• 5. Re: Working with Animated Website Created in Flash CS4
                  rosebudd Level 3

it is just a plain white screen

Uncheck combine images into a  spritesheet in the Publish settings. IMHO this should not be the default.

• 6. Re: Working with Animated Website Created in Flash CS4
                    barker85 Level 1

Thanks, that solved that issue.

It appears to be working fine now but with two problems

1) The animated text links do not move in a straight line as they did initially but in a random way in between the start and end (not in Animate but when previewing in browser).

2) The animation does not stop but keeps looping. I deleted the Action for the animation to stop and inserted a new one but this still does not stop it.

I get the messages:

"* AntiAlias is not supported in HTML5 Canvas document, and has been converted to CanvasFonts in an instance of Text."

and "WARNINGS: Frame numbers in EaselJS start at 0 instead of 1. For example, this affects gotoAndStop and gotoAndPlay calls. (6)

Classic tweens that end on a keyframe with multiple elements may have unexpected results.

Modifying the transform point in a tween can produce unexpected results.

Input and static text fields are published as dynamic text fields.

Content with both Bitmaps and Buttons may generate local security errors in some browsers if run from the local file system.

Motion tweens are published as frame by frame animations. Use classic tweens where possible."

Perhaps these are related?

• 7. Re: Working with Animated Website Created in Flash CS4
                      ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

The animated text links do not move in a straight line as they did initially but in a random way in between the start and end

Modifying the transform point in a tween can produce unexpected results.

*cough*