6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 3:58 PM by Steve Grisetti

VOBs audio out of sync after importing to Premier Elements

Val8583 Level 1

I am using - - Adobe Premiere Elements 10, Windows OS7

I have two high quality MKV video files that I have converted to MP4 and VOB. I have viewed all three formats on two different players. Everything is fine.

When I import the MP4s or VOBs to Premier Elements the audio goes out of sync. I have done this multiple times, as a New Project each time. I have moved, renamed and re-converted the original MKVs. Same thing happens every time.

What can I do to keep the audio in sync with the video?

Please advise. Thank you.

• 1. Re: VOBs audio out of sync after importing to Premier Elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Converting files is tricky business, and not often as simple as it sounds.

You have the added challenge of using an older version of the program. Newer versions of the program handle setup pretty automatically, but versions 10 and earlier need to be set up manually and precisely.

These instructions are based on the assumption you are editing VOB files and only VOB files in your project. (Version 10 doesn't mix video formats well.)

Start a new project. On the New Project option screen, click Change Settings. On the Project Settings panel, select the preset for Hard Disk or Flash Memory Camcorder, Standard (or Widescreen) 48khz. Then click OK and start your project.

Add your new project to your timeline. Be sure to wait for the program to completely conform the files before you start editing! (You'll be able to see its progress along the bottom of the program.) Also, press the Enter key on your keyboard to render your timeline before you play your movie.

As I say, this whole process is much easier in post-version 11 versions of the program. Although there, too, it depends on what the exact specs of your file conversion were and which program  you used to convert them. As I said, converting files is very tricky business!

• 2. Re: VOBs audio out of sync after importing to Premier Elements
            Val8583 Level 1

Tipard Blu-Ray Converter was used. Converted files play fine on multiple players with no sync problems.

I followed your directions to the letter. SOP for starting a new project, but I did it again anyway.

After importing to Premiere Elements the audio is (again) out of sync with the video.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 3. Re: VOBs audio out of sync after importing to Premier Elements

It's likely something is either inherent in the original file or is happening in the conversion that's causing this. As I say, converting files is tricky business. Something as minor as converting to a variable rather than constant bit rate or selecting an unsupported audio codec can throw things out of sync when you try to edit it.

And Matroska MKV video is kind of difficult to edit anyway, since it doesn't follow the same rules as camcorder video.

You don't say which resolution your video is -- but if it is a non-standard resolution (1920x1080, 640x480 or 720x480) that too could affect how it is "digested" in Premiere Elements.

This is probably the best video converter for creating editable video from MKV. But what you convert it to depends on the resolution of your original video.

AviDemux 2.6.12 / 160416 Beta - Download

• 4. Re: VOBs audio out of sync after importing to Premier Elements
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would try to convert the mkv to mp4 with Handbrake (and its free).

Make sure it is set to CONSTANT FRAMERATE.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: VOBs audio out of sync after importing to Premier Elements
                  Val8583 Level 1

@Steve

I tried all that with no better results. Thank you for responding, but it just didn't work for me.

@Ann

Eureka! Handbrake converted the files and the audio remained in sync when imported to Premiere Elements.

I created a DVD and have played it. Audio is in perfect sync with the video. Hooray!!!

Thank you very much for your assistance. I will keep Handbrake as my preferred conversion tool.

I appreciate the time you both took to respond and your generosity in sharing your experience.

Best, vje

• 6. Re: VOBs audio out of sync after importing to Premier Elements

Great work, Ann!

As I said, converting video is a very tricky business. And unless you know what you're doing -- or you use a program preset to the right settings, like Handbrake -- you could do more harm than good.