4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2006 1:31 AM by juger

using FLVPlayback in Flash 8 with very long video files

juger
      I am playing around with using the FLVPlayback component in flash 8 and embedding the SWF file (which is calling an external FLV) in a win32 application (.net specifically) using the flash activeX control used in web browsers.

I need to be able to skip, at will, far ahead in the video which is 2h long. When I do any kind of seek (seconds, embedded nav points, actionscript cuepoints etc), it can literally take 20 sec to begin playback. I have the flash movie outputting the video state and it appears as though the seek lasts a second or two and then it buffers for 10-15 seconds before it starts playing. I have set bufferTime equal to 0 and it still insists on buffering for a long time.

How do I tell the component to begin playback as soon as it has a position in the movie? It would be nice to be able to just play from a byte offset but I dont see that option available. (this may be in the wrong category but there was no Flash Video category).

Thanks
      -Peter
        • 1. Re: using FLVPlayback in Flash 8 with very long video files
          Level 7
          You will want to use a Flash Media Server provider to help you make this
          happen:

Progressive Download (FLV):

"Viewers cannot seek forward through the video before it is completely
          downloaded. Viewers need to wait until the video is downloaded before they
          can navigate to a particular portion of the video. Because of this,
          streaming video will probably be a better choice than progressive download
          when you are delivering long video files in which you want to let viewers
          skip around, such as lengthy symposia or training materials."
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flv_download_03.html

Streaming Video (FLV)
          "Full seek and navigation: Viewers can immediately seek to any point in the
          video and have it start playing immediately. The streaming server
          immediately delivers the requested video and the user doesn't have to wait
          until the entire video is downloaded before navigating to a particular mark.
          This makes streaming a great solution for longer playing videos or
          applications such as video blogging, where you may want to jump into the
          video at a specific point rather than requiring the viewer to watch it from
          the beginning."
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flv_download_04.html
          --
          Lon Hosford
          www.lonhosford.com
          May many happy bits flow your way!
          "juger" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e38j06$cpd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          I am playing around with using the FLVPlayback component in flash 8 and
          embedding the SWF file (which is calling an external FLV) in a win32
          application (.net specifically) using the flash activeX control used in web
          browsers.

I need to be able to skip, at will, far ahead in the video which is 2h
          long.
          When I do any kind of seek (seconds, embedded nav points, actionscript
          cuepoints etc), it can literally take 20 sec to begin playback. I have the
          flash movie outputting the video state and it appears as though the seek
          lasts
          a second or two and then it buffers for 10-15 seconds before it starts
          playing.
          I have set bufferTime equal to 0 and it still insists on buffering for a
          long
          time.

How do I tell the component to begin playback as soon as it has a position
          in
          the movie? It would be nice to be able to just play from a byte offset but
          I
          dont see that option available. (this may be in the wrong category but
          there
          was no Flash Video category).

Thanks
          -Peter

• 2. Re: using FLVPlayback in Flash 8 with very long video files
            juger Level 1
            I appreciate your answer, however I need to have the streaming video functionality on a local machine with no internet connection.

I mentioned that this is for a Windows application, .NET 2.0 specifically, not the internet. I am using the Shockwave Interop assembly class to instantiate the flash player inside the windows application. The FLV file is therefore located on the local hard drive. Is there a way to stream flash video on the localhost without having to buy (and distribute $$) the Flash Media Server?
            • 3. Re: using FLVPlayback in Flash 8 with very long video files
              Level 7
              The answer is the same. There are three ways to include FLV files. Streaming
              will require a FMS. Progressive download can be local or over http. Embedded
              is just that embedded.

As for third party wrappers, it is best to consult their online forums for
              any issues.

--
              Lon Hosford
              www.lonhosford.com
              May many happy bits flow your way!
              "juger" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:e55md4$phi$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              I appreciate your answer, however I need to have the streaming video
              functionality on a local machine with no internet connection.

I mentioned that this is for a Windows application, .NET 2.0 specifically,
              not
              the internet. I am using the Shockwave Interop assembly class to
              instantiate
              the flash player inside the windows application. The FLV file is therefore
              located on the local hard drive. Is there a way to stream flash video on
              the
              localhost without having to buy (and distribute $$) the Flash Media Server?

• 4. using FLVPlayback in Flash 8 with very long video files
                juger Level 1
                Thats what I mean... running an FLV from the local drive in progressive mode has horrendous performance and if I want to do streaming from an isolated computer, I have to distribute it with every installation, which is big $$. It's a shame that Macromedia hasn't put more effort into developing stuff for windows developers. Using flash in a Win application for animations and video saves SO much time and hassle. They really need to design a solution for effectively playing flash video on a local system as an option in the FLVPlayback parameters.

(edit) I believe the Flash Player COM wrapper for .NET was actually made by macromedia and includes it in the Flash Player SDK. It appears that it exposes all of the methods of the flash player OCX that the web browsers use, so anything you can do with the OCX, you can do with the .NET wrapper.

P.S. Macromedia/adobe, please send me the Flash player SDK I requested!