3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 11:34 PM by BKKDon

I don't want XMP files

stephenc19

Hi guys, I'm relatively new to Lightroom, and I have a problem regarding XMP files beside my CR2 files. Basically, before, when I exported, all the metadata and changes I made to the photo in lightroom will be in the photo, but now, all the changed data is on the XMP file, and the CR2 file is just the same as before. I DO NOT want to have a sidecar file (the XMP) and just want to have everything saved in CR2 files. How would I do it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: I don't want XMP files
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi stephenc,

You need to turn off the setting to save changes in XMP file in Lightroom Or Import your file as DNG to get saved everything within the file.

Please refer the below video link and it will explain you very well.

Refer: The Most Important Setting in Lightroom is Set To Off By Default | Fstoppers

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: I don't want XMP files
            stephenc19 Level 1

Unfortunately, it says that if I can only save the metadata to original file with JEPC, TFF, PNG, PSD, and DNG. However, my camera shoots with CR2, so it said that if it's CR2 it would be "saved to sidecar files next to the original photo," which I don't want. Where's the settings to make the metadata save inside my original photo, or even create a new photo with the same format?Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 10.14.29 PM.png

• 3. Re: I don't want XMP files
              BKKDon Level 4

stephenc19 wrote:

Unfortunately, it says that if I can only save the metadata to original file with JEPC, TFF, PNG, PSD, and DNG. However, my camera shoots with CR2, so it said that if it's CR2 it would be "saved to sidecar files next to the original photo," which I don't want. Where's the settings to make the metadata save inside my original photo, or even create a new photo with the same format?

Basically Lightroom, like other RAW processors, is a non-destructive editor and WILL NOT change the original image but keep all changes in the Catalog.

The option you have in Lightroom is to Export as DNG or to use XMP sidecar files for CR2's