8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 7:03 AM by Laubender

Text boxes disappearing

dougmca

I am on Mac Indesign 6 and am laying out a 32 page colour magazine. Previously I have used Times as the body tpe, but my default typeface is Minion Pro so I decided to use that instead this time. For some reason type boxes are just disappearing as I work on them. I can go from the text tool to the arrow, click on the box and back it comes. This can happen several times and I am worried its going to get worse to the extent I start losing pages or the whole document crashes. Could my Indesign be corrupted somehow? The next problem is that my copy of Indesign was a download. I have the serial numberbut I don't know whether I can download because its probably not supported anymore. All a bit worrying.

• 1. Re: Text boxes disappearing
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What operating system? This seems to be a recurring problem with El Capitan.

CS6 has reached end of life and will not be updated to work properly with El Capitan.

As far as downloading: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html

• 2. Re: Text boxes disappearing
            dougmca Level 1

Yep I am on El Capitan. I have just had another message that Indesign is out of memory. This is really scary, but I can't believe I am the only person facing this.

• 3. Re: Text boxes disappearing
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You’re not.

Again, CS6 is not supported and these issues are common. And again, CS6 will never be updated again.

You have three choices: downgrade the operating system, upgrade to Creative Cloud or learn to live with it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Text boxes disappearing
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would suggest that you look at running a VM of an older OS, or dual-booting. I am triple-booting over here on my MBP (Lion, Yosemite, Windows) and while it's tedious to set up, it's worth it. When I upgrade to new hardware, I will take an image of my Lion install, where I keep my CS6 install, and continue using it, well, forever. 

• 5. Re: Text boxes disappearing
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Joel,

this is a good strategy for legacy documents. Often you cannot simply work on projects that were started years ago in a different version of InDesign without facing issues like text recomposing. Small edits would require proofreading the whole document. Other issues as well. New features could kick in etc.pp.

Currently I'm using two OSX versions on the same machine with two start-up volumes: OSX 10.7.5 and 10.10.3, because I still need my old CS5.5. On a second machine I have OSX 10.6.8 installed with all versions of InDesign from CS3 to CC.

I wonder, if I could run OSX 10.6.8 on a VM with a current MacBook Pro.
                  What kind of VM are you using?

Uwe

• 6. Re: Text boxes disappearing
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Uwe, I've used VirtualBox at home quite happily. One of the things I've missed most as a freelancer (as opposed to salaryman, I mean) is access to enterprise-grade VM tools. VMware has (or had?) a free VM player.

But now that my only hardware is an elderly MBP, I don't use much in the way of VM tools. My three OSes all run on bare metal; the performance hit and RAM demands are too much for my current hardware. One day soon I will get my hands on a Mac Pro, and then I will be back in VM business.

• 7. Re: Text boxes disappearing
                      dougmca Level 1

Well Joel, thanks for your response even if I didn't really understand it. No idea what a VirtualBox or VM are. I thought I had left the world of acronyms behind when I left the military, but I guess its the same in any closed field.To everyone else who responded, thanks for your time, but I have decided that for ease of use I will pay adobe's disgraceful monthly rental. It goes against the grain, but if I had known then what I know now I would never have upgraded to El Capitan.

[personal info removed by moderator]

• 8. Re: Text boxes disappearing
                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Doug, before doing that you should download a trial version of InDesign CC 2015 and see, if the problem persists.

Uwe