12 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 7:49 AM by oz_photo

LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work

oz_photo Level 1

I have exported some photos to a client including some virtual copies where I have converted to black and white.

But when the client sends back the pics, I get a text string which has the files names and the virtual copy file name ie. flower-0001-2

However I insert this string in the search field but the virtual copies don't appear.

I could export the virtual copies and add them back into the catalog but is there another way to get the search to pick these filenames up on the first go?

• 1. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi oz_photo,

You need to go to Photo menu > choose Stacking > Expand all stacks

and then, search for the file name.

Regards

Chetna

• 2. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
            oz_photo Level 1

No that does not work, when you place the filename like flower-0001-2 in the search field LR does not find it, it only finds flower-0001

• 3. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
              dj_paige Level 9

When you search for virtual copies, the identification is in the Copy Name field. Usually the first virtual copy is Copy 1, the second is Copy 2, but you can change that if you wish.

So you want to set the dropdown to Copy Name and then type Copy 1 or Copy 2 or whatever custom name you have applied to the photos.

you can also do this in smart collections, so you could search for file name of "flower-0001" and copy name of "Copy 1"

• 4. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I believe the problem here is that the virtual copy is not an actual copy of the image. It is only a copy of the metadata that is added to the catalog. There isn't a virtual "image" for Lightroom to locate. If Lightroom is searching for a file name it can only find a physical file. Maybe this is something that needs to be addressed by the developers.

• 5. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                  dj_paige Level 9

JimHess wrote:

I believe the problem here is that the virtual copy is not an actual copy of the image. It is only a copy of the metadata that is added to the catalog. There isn't a virtual "image" for Lightroom to locate. If Lightroom is searching for a file name it can only find a physical file. Maybe this is something that needs to be addressed by the developers.

My comment above explains how to search for Virtual Copies

• 6. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                    oz_photo Level 1

I am just trying to figure out my workflow here and are still unsure of what to do in my workflow.

I export all the selects including virtual copies.  so now I have flower-0001.jpg and flower-0001-2.jpg and send to the client.

The client selects flower-0001-2.jpg so I take the string of filenames from my website and place it into the search field but as you said it can't find it as it's not an actual filename.

2016-04-26 13_00_36-Lightroom.png

So the only way I see to get this done is.

1) flag every virtual copy lets say red color.

2) filter for red so all reds come up.

3) export these calling them ie. 0001VC.jpg and add then back into catalog.

4) delete all original virtual copies

5) export all photos including the (exported and renamed virtual copies) to client

this way when I do a search there will not be any virtual copies to screw up the search, I see not other way unless I am missing something, the key is when the client selects the file I must be able to search for it using the search field

• 7. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                      dj_paige Level 9

flower-0001-2 does not exist in your Lightroom. That is a name created when you exported the photo

It is very simple to find flower-0001 by searching in Lightroom, then the virtual copy associated with that photo is the one you want

Or, as I explained in Reply #3, you can use a smart collection to find photos whose file name is "flower-0001" and copy name "Copy 1".

Or as I explained in Reply #3, you can give names to your virtual copies and then search for them directly.

Don't make this harder than it has to be, it really is very simple.

• 8. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                        risspics

I completely agree with you, oz_photo and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out a workaround for this.

@dj_paige I don't think you quite understand what oz_photo is trying to do as I believe I am running into the same issue (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I understand that flower-0001-2 does not exist in LR as it is created upon export. This issue for me is because I do wedding photography and deliver 1,000 photos - some including a master copy (in color) as well as a virtual copy (in B&W for example). Let's say the client chooses 300 of their favorite photos for me to create a wedding album and in that list of file names, flower-0001-2 is listed (but not flower-0001) because the client prefers the B&W version, not the color version. I copy the list of 300 photo name files and do the search but only 200 photos show up in the search because the client liked 200 of the master copies and 100 of the virtual copies but those virtual copy file names were created upon export.

It's not very simple to sort through 1,000 photos and figure out which files are missing.

If anyone can help with a solution, it would be greatly appreciated!

• 9. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                          dj_paige Level 9

If you know the client wants flower-0001-2, you can search for flower-0001 and find both the orginal and the virtual copy. The fact that the client has request the "-2" version of this image ought to tell you that he is asking for a virtual copy. So in this way, you find the desired file.

You can also limit the search to ONLY virtual copies in the Filter Bar, click on Attribute, then click on the virtual copy icon.

So, you're right, I don't understand what is so hard about this.

• 10. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Simply rename the files on export including both file name and copy name. You will then know exactly which VC your client wants.

In the export dialog click the drop-down list for renaming and choose edit. That will open the template manager and you can choose the two fields to include on export. You can save the template as a user pre-set. Click image below.

CopyName.jpg

• 11. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you are exporting both the original and the virtual copy you should be ADDING them to the Catalog on export. Otherwise the exported VC is not a file in the catalog.

As other have said if the file name is ImageName>Number>sequence number all you have to do is go to the original File Name and look for the VC of it.

• 12. Re: LR 6 - Searching Virtual Copies Won't Work
                                oz_photo Level 1

Yes this works for me now unless there is an easier way. Thought I would share the way I did it.

1). I export all, add to catalog and into a different folder and upload all photos to my wordpress site.

2). Client selects the favs and I get an email containing a text string ( this text string includes all master and vc filenames)

3), I then take this text string copy and paste into the search field on that new folder I created on export.

4) All the client photos they selected appear. Done.