16 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 12:36 PM by amya82879962

Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date

amya82879962

Made the switch and now finding the problems.  419 .MV4 videos have the wrong dates of 1/1/1904.

Example.  Video taken 2/12/12.  In Lightroom, after running the Aperture to LR plugin, it lands in the "2012-02-12" folder.  So I KNOW it's got the data.

Metadata EXIF and IPTC pane say:

Folder: 2012-02-12

Metadata date: 4/19/2016 (when I ran the plugin)

Date Time Original: 1/1/1904

Date Time Digitized: 1/1/1904

Date Time: 4/19/2016 (when I ran the plugin)

Capture Date: January 1, 1904 (on default pane)

If I pull up the file up in finder it has the created, modified, and last opened dates all as 2/12/12 3:59PM (original file before plugin to LR).  If I pull it up on Windows after I've done the plugin it has modified date as 2/12/12 3:59. So the data is there!

The modified date is as close to correct as I can tell - how do I get that to be one of the many date fields: Date Time Original, Date Time Digitized, Capture Date.

The other 600+ .MOV files came over with varying degrees of correctness - just not 1/1/1904 but somewhere within the right month/year.  However, the landing folder is always correct which I'm still assuming is modified/created date.

No problems on the images - only videos.  It makes finding them close to impossible.

TIps?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

In general, LR's handling of video metadata is incomplete and buggy, e.g. see Lightroom: Read and write video metadata | Photoshop Family Customer Community

You can change LR's capture date to the file's creation date by doing Metadata > Edit Capture Time and selecting the option Change To File's Creation Date.  You can select many videos before invoking the command. Make sure you've made a working backup of both your catalog and your video files before you try this, because LR can't undo the operation.

• 2. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
            amya82879962 Level 1

Thanks for the response.  The issue that the file's creation date is when it was imported to the library - so then instead of 1/1/1904 they will all have 4/19/2016.  Again, since it's putting the file in the right date folder so the data I want is there.  I cannot see the data via LR (not in any of the metadata panes). If I could I suppose I could manually edit the capture date of 419 videos.  Ack!

Hey, you wrote that Any File plugin!  Would that be able to get at the data I want and change it to the capture date?  I would totally donate if so!!!

• 3. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date

That's too bad, you had originally though the Finder showed a creation date of 2/12/12Some options:

- If the file modified date is still useful, you could use a A Better Finder Attributes to copy the modified date to the creation date, then use LR's Edit Capture Time to set the catalog capture date to the file creation date.

- On Windows, you could use Exiftool to set the file creation date from the metadata capture date in the video, then use LR's Edit Capture time to set the catalog capture date to the file creation date.

- On Mac, you could use Exiftool to set the file modified date from the metadata capture date in the video, then use A Better Finder Attributes to copy the modified date to the creation date, then use LR's Edit Capture Time to set the catalog capture date to the file creation date.  (Unfortunately, Mac Exiftool doesn't let you set the file creation date.)

- The Any File and Video Asset Management plugins provide a different approach -- they will let you "import" the videos into your catalog as JPEG "proxies".   You can then search for the files and assign metadata, and you can play the videos using external video players.   But you can't edit the videos directly within LR.   Both plugins should import the correct capture date from the video metadata.  If you're just interested in video, the Video Asset Management plugin might be a slightly better choice, since it is specialized for video.

• 4. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                amya82879962 Level 1

Yikes.  You gotta go in deep to use the Exiftool.  I'm not seeing it work as I think it should in Windows 10.  Do you know of any software that has a better user interface that could do batches?  I'm assuming I'll take a look at a couple video files, see what field is most accurate, then try to write that field to the capture time field.  Seems only LR is using that field so I shouldn't loose much if I ever need to access it in another app.  I'm getting the same feeling I had with Aperture - that I can never escape easily.

I think you get what I'm trying to do.  I'm wiling to edit my video files so LR can show me them in the correct order.  Seems a lot of hoops to jump through just to get LR to handle videos.  Even Explorer handles them better!

Thanks in advance.

• 5. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                  Do you know of any software that has a better user interface that could do batches?

You could search for "exiftool gui".  There are (or were) several such tools out there, but I stopped using them -- the ones I tried crippled the full functionality of Exiftool. 

I'm assuming I'll take a look at a couple video files, see what field is most accurate, then try to write that field to the capture time field.

That won't work, since LR isn't able to read the capture-time metadata field.  You'll have to use Exiftool (or equivalent) to set the file creation date from the video capture date and then use LR's Edit Capture Time command to set LR's capture date from the file creation date (as described in my previous post).

• 6. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                    amya82879962 Level 1

Maybe I'm going about this wrong.  I'm trying to edit video metadata so LR can simply manage them by the correct date.  Maybe I need to just use something different for videos.  I only used Aperture to manage & view videos - I wasn't doing any magic on them - occasionally trimming them is all.  So why kill myself in LR when something else may display them to me just fine. 

It seems that this will be ongoing - not a one time batch fix but each time I upload videos.  Perhaps more trouble than it's worth.  Do you know what other video novices use to manage videos?  Seems like its not one of the Adobe CC apps. 

Thanks for all your knowledge on this.  I see your name all over the place while researching this.

• 7. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                      It seems that this will be ongoing - not a one time batch fix but each time I upload videos.

That's right.

I only used Aperture to manage & view videos - I wasn't doing any magic on them - occasionally trimming them is all.

The Any File and Video Asset Management plugins mentioned above let you manage and view.  But if you want to trim, you'll have to open them in an external program (e.g. Quick Time player on Mac) to do that.

Do you know what other video novices use to manage videos?  Seems like its not one of the Adobe CC apps.

You could look at the Photoshop Elements Organizer.  I stopped using it six years ago because it was so buggy and getting worse, but maybe it's gotten much better now.  I don't know of any other good options, but others might.

• 8. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                        robgendreau Level 3

Lr and videos are unhappy together IMHO.

I don't have sophisticated needs re video, but I do find it easier to use Bridge instead of Lr to manage them. Easier to edit metadata for videos too. Dunno if you have CC, but if so, it might work. You can change time stamps and apply a template to a batch of movies.

• 9. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                          It seems that this will be ongoing - not a one time batch fix but each time I upload videos.

I misspoke about this.  It's very possible that new videos you import into LR will have the correct (or almost correct) capture date. When LR can't read the actual capture date from the video's metadata, it will usually use the file's create date instead.  If you import from the SD card or from the camera via cable, the create date is usually preserved (at least long enough to set the capture date).  The file create date is usually the same as (or close to) the metadata capture date.

• 10. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                            amya82879962 Level 1

If I decide to manually edit the capture date in LR - will the original metadata be lost?  Is that only happening inside LR and won't affect the real metadata so it can be used correctly in other apps? Again, the folder it's landing in is the correct date so the data is there just LR isn't using it. 

If I import directly into LR, will the REAL metadata that it cannot access be lost? The thought of importing images to one app and videos to another app is daunting.  If it's dicking with the original metadata than I'll need to rethink. 

I'm still trying to get Exiftool working on Windows 10.  I'd love to look at all the real metadata.

• 11. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                              If I decide to manually edit the capture date in LR - will the original metadata be lost?

No, because LR is unable to write metadata back to videos or video sidecars.   Any changes you make to any video metadata (including capture date, captions, keywords, etc.) are in the LR catalog only.   LR doesn't touch the metadata stored in the video file.

Beware, however, that if you move the file on disk using LR, the file create date may be changed.  (The file create date is maintained by OS X for every file and isn't part of the video metadata.)   While OS X has had a convention of applications preserving create dates, more and more applications don't follow that convention, including LR, iPhoto, and many utilities.

If it's dicking with the original metadata than I'll need to rethink.

The solutions I described above change file create and modify dates and don't change actual metadata.

Again, the folder it's landing in is the correct date

That could likely have been the Aperture import plugin using date information obtained from Aperture.

• 12. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                                The thought of importing images to one app and videos to another app is daunting.

Then you might consider the plugins I mentioned above, especially the Video Asset Management plugin.  They are both a little clunkier than the built-in features of LR, but they handle video metadata much better (since they use Exiftool to read it).

• 13. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                                  amya82879962 Level 1

Okay, I've tested/tried some stuff and will write it here in hopes to clarify and maybe help some other poor soul:

• My issue is that I cannot see my videos in the order they were taken. It is not a matter of incorrect metadata. It's LR isn't using the right metadata AND sorting in the Library view/smart collections doesn't use any meaningful dates (I'm looking at you capture time).
                                  • Even if you have the correct capture date, you still cannot sort on that from within a video smart collection.
                                  • About imports landing in the correct folder:
                                    You gave me a hint with the "could likely have been the Aperture import plugin info..."  So I tried importing directly from the camera card.  It lands in the correct folder in this case too, the capture date is set correctly from top menu metadata - edit capture date.  However you cannot see that in any of the metadata views. 
                                  • In Grid view, I used "folder" as one of the "expanded cell extras" to help.  I can see the folder which tells me the date it was taken.  But they are not in order.  Sorting by folder would fix this.  An added bit of fun, most cells in the grid have the full folder path (YYYY-MM-DD) but some just have MM.  Totally random and totally not helpful.
                                  • Got the Video Asset Management plugin working.  I'm on LR 6 which has video thumbnails so it's not as needed. It would take running the plugin against any imported video, tagging it with a keyword to show in a smart collection, then run another plug in to launch a video individually.  It will do the job, but man, if Adobe is billing this as an Aperture replacement, it needs to be able to do simple, logical management.  Just using the modified date from the metadata and sorting by it.  

Next I'm going to try the CC trial of Bridge, but since I fully paid for LR I'm sure not gonna throw them 10 bucks a month for something that should already work.

Thanks for listening.

• 14. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                                    amya82879962 Level 1

The grid view one I figured out - user error.  Some folders were named YYYY/MM/YYYY-MM-DD vs. YYYY/MM/DD.  The DD was only showing.  Renamed to the full one. 

• 15. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date

Even if you have the correct capture date, you still cannot sort on that from within a video smart collection.

I forgot to raise earlier one additional LR problem: If LR isn't able to read the capture time from the metadata proper (videos or stills), it sets the capture time using the file dates.  Unfortunately, it does this in an inconsistent way, using the file modify or create date for the date shown in grid view, while using the time of import for the date shown in the Metadata panel and the date used for sorting.  See this bug report: Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos | Photoshop Family Customer Community

You can correct that inconsistency very simply by selecting all the imported videos, doing Metadata > Edit Capture Time and clicking Change All.   After doing that, the date under the grid thumbnail should match the capture time in the Metadata panel, and the videos should sort correctly.  

To summarize: Most people have found that with most cameras, if you import the videos directly from the camera card, don't do file renaming, and issue the Edit Capture Time command as described, you'll have consistent, reasonably accurate capture dates (as recorded by the camera).

Overall, LR's handling of video is a mess.

• 16. Re: Switched from Aperture to LR 6, videos capture date, date time digitized metadata as 1/1/1904 - need modified date
                                        amya82879962 Level 1

Thanks for all your replies.  Since these were created by the Aperture plugin, the Metadata > Edit Capture Time doesn't work because it puts it to the date the file was moved to the computer.  I'm dealing with moving videos from Aperture who handled metadata one way (correctly near as I can tell) to LR which, as you said, is a mess.

What I ended up doing was editing all the Capture Dates on the videos that had the year of 1904 - this is simply so I can see them in the order LR shows them in the smart collection.  As you said, Capture date doesn't get written back to the file.  What a silly field to use with so many other more logical dates. I did lose the renaming of the video done in Aperture in a majority of the cases, and will just have to live with it. 

I made sure to name all my folders the full date path, then put that in the grid view.  I then changed the capture date to the date in the folder view - that is the metadata that it should be using, but you can't see it in any of the metadata panels.

This was a complete silly use of time but my hope is I do it once and forget it.  Going forward, I'll be importing directly from the card and the times look to be correct thus far.  I'm really not concerned with exacts, just a close-enough.  LR couldn't even do that.  Sheesh.