17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 8:28 PM by Szalam Branched from an earlier discussion.

After Effects is rendering slowly

jes33976225

Just got CC on Saturday and am amazed at the atrocious SLOWNESS when simply trying to preview. I've spent half the time I've had the program in just youtube'ing how to speed this ridiculous program up. It's 2016 and this is worse than modem speed. Seemed like a cool program but absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to edit in at this rate. (Brand new iMac + 32G RAM + LACIE SSD.)

• 1. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
          Gutter-Fish Level 4

Was that your version of asking for help or advice? Or did you just come here to warn us all how terrible it is?

• 2. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jes wrote:

Just got CC on Saturday and am amazed at the atrocious SLOWNESS when simply trying to preview. I've spent half the time I've had the program in just youtube'ing how to speed this ridiculous program up. It's 2016 and this is worse than modem speed. Seemed like a cool program but absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to edit in at this rate. (Brand new iMac + 32G RAM + LACIE SSD.)

First of all, you don't edit in AE; After Effects is not a video editing program. If you want to edit video, you should do that in Premiere Pro.

Second, what are you comparing the speed to? AE of any version can seem slow if you're comparing it to an NLE because it works completely differently. It doesn't just play back a video stream. It sounds to me like you are expecting it to be something it isn't. If we had some more information, we might be able to help you.

Third, if you've turned on the ray-traced renderer, turn it off. It's obsolete and only slows things down.

Fourth, try AE CC 2014 (it's included in your subscription). It has the old architecture that some people prefer. However, it still needs to cache a preview to RAM before it can play anything back. AE is more like Nuke than it is like Premiere.

• 3. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
              jes33976225 Level 1

By editing I mean a 10 second Intro ! It's horrendously slow. Unbearable.

• 4. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Based on what you've told us, "horrendously slow"  could be anything between "not instantaneous" to "a week".  Where do you want us to throw our dart?

• 5. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                  jes33976225 Level 1

Throw the dart at a 10 Second intro with 3 simple layers - No Video - and for playback (in full - as I'd like to see it as it should look - imagine that) is taking about a minute+ Per Frame. Yes it feels like a week. Obviously with the innumerable complaints spanning hundreds of pages on the web regarding the 'speed' of AE - there's an obvious problem.

• 6. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly

jes wrote:

Throw the dart at a 10 Second intro with 3 simple layers - No Video - and for playback (in full - as I'd like to see it as it should look - imagine that) is taking about a minute+ Per Frame. Yes it feels like a week. Obviously with the innumerable complaints spanning hundreds of pages on the web regarding the 'speed' of AE - there's an obvious problem.

Do you have the ray-traced renderer turned on in your composition settings? If so, turn it back to the standard renderer.

If that's not it, what effects do you have applied to those three layers? A minute per frame is very slow. What size is your comp?

• 7. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

So with all the time you spent researching how to speed it up...what have you tried?

There has been trouble with Apple's latest OS and with AE2015.  Not to mention muti core support has been removed (temporarily)

from 2015 and it is riddled with bugs or at least it was.  I stopped using it about 3 days after it released and went back to 2014.

Also luckily  I don't have money to throw away on Apples, overpriced, locked down hardware.

You should see if you can return it and get a PC instead.

Unfortunately, especially with iMac (as opposed to a MacPro) your pretty much locked into the hardware you  buy so it's good to really do your research.  Just for the future.  With a PC it's considerably cheaper for the same power plus you can swap parts if need be

and you don't have to visit those zoos called Apple Stores.

Can you even roll back the OS's on iMacs?  Or set the affinity of the processor so it only runs a single core?

In terms of your computer I guess you're pretty much stuck with what you got.

Your best bet is to install AE 2014 via the CC app.  You can have multiple versions installed side by side.

here's a visual aid

Re: how can i install an earlier version (2014) of creative cloud apps?

BTW.  You'd probably get better responses if you tried asking a question.  Maybe even pleasantly.

Just showing up and laying down a bunch of anger & frustration without asking a question or being specific

with relevant details almost never bears good fruit

• 8. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                        jes33976225 Level 1

Ray trace is OFF and has never been on. And gutter-fish, I've been using macs for many years and have two iMac 27's side by side right now - one being brand new. I run an intensive ProTools rig - and have no issues. So "returning it for a PC" is hilarious. ("just for the future.") As far as posting frustratingly - who cares ? I'm paying Adobe, it's the year 2016 and as I said, it's like comparing to dialup modem speed. As far as I've found in what appears to be thousands of unresolved complaints regarding AE's slow performance - I was already banking on Not getting an answer/fix. Nobody has a secret to this so I could care less about making it sound soft for any sensitive eyes out there. But thanks for your time - I do appreciate it and I will possibly revert back to 14's app - though how stupid is that to have to do.

• 9. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                          jes33976225 Level 1

Thanks Ray Trace has always been off - and I'm on a new iMac with 32g ram + AE on Lacie SSD.

• 10. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly

jes wrote:

Thanks Ray Trace has always been off - and I'm on a new iMac with 32g ram + AE on Lacie SSD.

What effects are you working with? You say you have three "simple" layers, but that's not enough info for us to help you. I have a MacBook Pro from 2011 running El Capitan and AE CC 2015 works really well on it, so I'd like to try to recreate what you're doing so I can try to help you troubleshoot what's going awry for you.

• 11. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                              jes33976225 Level 1

That's really cool of you - thank you. Honestly I don't know every one - as it is simply an intro template that I've completed in filling out. I know motion blur - an ellipse an what not but when the preview gets to that moment, it seems fine. It's really in the very beginning when the logo is 'falling' onto the center. So 2 different camera controls controlling that. I don't know if you're interested in seeing it - I can email it to you I assume.

• 12. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly

I'm guessing there's a lot more than three layers. Hit that shy switch and see how many layers are really there!

And, yes, you can send me the file and I can look at it.

• 13. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                                  Gutter-Fish Level 4

Of course your rig ran pro-tools with no problem.  Pro-Tools was designed for Mac specifically.  And besides that I was not questioning or ctiticising the proccessing power of an iMac.  I was saying that they when you run into a compatibility problem Macs are completely locked up.  With  a PC you may only to replace a single component for a few hundred dollars whereas with a Mac you're out the entire cost of the rig.

Anyway it seems we've finally learned you're working with a template which may be the first step to helping you out.

• 14. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                                    jes33976225 Level 1

Thanks - though figured a template would be irrelevant vs my own self created project.

• 15. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly

jes wrote:

Thanks - though figured a template would be irrelevant vs my own self created project.

Nope. Templates are notoriously complicated! As is this one.

Speaking of this one, there are not "three simple layers", I'm afraid. That project uses 23 compositions! Each one containing any number of layers - some have a whole bunch. One has nearly forty layers and another has thirty-something. There's a lot more going on there than you seem to think.

Some templates are built better than others. I've gone through this one just a bit and I can already see a number of things that could be done more efficiently. This is a very heavy project especially considering what it's trying to do and how it's trying to do it.

Long story short, this is a pretty complex project and I would be unsurprised to find out it takes a while to render. You haven't mentioned what your processor was, but this project might benefit from multiprocessing in the rendering. You can either wait for it to finish (which will take a while, but it's to be expected with something like this) or you can try rendering it with AE CC 2014 with multiprocessing turned on in the preferences.

• 16. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly
                                        jes33976225 Level 1

Thank you SO much szalam!! Really cool of you to take the time to check this out. After tweeking every setting I've found to tweek - I guess the last resort is indeed CC14. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

• 17. Re: After Effects is rendering slowly

Just so you know, I don't expect it to make a really huge difference in rendering speed. It's a pretty slow project because of the way it's built, so don't get your hopes up too far.