2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 2:30 PM by kenm33329161

Adding Qualifier and Unit to InDesign Dictionary.

kenm33329161 Level 1

Is there a way I can get InDesign to recognise units (such as centimetre abbreviated to 'cm') together with the preceding qualifier, i.e. 3cm or 6cm, or 30mph?  It is frustrating that each time I write a different, for example, distance or speed, it is seemingly identified as a 'new word'. InDesign obviously recognizes a preceding qualifier (i.e. $34.78) but not a following qualifier. Engineers, and others, require the qualifier 'one with' the unit so simply adding 'cm' as a word and leaving a space is not an option. Many thanks. Ken

• 1. Re: Adding Qualifier and Unit to InDesign Dictionary.
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd say that it's because the $ is a symbol and 3cm where 3 and C and M are all individual characters.

You could do a search for in GREP

\d+?(cm|mm|mph)

Change to

Leave blank

Change formatting

Double click the empty box there - and navigate to Advanced Formatting and set it to No Language.

Alternatively, if you're using Paragraph Styles

Setup a new character style called No Language - and in the Advanced Formatting section set it to No Language

In the Paragraph Style go to GREP and insert

\d+?(cm|mm|mph)

and choose the new No Language

This sets the \d (digit) + (keep looking for digits) ? (stop looking at end of string) (cm|mm|mph) where the brackets indicate a group and the pipe | indicates OR

Of course this also means that if it's 10.45cm or 10.456 cm it won't work - well it will find either .45cm and not .456 cm as there's a space.

So you could do

\d+?\.\d+?(cm|mm|mph)|\d+?(cm|mm|mph)

Not sure how well that would work though - as I haven't tried it.

• 2. Re: Adding Qualifier and Unit to InDesign Dictionary.
            kenm33329161 Level 1

Eugene,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to respond to my query.

I haven’t yet tested it out but am confident enough to guess you know what you are talking about – you certainly sound as though you do! – and have marked your answer as ‘Correct’.

Once again, many thanks.

With kind regards,

Ken

Perth, Western Australia