15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 8:09 PM by Szalam

AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback

randyalan99 Level 1

Hi all,

I've never posted on the forums before, but I've been experiencing an issue I can't seem to solve. I am working on a lyric video project in AE (1 video files, with many text layers). I'm getting frustrated because for some reason, when I playback what I'm working on, AE will just shut down randomly. No window, no warning, or anything. I can't even pinpoint it to something in the my project because it's just simple text layers with animations.

I have edited a lyric video exactly like this before and had no issues like this, however the only differences were, I was running Windows 8.1 at the time instead of Windows 10, and I had an older version of AE CC 2015.

Anyone run into a problem similar to this?

I don't believe it's my video card, but who knows with NVIDIA and the way their drivers operate. I had to roll-back since their newest update handling VR is a mess.

System is:

Lenovo Y50

Intel i7 4710HQ

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 860m 4gb

512GB SSD

• 1. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's really odd. I've not had any issues on Windows 10 yet.

Does it do it if you remove the video file from the project? (Also, what format and codec is that footage?)

Do you have the hardware accelerate panels option turned on or off? (Whichever it is, switch it and try again.)

• 2. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
            randyalan99 Level 1

It is really weird, never had this issue before. It happens when I hit play (space bar) to playback the comp, and it'll just shutdown. Doesn't happen every time I playback, but enough to make me think there is an issue somewhere.

Turned off auto-save, have hardware acceleration on, I'll try and switch that to see if that helps. Format is mp4 h.264 at 1080p. The video is a rendered comp I made it Premiere. The only other variable is that all the footage was shot at 4k originally then rendered at 1080, but I don't think that would really affect this problem.

• 3. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback

Just for funzies, try rendering out of Premiere into a production codec instead of a highly compressed codec like h.264. I'm thinking QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec or maybe Cineform and use that instead of the MP4. (It's not a great idea to use MP4 files in production anyway, especially not if you can avoid it - you don't want to double-compress!)

• 4. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
                randyalan99 Level 1

Just tried it, still is doing it. Do you think the problem could be in one of the files I am using is based off of an external hard drive? I'm just confused because like I stated earlier, I've edited an exact replica of this type of project under the same conditions, except for Windows 10, new AE version, and different graphics card driver.

Sidenote...what would you recommend using for uncompressed lossless codecs? Most of my work is web based only, however I do some projects for broadcast. I'm shooting at 4k 24p 100Mbps most of the time, and 96fps to 24p at 1080p 100mbps. I have been getting into composite work more now. I'm also Windows based, would love to get some recommendations for codecs/different formats to use.

• 5. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback

Try moving the file to your local drive and see if the problem changes.

randyalan99 wrote:

Sidenote...what would you recommend using for uncompressed lossless codecs?...I'm also Windows based, would love to get some recommendations for codecs/different formats to use.

I use mostly Windows too (but I do have a MacBook Pro for travel work).

Both of the codecs I suggested work very well in a Windows workflow as would DNxHD. They're not technically lossless, but they are visually lossless. If you're doing anything but keying, they should work. For really critical stuff (like keying), QuickTime with the PNG codec works well as would an image sequence like PNG, TIF, etc. although, I'd suggesting doing keying on the full-res 4K untranscoded file. Heck, if your camera captures in a compressed format, I'd recommend getting an external recorder that can record in a higher-quality format with LOG or something - then you can have some real fun with color grading!

• 6. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
                    Doobomb

Hey,

Just updated to 13.7.1.6 yesterday. Last time I updated couldn't have been more than a few months ago. After Effects crashes 50% of the time during playback for me now. Didn't happen before. Thought I'd add on to this, so you know you're not the only one.

Computer specs:

Windows 10

16GB of RAM

500GB SSD (100GB allocated for disc cache)

Nvdia Quadro k1100M

Best,

Ken

• 7. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback

Doobomb wrote:

After Effects crashes 50% of the time during playback for me now.

That sounds terrible!

What sort of crash?

Do you get any error messages? If so, what do they say?

What do your system crash logs say?

• 8. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
                        Doobomb Level 1

Hello,

I'm not sure if "crash" was the right term to use, but the program just closes. There's no "Program has stopped responding" window or anything. It's very abrupt and out-of-nowhere.

As for system crash logs, I'm not too familiar with how to navigate Event Viewer. I see a lot of errors under "System" in Event Viewer, but I don't see anything about After Effects in the descriptions of those errors; however, I do see errors that mention After Effects under "Applications."

One error says, "The program AfterFX.exe version 13.7.1.6 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed." Its source is listed under "Application Hang." There are also errors sourced from "Application Error" that mention After Effects.

Hope that clarifies my situation more.

• 9. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback

With the available information, I really don't know what to suggest to you other than to contact Adobe support and see if they can help. It's likely an issue on your end, but I don't know what else to ask for to help figure it out. I'd be looking in the direction of graphics driver issues first. You might check NVIDIA for some other driver versions and try them. (Huh, turns out I could think of something else to try...)

You could also file a bug report. Bug reports go directly to the AE team. They are unlikely to respond unless they need more information, but at least they'll know of your issue in case it's something they need to fix on their end.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
                            Doobomb Level 1

Szalam,

Thank you for the help.

I just downgraded to a previous version of After Effects. Luckily, it doesn't crash during playback.

• 11. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
                              randyalan99 Level 1

Doobomb,

That's what fixed it for me as well: downgrading to the previous version of AE. I tried everything from different Nvidia drivers to changing my storage units I used (ssd, harddrives), even tried different resolutions and codecs for my footage. Nothing seemed to fixed AE just shutting down unexpectedly without any errors messages or anything.

• 12. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
                                filmcomposerz

same here. I am working on keyed footage and it just constantly crashes. Annoying me because I am on a deadline with a client and before the updates AE was working fine. NOw it sucks

• 13. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback

filmcomposerz wrote:

same here. I am working on keyed footage and it just constantly crashes. Annoying me because I am on a deadline with a client and before the updates AE was working fine. NOw it sucks

Which update did you do? I mean, what version were you using and what version did you update to?

If 13.7.x (CC 2015) was working for you, but 13.8.1 (CC 2015.3) isn't, it's really, really easy to go back!

• 14. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback
                                    filmcomposerz Level 1

I haven't had time to do a roll back, but now Premiere is lagging. Its ridiculous. I am moving away from Sony Vegas Pro only because I use AE quite a bit. But with the way Premiere is running right now, I guess I'll stick with Vegas Pro. I've never in the 8 or 9 years that I've used Vegas Pro encountered this kind of lagging. Uggg.

• 15. Re: AE CC 2015 13.7.1.6 Keeps Shutting Down During Playback

I have good news: it doesn't take any time at all to roll back. CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3 can be installed alongside each other AND the After Effects project files are interchangeable between the three versions of AE. So, all you have to do is tell your CC app to install CC 2015 or CC 2014 (or both) which doesn't take very long and you can keep working while it's downloading! Then you just launch it and open your project files and keep working.