1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 3:33 AM by Ann Bens

What's the Optimal Video Compression - in Premiere Elements?

Alex-F Level 1

Hello Everyone,

This post is about propositions based on experiences, for optimal video compression, that is viewing quality versus file size.

As being a photographer for many years, I have learned and come to the conclusion that an optimal JPEG compression, as a rule of thumb in Photoshop in many cases are 10/12 for prints.

Two similar questions on Premiere Elements as I am rather new to video and the tool:A) I have heard that, for optimal viewing quality vs file size, regarding exporting to DVD one should not go below a Bitrate of: 8 Mbit/s.

8 Mbit/s is on the top of the scale in PRE. Thus I wonder is this a good rule-of-thumb - or can one go below 8 Mbit/s with maintained viewing quality - like in the JPEG 10/12 case above - in order to save file size? Is so what are your rule-of-thumbs then?

B) I am eager to explore the possibilities of Premiere Elements MP4, H.264 for my multi-player, USB-input - to show on a Full HD TV 1080p PAL.

This will be my first case on this workflow, and as the PRE 9 only supports the advanced settings, please advice me what the optimal settings are here. That is for:

- Desired bitrate

- Maximum bitrate

and

- Frames per second- Anything more concerning exporting to MP4, H.264 video, to have in mind?

Thank you for your cooperation!

• 1. Re: What's the Optimal Video Compression - in Premiere Elements?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A. You can go down to 6 or 7 before visible degrading is showing.

But its trial and error. Also depends on the movement in the video, or vbr is used or cbr.

B. Optimal settings depend on the player (read the manual on what it can do and what not)

In video its lots of trial and error and the equipment is owned.

In other words there is no straight answer.

Start with presets within the program and tweak them as you go along.