9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 7:45 AM by jorsch28

Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign

jorsch28

I've recently upgraded to El Capitan.  I used to be able to copy and paste a combination of images and text, from Pages into InDesign. This enabled me to then copy the InDesign combination as one frame and paste - as one graphic - in any application. However, now when I paste a box with text in it, the background is black.  How do I change the background.  I've tried importing in different ways, including through Photoshop, but the same thing is happening in Photoshop.  (Also tried creating a text frame in InDesign and then pasting the text, but it then reverts to the default type.)  Interestingly, when there is a graphic with two text boxes, only one of the text boxes has the black background.  I've tried previous forum answers, but none of them are working for me.  I'm usually able to fudge my way around problems, but not this one.  Is anyone able to help ... please!

• 1. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best advice that I've read (I don't actually do this since I don't use Pages with any regularity): Save your Pages file as a Word file. Place or paste from Word.

• 2. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
            jane-e Adobe Community Professional

If the only problem is a black fill, then change the fill to None in the Control panel (as shown) or the Swatches panel.

If that's not it, then the command in Pages is File > Export To > Word, followed by File > Place in InDesign.

Copy and Paste from other applications removes all formatting, as you discovered, *unless* you go to Preferences > Clipboard Handling in InDesign and select that you don't want Text only. You want All Information, especially those Styles and Swatches.

One of these should work for you.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
              hsavageo

So to work with InDesign I now have to buy a copy of Word?

The program used to deal with Pages just fine. What changed?!

This is a major PITA

• 4. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know of nothing that's changed in InDesign re Pages. Copy and pasting to the Clipboard is always a chancey operation. InDesign doesn't really understand Pages text boxes.

• 5. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So to work with InDesign I now have to buy a copy of Word?

Of course not! Steve and Jane-e both suggested that you could save as Word, then place the Word file into ID - neither action requires you to have Word installed. Steve added that you could copy/paste from Word, but he also suggested placing in the same breath. That's under File -> Place in InDesign.

The program used to deal with Pages just fine. What changed?!

I think I can help you with that. You told us what changed, after all:

I've recently upgraded to El Capitan.

Clipboard services are provided by the OS, more or less. It's not quite that simple, but I think that the one variable in your situation is the OS. We forum regulars usually advise that workflows based on copy & paste are fragile; the best way to handle such resources with InDesign is to place files using File -> Place. Doing so is not always convenient; I'm sure that you are copying and pasting from Pages because it's the easiest way to achieve your aims. However, as you've learned with your upgrade to El Capitan, workflows that rely on the clipboard can be fragile.

I think that if you were to describe your goals, not your process, then the locals here could help you figure out the easiest way to achieve what you're trying to do, with the fewest clicks and the most reliability.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Unless I missed something you haven't told us what version of InDesign you're using. Anything earlier than CC2015 is not supported and CS6 in particular is a complete crapshoot with no chance of ever seeing an update to fix anything that El Capitan broke.

• 7. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
                      hsavageo Level 1

My issue was updating a huge tournament rules segment. Copy/Paste was so easy - auto-assigning existing formatting to the pasted revised text.

This just forces me to rely on style sheets more - just holding on to the easy old ways.

InDesign CC 2015 and, alas, El Capitan

I did find that I can copy/paste from a pdf created from Pages and have the formatting assigned. That helped.

• 8. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
                        jorsch28 Level 1

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.  So far, no luck.  It's definitely an issue with upgrade of OS and Pages.  When I go into old Pages work and copy and paste into InDesign, I have no problems.  Following is part of a graphic with text.Example.png

• 9. Re: Problems pasting text box from Pages to InDesign
                          jorsch28 Level 1

It did work going through Word.  However, whenever possible I shall continue to use the old version of Pages.  So much simpler.  Thanks for help.