5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 11:09 AM by Rick Gerard

Problem with rendering mp4 in 1920x3240px in h264 codec

philippb30128717

Hello,

I'm trying to render out an animation portrait 1920x3240px. The film is gonna be screened on three FullHD TV's on top of each other.

The problem is that the video is always getting downsized to a smaller resolution. I was also trying to render the film from Adobe Media Encoder with the settings Profile: high and Level: 5.2 or 5.1 but it always sizes down the film.

Is that a limitation of the codec? Do you have a work around or another idea?

Thanks for any hints or tipps!!!!

Best, philipp

• 1. Re: Problem with rendering mp4 in 1920x3240px in h264 codec
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What system are you using to drive these TV's? Often they'll take separate video files and sync them together in the playback device.

On another note, I wouldn't suggest trying to make an H.264 with AE. They've removed that option in the latest versions because it was a bit buggy. You can technically still do it by embedding an H.264 inside an MOV, but Apple doesn't support that option and it's even buggier than the old way was. Long story short, don't use AE to make your compressed deliverable.

I'd suggest rendering an intermediate codec out of AE and then use the Adobe Media Encoder to make your H.264. When you say AME sizes the video down, what does it size it down to? Also, what (exact) version numbers of AE and AME are you using?

• 2. Re: Problem with rendering mp4 in 1920x3240px in h264 codec
            philippb30128717 Level 1

Hi Szalam,

thanks for your reply!

I got it working now. I found the solution with Quicktime 7 Pro. I rendered the film as an image sequence out of AE and exported that seq out of Quicktime as a mpeg4 with h264 codec.

Thanks anyways! Best,

Philipp

• 3. Re: Problem with rendering mp4 in 1920x3240px in h264 codec
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You've got to be careful. H.264 in a quicktime container is a dangerous and unsupported format by Apple. H.264 has specific frame sizes and frame rates that are legal because of the way the compression is calculated. See this:H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you are sending video to multiple monitors it is very important that you choose good software to do the job and you follow their recommendations for format and compression. Your frame size is not going to work reliably as an h.264 Quicktime file on all systems. It is not a good idea. I've done multiple screen presentations a lot and I always use the recommended procedure from the folks that developed the playback system. If they recommended using h.264 in a QuickTime container to force a weird frame size I would either look for a different delivery system or only deliver the product with a disclaimer in the contract that stated that I could not guarantee that my product would work reliably. 

• 4. Re: Problem with rendering mp4 in 1920x3240px in h264 codec
                philippb30128717 Level 1

Thats interesting..

The format and the codec was a clear demand from the screening agency. So they asked me to export the video in this particular size, codec and format. I pretty much leave it to them to make it work now. If they run into issues they still can concert the movie to another format.

Thanks for all your support

• 5. Re: Problem with rendering mp4 in 1920x3240px in h264 codec
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I had a client specify a QuickTime H.264 I would inform them that QuickTime and H.264 are no longer supported by Apple and prone to problems. That would be in my contract and I would deliver an image sequence along with the rendered movie they would have a back up.

The last thing you want is your client coming after you with a lawsuit when their presentation blows up at the gala event you've been working on for weeks and embarrasses the CEO in front of the investors. That has happened to other producers.  Being ignorant of potential problems does not protect you at all. You must educate yourself and protect yourself.