3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2006 2:47 PM by lazlo

Trouble With Linear Gradients...

lazlo
      Okay..

I create a shape, and change the fill from solid to linear….gradient handler appears showing a horizontal gradient applied. I want a vertical.

If I click/drag the square fill handle, as soon as I release the mouse the square and circle handlers stack up on each other. It’s not possible to drag one away from the other so Ctrl-z it is and start again, dragging the square handler in two step to avoid the same thing happening again. Very annoying.

Also, when trying to create a perfect vertical linear gradient, the only constrain that can be performed is by using the Ctrl to drag the square handler along its current plane, so you have to then squint at the screen to see if you’ve moved it so the handler bar is straight vertically.

Is there any way to constrain adjustments, for example 45 degree segments?
        • 1. Re: Trouble With Linear Gradients...
          Level 7
          I have found the same issue with no workaround, except this:

Create VERTICAL box that approximates the horizontal box you want. So if you
          want a wide short box, create a tall skinny box. Make your gradient and it
          gets applied to this box. As soon as you do that, click Q and rotate the box
          90 degrees so that the gradient is now vertical and has the right color on
          top.

As far as dragging the irksome gradient control:

The above technique for gradients eliminates the need to control the
          gradient using the handles, except if you want to shorten the gradient, in
          which case the CTRL contstraint works perfect. No more messing with the
          angles!

Doug

On 5/3/06 1:07 PM, in article e3ao13$5in$1@forums.macromedia.com, "lazlo"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Okay..
          >
          > I create a shape, and change the fill from solid to linear?.gradient handler
          > appears showing a horizontal gradient applied. I want a vertical.
          >
          > If I click/drag the square fill handle, as soon as I release the mouse the
          > square and circle handlers stack up on each other. It?s not possible to drag
          > one away from the other so Ctrl-z it is and start again, dragging the square
          > handler in two step to avoid the same thing happening again. Very annoying.
          >
          > Also, when trying to create a perfect vertical linear gradient, the only
          > constrain that can be performed is by using the Ctrl to drag the square
          > handler
          > along its current plane, so you have to then squint at the screen to see if
          > you?ve moved it so the handler bar is straight vertically.
          >
          > Is there any way to constrain adjustments, for example 45 degree segments?
          >

• 2. Re: Trouble With Linear Gradients...
            Level 7
            lazlo wrote:

> Okay..
            >
            > I create a shape, and change the fill from solid to linear?.gradient handler
            > appears showing a horizontal gradient applied. I want a vertical.

Click and hold on the Paint bucket tool to show the Gradient tool.
            Select the gradient tool and drag it across the object you have filled
            in the direction you want the gradient to flow. You can also download
            the excellent Fill Handles Assistant from Project Fireworks and use that.

http://www.projectfireworks.com/Lab.aspx?show=extension_fill_handles_assistant.html

--
            Linda Rathgeber ACE ::: PVII
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------
            Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------
            Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
            • 3. Re: Trouble With Linear Gradients...
              lazlo Level 1
              Doug, Linda,

Thanks for your help on this.