9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 10:37 AM by openskies2009

MacBook Finder tags and LR

Karenthenewbie

Good morning,

I am VERY new to LR.  I've had 3 for a long time but life got in the way of learning it.  I'm hoping to upgrade to 6, but before I do I wanted to know about tags.  I have a rather large amount of pictures and most are tagged in finder in one way or another. 

I hope my question is a simple enough one..............................will the tags I've allocated on my mbp be kept when imported into LR?

• 1. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you referring to the color labels in Finder to which you may or may not have assigned a category word. Or are you referring to keywords which also display in iPhotos or the new OSX Photos app?

If the latter, it’s probably safest to export versions from the photo app to the desktop with IPTC metadata embedded and then import those copies into Lightroom.

• 2. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
            Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

hermindseye wrote:

I have a rather large amount of pictures and most are tagged in finder in one way or another.

I hope my question is a simple enough one...will the tags I've allocated on my mbp be kept when imported into LR?

Lightroom recognizes photo keywords that adhere to the IPTC industry standard that works across many photo applications from different companies. Unfortunately, Finder tags don't use that standard, they're a special format that only works in the Finder (as far as I know), so Finder tags won't be imported into Lightroom. I don't know of an application other than the Finder that recognizes Finder tags.

I just tried importing an image with a Finder tag into Apple Photos, and even Apple Photos won't read Finder tags. But because Apple Photos does support standard keywords, the other way would work: If you had applied keywords to your images in Apple Photos or iPhoto and then exported the images, Lightroom would import those keywords.

• 3. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
              Karenthenewbie Level 1

Thank you very much Conrad C.  I greatly appreciate your help    Seems I have a bit of work to do.  I have most photos filed by subject  and sub-subject so it shouldn't be horribly time consuming.  I have my concerns of only tagging in LR just because of CC.  If there are no further stand alone LR versions coming - I may want to use something else in the future.  So to solely rely on LR keywords which may or may not be transportable makes me a bit nervous - so I will do the same in iPhoto as well. 

Again, thank you for your time.  And thank you as well 99Jon. When I do the import I will follow your direction. 

• 4. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
                Karenthenewbie Level 1

99Jon - I created my own tags - not the color ones.

Actually, do you know if one is better than the other between iPhoto and the Photos app?  I feel I should research before asking this question so I apologize ahead of time - but your response led me to it so I figured I would ask. 

• 5. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven’t really used Photos so can only recommend iPhoto. By the way, if you take out a monthly subscription to the Photography Plan at $9.99 pm (or local currency price) your photos, tags, descriptions (captions) and titles remain safe. Even if you cancel in the future only the LR Develop module used for editing gets disabled. So the Library with all your metadata will stil be accessible and you can still export copies from your masters.

P.S. Adobe have not announced there will not be future stand alone versions so LR7 will very likely appear in the near future.

• 6. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
                    Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Karenthenewbie wrote:

I have most photos filed by subject and sub-subject so it shouldn't be horribly time consuming.

If you already have your photos organized in Finder folders, that’s great. If you import them into Lightroom using the Add option (not the Copy or Move option), Lightroom will leave them in their existing folders, so you can find things in Lightroom the same way you do in the Finder, by looking through the folder hierarchy. That’s how I imported all the photos I organized before using Lightroom.

Karenthenewbie wrote:

If there are no further stand alone LR versions coming - I may want to use something else in the future. So to solely rely on LR keywords which may or may not be transportable makes me a bit nervous - so I will do the same in iPhoto as well.

Tagging in Lightroom is totally safe since it uses standard keywords. For example, if you imported a JPEG image and tagged it in Lightroom, and had Lightroom save the keywords back out to the file, any other photo application that uses standard keywords will be able to see the tags you added to that image, because they’re not Lightroom-specific.

There has never been an official statement that Lightroom 6 is the last non-subscription version. I think some misinterpret the fact that Lightroom 6 gets no further feature updates (unlike Lightroom CC). But that’s the same as saying Word 6 gets no further feature updates until Word 7; that's normal. We don’t know when or if there’s another major upgrade coming to the non-subscription version of Lightroom, but it hasn’t been ruled out yet.

Karenthenewbie wrote:

So to solely rely on LR keywords which may or may not be transportable makes me a bit nervous - so I will do the same in iPhoto as well.

You shouldn’t have to enter keywords in both Photos and Lightroom, because as I mentioned earlier, they both use standard keywords so either program can read keywords exported from the other.

On iPhoto vs Photos, you want to go with Photos because that’s what Apple has moved to. iPhoto still works, but Apple has stopped updating it.

• 7. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
                      Karenthenewbie Level 1

Thank you very much for your response    I didn't realize that the library would stay accessible......that's great news actually.

• 8. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
                        Karenthenewbie Level 1

Conrad thank you!   I'll go with Photos if needed but if it will read the keywords from LR and vice versa I will just get them into LR 3 for now as you described and go from there.  I agree with you both that there may still be a LR 7 - and based on the release history sooner rather than later - so I'll hold off another month or two before upgrading to either get 7 or get 6 and hopefully stay in the time frame for the free upgrade from 6.

You really have been great.  I greatly appreciate your time and effort.

• 9. Re: MacBook Finder tags and LR
                          openskies2009 Level 1

This works awesomely! Takes finder tags and converts them to lightroom / adobe keywords

Prepression: MetaConfusion – Apple Finder Tags vs. Keyword Metadata