5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2016 9:24 AM by Rick Gerard

Simple Question About Cloning!

Video Noob

Hello Everyone,

I am here for guidance on the cloning effect. Now I have searched and gotten a general perspective on utilizing this effect with or without a green screen but not the specifics. I don't mean step-by-step technical advice but I have yet to find an instructional video on how this effect (http://tinyurl.com/hd72hmf) can be done. If anyone can explain how its done in 5 lines or less, i believe I can figure out the rest on my own.

Thank You!

• 1. Re: Simple Question About Cloning!
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Motion control camera so the camera moves exactly the same every time, carefully positioned actor, on set playback to match the audio, and masking. That's all there is to it. It's just layers.

To do it yourself use a locked off camera. If you plan to have camera movement you'll have to get very good at tracking and timewarp to get things to line up.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Simple Question About Cloning!
            Video Noob Level 1

I appreciate the information Rick. I also noticed there was green screened used at 3:50 to 3:53 you can see his hand has the green screen warp when it passes his clones face and also at 4:03, the pillows on the couch change I am guessing due to the masking or just a scene change which might've been intentional I couldn't really tell either way its irrelevant. thanks for the response again!

• 3. Re: Simple Question About Cloning!

They may have done some green screen and camera tracking. I don't see any "green screen wrap" in the shot where the things fly out of his hands. I see some light wrap which can also be done with roto. That would be backlight from the window... The other stuff is just best match given production schedule and budget.

Personally I don't care much for the video and don't think the production value is all that high.

• 4. Re: Simple Question About Cloning!
                Video Noob Level 1

Very true but I am somewhat new to the whole video creation scene. Thanks again though!

• 5. Re: Simple Question About Cloning!

Compositing and visual effects is basically layers and blend modes. You throw in an Effect to help that process along. It's just like making a collage with a bunch of photos and some scissors. Paper Cuts Outs (gouaches découpés) of Henri Matisse

If you are interested in creating videos then you must learn about video standards for compression, frame sizes, frame rates and formats  so your renders will be successful. You should spend time looking at some books on visual effects and how things are layered. You should also take the time to go through some of the training that you'll find on the Adobe site and by using the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE. Google and YouTube will provide some help but you must vet your training sources because a lot of it on YouTube and found in Google searches have been put up by folks using poor techniques and inefficient workflows that will just point you down a dead end.

The problem of removing an unwanted item from the frame happens to everyone at some time. I have a friend that had a contract for a while just removing the microphone from he top of the frame on a prime time network TV show. They would send him a half dozen shots every week that needed repair. Basically he used the same technique I described, Stabilize Motion, find something to clone from, replace, put the motion back in the shot.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. If you still have problems and can post a few seconds of the video maybe I can give you a better solution.