4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2016 6:58 AM by JoshuaCerberus

Can I use standard license for art on cards for a card game?

JoshuaCerberus

I'm producing card games, of which need art for the card backs and the face of certain cards.  Is this allowed with standard license?

• 2. Re: Can I use standard license for art on cards for a card game?
          JoshuaCerberus Level 1

I'm afraid it doesn't help, the description isn't quite clear enough for me on this specific instance.

With the Standard License, images can be used for any illustrative purpose in any type of media.

Examples: websites, web banners, newsletters, PDF documents, blogs, emails, slide shows, TV and video presentations, cell phones, splash screens, movies, magazine articles, books, advertising, brochures, document illustrations, booklets, billboards, business cards, packaging, etc.

Extended license

The Extended License gives you all the rights granted by the Standard License, but also the ability to print our creative files more than 500,000 times and allows you to use them on your own products. An Extended License lets you create derivative products or services intended for resale or distribution.

Examples: postcards, calendars, posters, t-shirts, print & presentations templates, video clips intended for resale, video applications, and any project where the file lends primary value to the product intended for resale or distribution.

The key difference appears to me to be any project where the file lends primary value to the product intended for resale or distribution.

The question then is whether or not a card game falls into this.  I wouldnt think the art used in the cardgame would be considered the primary value. It spruces up the game's aesthetics, but the product is the game, not the artwork.  However what I think holds little legal bearing, so I really just need a black and white answer on which license would be needed for this circumstance.

• 3. Re: Can I use standard license for art on cards for a card game?
            Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It really depends on how the images are being used. Ask yourself, could I sell this exact same product for the same price without placing those images on there? Chances are the answer would be no so therefore you would need the extended license. Much the same as let's say souvenir mugs of Barcelona. The mugs are the the main product but would I be able to sell that mug in the souvenir shop without an image of Barcelona? Lets use picture books for example as well. The book i s the main item for sale but does it have the same value without photos?

So at any rate one would need to know what kind of game it is and how the images are used in it specifically to give you a more precise answer. But with the information you have given you would need the extended license.

• 4. Re: Can I use standard license for art on cards for a card game?
              JoshuaCerberus Level 1

01TriggerBack.png
              It sounds like you are right on extended, which is unfortunate since it'll be cheaper to just commission artwork in that case.  But lets look at 3 aspects of this image to see if anything is viable to me.  This is the card back of a set, with the game aspects on the other side.  We have the crying girl.  Extended license?  How about the design under the word Trigger?  Still extended, or standard? I wouldnt argue that detail adds anything to the price. of the game.   The very outer light blue border was at one point a piece of a stock image as well.  Standard fine?