9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 6:50 AM by trshaner

X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?

cambot Level 1

I have the ColorChecker Passport video version. As expected, it doesn't appear to work in Lightroom. Any workaround; am I doing something wrong or is it that X-Rite  doesn't allow it. The pattern of color chips is different, of course.

It doesn't bother me that much that I might have to buy it all over again, the problem is that I frequently shoot stills and video at the same time, usually with the same camera. I don't really want to shoot a chart, then go to the camera bag and get out a second chart and shoot it all over again.

• 1. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi cambot,

Please refer the below link to download the plugin in Lightroom.

ColorChecker Passport Adobe® Lightroom® Plug-In N/A

Also, below is the video tutorial to use it in Lightroom.

Using the Colour Checker Passport with Lightroom (HD) - YouTube

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you've discovered the color and gray scale patches are different on the Passport Video version (12 Color + 12 Grayscale versus 16 Color + 8 Grayscale on the standard CCPP). Because of this results with the CCPP Video will be less than optimal for still images, even if you could get it to create a DNG Profile.

• 3. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?
              cambot Level 1

Many thanks for your reply. I do have the plug-in and have used it in the past. The problem now is that I only have the video version of the Passport. It has a different pattern for the colors than the standard (stills) ColorChecker Passport and thus, the plug-in does not recognize it.

• 4. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?

The CCPP Video is designed specifically for compatible video editing applications, which is why the chip pattern is different. You best option is to purchase a standard CCPP or the cheaper Color Checker Classic target, which is much larger. Both work with the LR Plugin or standalone CCPP software app.

To be honest the Adobe Standard profile is pretty darn good with most camera models. Using a simple white balance card will give you very good results. To be sure the CCPP rendering is different, but generally increasing Vibrance with Adobe Standard provides almost the same results as my CCPP profiles. YMMV!

• 5. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?
                  cambot Level 1

Thanks for your response. I certainly could use two different test charts when I'm shooting both video and stills (which is most of the time). My whole point now is to only have to use ONE chart, especially if I decide in mid-shoot to grab some still or video.

I own about four thousand dollars worth test charts (just one Chroma du Monde is $1600) -- what I'm looking for is an all-in-one solution. If I'm shooting a movie, sure I'll use the big DSC charts, but when I'm working alone I need something quick, portable and easily used without fuss. That's what makes the Passport so convenient -- it fits in a back pocket!

The crux of the problem is this: ColorFinale works great with the VIDEO ColorChecker in Final Cut Pro x.  The X-Rite Plug-in for Adobe Lightroom ONLY works with the Stills version of the Passport.  This is the problem I'm trying to solve -- one solution that works for both.

I'm not getting helpful responses from X-Rite so what I'm thinking is that I'll buy a Stills version of the Passport; disassemble both of them and then put the two charts together so they can be photographed at the same time.

BTW, your comment that a standard gray card works is  true but with one issue.  Shooting film (stills or motion picture) the gray card was magic, but this was because the colorimetry was "baked in." With modern video cameras, there are all sorts of things that can be changed (especially the matrix) that will not be affected by a gray card balance, which is strictly color balance only.  My good friend Art Adams as couple of great blogs on this: http://www.provideocoalition.com/cameras_rough_guide_to_color_grading_with_the_new_dsc_lab s_oneshot/

• 6. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can make dng profiles from any chart if you know the correct Lab values for the patches using the free dng profile editor that Adobe makes available on their website. It's a bit of a pain since it is not automatic but you just White balance of a grey patch and then click on the color patches to create an adjustment point and then adjust the sliders until the color patch matches the correct Lab value. There is a pdf that adobe created that you should be able to find with google on how this works.

• 7. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?
                      cambot Level 1

Very interesting. I know I have the color values for the classic Macbeth color chart, but I don't recall if the are in the LAB color system (I don't think they are).

I am able to use a still of the Video Passport to manually get it where I want it but I'm trying to figure out if I can take those adjustments and make them into a Calibration Profile. This would accomplish what I'm going for with just a bit of extra work. Do you happen to know if this is possible? I just started trying it a few minutes ago.

• 8. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?

cambot wrote:

I'm not getting helpful responses from X-Rite so what I'm thinking is that I'll buy a Stills version of the Passport; disassemble both of them and then put the two charts together so they can be photographed at the same time.

Sounds like a winning idea and simple solution.

cambot wrote:

BTW, your comment that a standard gray card works is true but with one issue. Shooting film (stills or motion picture) the gray card was magic, but this was because the colorimetry was "baked in." With modern video cameras, there are all sorts of things that can be changed (especially the matrix) that will not be affected by a gray card balance, which is strictly color balance only. 

If you're shooting raw file format with your still camera the in-camera settings have no effect on the image file data. I have no experience with pro video cameras and there in-camera settings, but I have used the CCPP extensively with both the X-Rite plugin and Adobe DNG Profile Editor. In addition I believe Adobe is using the Digital SG ColorChecker, which has 140 calibration patches for creating the Adobe camera profiles (Adobe Standard, Camera Standard, etc.), which will create a more accurate profile than the CCPP (24 patches).

The Adobe profiles are also dual-illuminant (6500/2700K) and hue twisted, which provide consistent results over a wide range of color temperature and light level. You can create dual-illuminant profiles with the CCPP LR plugin, but the camera profiles are not hue twisted. This probably explains why camera profiles created with the X-Rite CCPP LR plugin have different rendering than with the Adobe DNG Profile Editor. For soft skin tones a non-twisted profile may be preferable, but the X-Rite plugin also has a higher contrast base tone curve. You can search the Web to find more information.  Below is an example:

X-Rite CCPP LR Plugin (Dual-Illuminant)        Adobe DNG Profile Editor (Adobe Standard Base Profile)

CCPP X-Rite vs DPE Software.jpg

With a properly created dual-illuminant profile (6500/2700K) there is very little to be gained by shooting and creating a CCPP camera profile "on location." A white balance card will be sufficient. An exception is when shooting under fluorescent or other non-uniform spectrum lighting.

• 9. Re: X-Rite ColorChecker Video Passport in Lightroom?

cambot wrote:

I am able to use a still of the Video Passport to manually get it where I want it but I'm trying to figure out if I can take those adjustments and make them into a Calibration Profile. This would accomplish what I'm going for with just a bit of extra work. Do you happen to know if this is possible? I just started trying it a few minutes ago.

Here's a link to the DPE PDF: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/cs6/DNGProfile_Edi torDocumentation.pdf

If using the CCPP Video you will need to "manually" sample and adjust all 24 patches and choose a specific base profile like Adobe Standard.

EDIT: Here are the Lab values:X-Rite: +Colorimetric values for ColorChecker Family of Targets

You'll need to determine which patches are used on the CCPP Video.

Adobe Standard Camera Profile                      Adobe DNG Profile Editor (Adobe Standard Base Profile)

Adobe Standard vs DPE w CCPP.jpg