11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 2:08 PM by ECBowen

Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?

dionusos123

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a machine from 2012/13 and I am not sure it is good for C4.

Here are the specs: hp pavilion slimline s5-1414 PC

2nd Gen Intel Core i3-2130 Processor

4GB DDR3 system memory

1TB hard drive

Intel HD Graphics 2000

Win 8

THis computer has been sitting around the house for a couple years unused. I was thinking maybe I should shop for a new PC, like this one, HP ENVY Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 12GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive Silver 750-114 - Best Buy

but I'm not sure. Any advice?

• 1. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dionusos123 wrote:

Here are the specs: hp pavilion slimline s5-1414 PC

2nd Gen Intel Core i3-2130 Processor

4GB DDR3 system memory

1TB hard drive

Intel HD Graphics 2000

Win 8

Premiere Pro CS4?

No.

THis computer has been sitting around the house for a couple years unused. I was thinking maybe I should shop for a new PC, like this one, HP ENVY Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 12GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive Silver 750-114 - Best Buy

Premiere Pro CS4?

Maybe for SD, not HD, but only if you add a couple more internal 7200 RPM hard drives.

• 2. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Did you mean C4D or CS4?

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
              dionusos123 Level 1

Hey guys. It's Adobe Premiere CC Via creative cloud

• 4. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
                dionusos123 Level 1

What would recommend for under $1,000?

• 5. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
                  Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm afraid that you won't find anything in that price range unless you build it yourself and get a great deal on parts and Windows.

• 6. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
                    dionusos123 Level 1

Yikes. Well, all the specs meet PP's hardware guidelines, so are these guidelines unrealistic?

Either way, I'm going to start saving for a desktop. Would you recommend the minimum for a guy with a small budget? I'd be willing to spend a little over 1,000 but even that is pushing it =/

• 7. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
                      ace41studios Level 1

Intel Core i7-4790, EVGA GeForce GTX 960, Corsair Air 540 - System Build - PCPartPicker

You could build something like this for around $1031.00 USD This type of system would work well with 1080p footage and very light 4K clips. Just make sure to get a HDD eventually or grab a HDD from that old desktop.

• 8. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
                        RjL190365 Level 4

dionusos123,

Your HP slimline "desktop" system is woefully inadequate for Premiere Pro CC for the following reasons:

1) The i3-2130 is not only a dual-core CPU (albeit one with hyperthreading), but also is of the old Sandy Bridge CPU generation. And no dual-core CPU, even with hyperthreading, performs as well in Premiere Pro as a mediocre quad-core Intel i5 CPU of the same CPU generation.

2) 4GB of RAM is the absolute bare minimum amount of RAM to even run Premiere Pro CC at all, according to Adobe's official system requirements. 8GB is the practical minimum amount of RAM that's needed to run Premiere Pro CC reasonably well, but 16GB or more RAM is strongly recommended. (The S5-1414 has only two DIMM slots; therefore, the maximum DDR3 memory capacity of that system is 16GB.)

3) Your system relies entirely on the integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000 on the CPU, which is old enough to not support Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) GPU acceleration at all. It does not even support OpenCL, let alone CUDA. Therefore, your system when running Premiere is permanently stuck in the MPE software-only mode, which uses solely the CPU for rendering. But with the CPU being as weak as it is, don't expect anywhere close to smooth performance. Plus, although the system's motherboard has a PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot, the case limits the height of a graphics card upgrade to half-height cards.

4) As others have stated, a single hard drive for absolutely everything (including the OS, project and media files and exports) is woefully insufficient. You need at least a second disk - but your system may not have enough space inside the case for a second disk. The system does, however, have two USB 3.0 ports at the front of the case - but since the Intel 6-series chipsets such as the H61 that's used in that HP slimline system lack native USB 3.0 support, a third-party chipset is used for the USB 3.0 functions.

And as others have stated in these forums, Adobe's minimum system requirements for Premiere Pro CC 2015 are a joke: Such a minimally capable system will launch Premiere, but will effectively not let you do anything at all whatsoever within the program.

In other words, I'd recommend saving up for an entirely new system.

• 9. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?

The minimum specs by Adobe will run the applications but would not be a user experience most would enjoy. GPU acceleration actually takes higher hardware specs than CPU processing only since the entire process is a pipeline. This means as you lower the specs below the ideal the user experience begins to degrade depending on the media used and workflow. A 6700K on a Z170 with 16GB of ram would be the minimum I would recommend. 32GB of ram is really what you want. Beyond that a 960GTX 4GB card would be the video card that would work well with that system.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?
                            dionusos123 Level 1

Hey guys, I'm willing to wait and just get a PC that works.

I was thinking about adding a new video card/RAM but as you note, my CPU is in fact too old. I was at Geeksquad yesterday and they wanted me to just upgrade things, but that would be like making beds in a burning house.

And what kind of second disk would I need?

And what does "6700K" refer to? Well, since I'm going to save for a new desktop, anyone think PC is better than Mac or vice versa?

What do you think of the PC suggested by  ace41studios

• 11. Re: Does my machine seem powerful enough for C4?

The 6700K is one of the current Skylake i7 Gen 6 CPU's for the desktop platform ie the Z170 boards. The media decides the media drive you require but most current Seagate or WD 7200 RPM drives will handles stand 1080 and 4K media codecs up to Pro Res and DNxHR some bit rates for example. The PC recommended is the previous Gen Z97 platform which is cheaper to build but not really upgradable at this point and doesn't have DDR4 like the Z170 I recommended which is the current. I would suggest budgeting or saving for the Z170 system.

Eric

ADK