5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 8:38 PM by ssprengel

Can you recommend me any good preset for Gold Jewelry in Light Room?

mrmister1 Level 1

Hi

I need to improve the picture quality of several pictures I have, and they are about jewelry. I'd need to improve the quality for gold and silver jewelry, and I would love to use light room for this, besides a manual editing in Photoshop.

I would need jewelry presets for light room, specially oriented to gold and silver.

Do you know any available presets for this?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Can you recommend me any good preset for Gold Jewelry in Light Room?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi mrmister

Well, there are several videos tutorials for jewelry retouching in Photoshop.

You can refer one of the link below and see if that helps.

Jewelry Retouching, Editing, Touch-up, Tutorial, Lesson - 19, Finishing - YouTube

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: Can you recommend me any good preset for Gold Jewelry in Light Room?
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In general, Google is your friend.  Search for something like Lightroom Jewelry Preset and see what comes up.

There will be jewelry editing videos on YouTube that you can probably save specific sets of settings that work generally universally.

There are likely presets others have created that work for a particular style of shooting that may or may not be the same as yours so you'll have to try and see what works.

• 3. Re: Can you recommend me any good preset for Gold Jewelry in Light Room?
              mrmister1 Level 1

I am sorry, I am looking for a plugin in which I just apply a filter that improve the golds, shadows, etc.

I already know about jewelry manual retouching. I was looking for a plugin helping to improve the quality of golds, silvers, and shadows...

In the same fashion we have tons of plugins for black and white, I thought we could have a bunch of them for jewelry, but seems to be there are no plugins available for Light Room in this area...

Cheers

• 4. Re: Can you recommend me any good preset for Gold Jewelry in Light Room?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mrmister1 wrote:

I am sorry, I am looking for a plugin in which I just apply a filter that improve the golds, shadows, etc.

I already know about jewelry manual retouching. I was looking for a plugin helping to improve the quality of golds, silvers, and shadows...

That's a very vague description subject to individual interpretation.  I suggest uploading an image to Dropbox or other file sharing site, explain what specifically needs "improving," and what it should look like. In general the background and lighting plays a critical role in the "quality" of jewelry imaging. Yes, you can "correct" the image inside LR, but there are limitations. You can create your own Develop Preset or simply 'Sync' the settings from the first adjusted image across all other similarly shot images. It's a very simple and fast way to process similar images in LR. As the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words!"

• 5. Re: Can you recommend me any good preset for Gold Jewelry in Light Room?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your initial description says you're looking for a "Preset" which is a saved collection of manual settings.  And since you're already familiar with manual adjustments then just do them to an image and save the adjustments as a preset then apply that preset to other images of the same type.

Your response to Mohit says you want a Plug-In which is something entirely different than a Preset.  It is a customized program that can receive data from LR, manipulate it externally, then return the data to LR.

The existence of B/W presets or plug-ins doesn't necessarily imply the existence of Jewelry presets or plug-ins.  B/W Presets and Plug-ins are doing something specific to any or all images, regardless of whether it looks better or what the subject matter is, and you can make adjustments or choose which particular preset result you like better, but what B/W presets are doing is not specific to one subject as you're wanting so it would not be surprising to find B/W presets and plug-ins but not jewelry-specific presets or plug-ins.

It seems like you're asking for a magic button that makes a particular type of subject better without knowing what happens.  I don't know that you'll find what you're looking for, but someone who wants to sell one to you will probably have it searchable by Google and so use Google to find a jewelry plug-in if one exists.

It'd be just as fruitless to look for a cat plug-in or a train plug-in.  There sophisticated plug-ins that deal with human faces for portraits because there are some common things people do, skin smoothing, blemish removal, skin-tanning, face distortion (eye-widening, chin narrowing, noise narrowing, etc), cheek blushing, lip reddening, eye sharpening, teeth whitening.  There is lots of money to be made in perfecting human faces as perfect human faces are in many advertisements.

Perfect jewelry photos for the purpose of selling such jewelry are either created artificially using CGI or professionally lit and shot by someone who knows how to make perfect jewelry photos in camera, with minimal post-processing, although some is likely done, similar to what you'll see in the YouTube videos.

If you're wanting to sell handmade jewelry on eBay and are doing your own photography, ok, but don't expect a magic button.

If you're not sure what to do with a jewelry image to make it better then upload one to dropbox or similar large-file-hosting site and post a link and maybe someone can experiment with their preferred settings and tell you what those are.