6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 11:42 PM by ShakeWell

Premiere Elements 10 going extremely slowly on ONE PROJECT

ShakeWell

I'm about at the end of my rope here, so I'm hoping someone can help. I've been running Premiere Elements 10 on my laptop for a few years now, and the project I'm working on is so bogged down, I can't do anything, but there's nothing about this project that I can suss out that explains why.

My laptop is a Dell XPS, i7-2630QM processor, Windows 7 (64-bit), 6GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M.

I've never had a problem in the past. And, in fact, if I open old projects, I don't have a problem now. It's just the project I'm working on. If I move a clip, resize a clip, add a matte to a clip, anything, the system bogs down for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. If I play the timeline, it will go for a minute, then the preview will stop with the audio continuing and I won't be able to stop it or do anything else.

Initially, I thought it was because one clip in the bin was a four hour 1080p gameplay clip, so I went into my capture card software and broke it up into four hour long clips, which is in line with what I've had in past projects. Didn't correct it. I saw some folks saying that still images (PNGs, JPGs, etc) can cause trouble, so I removed most of the still frames. Didn't help. Something about this project is making it not run, but I'm running out of ideas on where to look. Past projects that still work fine when I load them up have roughly the same amount of footage, but they're not bogging down like this. Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for? Certain things about certain clips or files in the project bin? Anything? Settings?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 going extremely slowly on ONE PROJECT
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are your Project Settings? You'll find them under the Edit menu. In version 10 you MUST set up your project manually to match your video specs, and if it's not matched correctly, the program will not function efficiently.

Is there a yellow line along the top of the timeline, above your clips? This means that your timeline must be rendered. Press the Enter key on your keyboard and see if performance improves when this line turns green.

Photos should not cause problems as long as you've sized them all to no larger than 2500x1875 pixels in size (72 ppi). Have you done this to all of your photos and graphics?

Version 10 also does not mix video sources well. You say that some of your video is a gameplay clip. You may need to crack open one of those clips with the free download Media Info in order to determine its resolution, frame rate and audio video codecs. Version 10 is not going to work well with non-camcorder standard video frame rates or codecs.

What type of video is the majority of your project made up of? What model of camcorder is it from and what format and resolution is it?

Prior to version 11, Premiere Elements was very limited in the mix and format of video it could work with.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 going extremely slowly on ONE PROJECT
            ShakeWell Level 1

Project settings are 1920x1080, square pixels, no fields, 30fps drop-frame timecode. I haven't made any changes to those.

I regularly render the timeline, even more frequently with this project because it's running so slow.

All of the stills are definitely smaller than 2500x1875.

Most of the project is gameplay clips, some is shot on a Canon Vixia HFR500, all at 1080p in MP4 format. The gameplay comes from my El Gato capture card. Most of it is at 720p, some is at 1080p. The El Gato software gives options for how to encode it, but I've always used the MP4 option there as well.

Again, what's really getting me is that this is part of a series I do, and I've done numerous episodes with Premiere Elements 10, but this is the first one to cause trouble. I even went and loaded up the project files from recent episodes and could move around clips, add clips, etc, and it didn't cause the program to start moving like molasses. It's weird.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 going extremely slowly on ONE PROJECT
              ShakeWell Level 1

UPDATE: Just to illustrate my point, I just opened the project to get the project settings for you. The entire timeline is rendered, and I couldn't do ANYTHING in the project. Just clicking the X to close the project didn't respond. I got the "Premiere Elements is not responding" error and had to force close it. And literally all I had done is open the project settings, then close them and try to X out of the program. In contrast, last night the last thing I did before posting here was open an old project (this is the final product, for reference: Same Name, Different Game: The Adventures of Batman and Robin - YouTube) and it gave me no problems whatsoever. I even added  new clip to the end of the project, moved it around, resized it, etc, just to make sure I wasn't crazy. I'm so baffled.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 going extremely slowly on ONE PROJECT
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm surprised to hear that Premiere Elements 10 hasn't given you problems with previous projects using gameplay clips and MP4s as your source video, shakewell. As I said, version 10 is relatively primitive, as far as working with various video sources goes. Since version 11, the program is much more versatile. I don't even know if version 10 can edit MP4s natively. You'd do much better to shoot your Canon video in AVCHD -- or a consider a move to a newer version of the program.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 going extremely slowly on ONE PROJECT
                  ShakeWell Level 1

Interesting. I will change the settings on my camera for sure. I also didn't realize I was four versions behind, so I may just upgrade to the latest (unless you think 11, 12 or 13 is better for some reason). But I appreciate your help!

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10 going extremely slowly on ONE PROJECT
                    ShakeWell Level 1

UPDATE: Thanks again for the assistance, but I do need to report that the issue was apparently the length of the gameplay clips. I confirmed that they were all around the same length as what I'd used before, but it was rare for me to have clips that went over an hour. I used the game capture software to cut the clips down into ~30 minute chunks and we're good. The program is not choking to death anymore! Huzzah!

Thanks again, Steve, for helping and being patient. I really appreciate it.