5 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2016 3:44 AM by bwanabambesa

bad performance on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Shai Levy

if i dare excessing the minimal retouch / process, things will slow down and lag till it turns into hours of work for anything that could take minutes. this is time i lose and can not charge my clients for without making me look unprofessional and this is really where things get upsetting.

i've been checking my hardware to make sure everything ticking well, and it passed.

i'm on latest versions of both OS and Lightroom software. 32GB RAM, 4 GHz Intel Core i7

been with Adobe support twice, troubleshooting the issues to no avail. tried starting a new catalog, on different drives.. nothing.

one recommendation i got was to work with internal drive rather than external. i just can't believe this should be an issue as all my externals are thunderbolt.

pretty sure i did everything listed here >> How to improve and speed up Photoshop Lightroom performance

tried with and without openGL ..

now i just have to know if it's just formally an issue i have to live with and if so, would've been great if Adobe would go out admitting something is not quite functioning in the match of their software and this hardware.

would love hearing your opinions about it and still hope some magic will prove me wrong.

many thanks!

• 1. Re: bad performance on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
          dj_paige Level 9

A lot of people say they are on the latest version of Lightroom and when we ask questions, we find out they are not on the latest version of Lightroom. So, please tell us the VERSION NUMBER of your Lightroom.

1. You didn't mention GPU, what GPU do you have?
          2. Is the GPU acceleration turned on or off?
          3. Are you doing a lot of brushing or spot healing on your photos?
          • 2. Re: bad performance on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
            Shai Levy Level 1

Lightroom ver. 2015.5 build 1067055, camera raw 9.5

AMD Radeon R9 M295X OpenGL Engine

GPU acceleration is on. (tried turning it off, performance didn't get any better, usually worse)

and yes, it definitely becomes a problem the more brushing and spot healing i do. on very basic correction it flows pretty well.

thanks!

• 3. Re: bad performance on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
              dj_paige Level 9

and yes, it definitely becomes a problem the more brushing and spot healing i do. on very basic correction it flows pretty well.

This is a known problem in Lightroom, that Lightroom slows down with lots of brushing and spot healing

Some suggestions:

• Turn off the GPU when you do the spot healing and brushing (but this has negative effects on the speed of drawing the other edits) <-- I wouldn't be surprised if this was just as bad in its own way, but it's worth a try
              • Do the spot healing and brushing as the next-to-last step in editing, and the last step is to turn on the Lens Corrections
              • Get the fastest GPU available
              • Set your monitor to run in HD (1920x1080) mode with the GPU off
              • Do the spot healing and brushing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements

OPINION: The current technology in Lightroom does not allow good performance for lots of spot healing and brushing on 4K and 5K monitors unless you have the fastest GPU and CPU available (and maybe not even then). It's a technology that is outstanding for other editing.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: bad performance on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
                Shai Levy Level 1

thank you dj_paige !

i will give all that a try

• 5. Re: bad performance on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
                  bwanabambesa

I agree. I think you said on a similar question :

one thing is editing pictures on 4K or 5K screens ( which seems not to be optimal with LR at this moment ) . Another thing is viewing picture on a 4K or 5 K screen .

I was considering buying a iMac retina 4K for editing. Now I am not sure anymore:  I can view my pictures on my iMac pro 4K ......