17 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 3:51 AM by TᴀW

Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

Mohammad Modassir Level 1

Hi,

How can I select all the fotnotes in a long document of Indesign?

One thing which is in common — is that before every fotnote-text — there is a underscore ______________  . And the text in the fotnotes are of two different kinds of font, one is Italic and the other is normal.

Now how can I select all texts mentioned in fotnote in every page of the document? i.e how to CTRL+A ONLY the fotnote-texts and not the text of the book itself.

Because its time-consuming to select one at a time. Is there a way to select all fotnotes at onces? — by fotnotes I mean the text shown in the following picture:select all.png

• 1. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

and do what, exactly, to the footnotes?

• 2. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Mohammad,

ID has a very powerful 'Find-Replace' for that!  It's totally magic!  ;-)

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once
              jane-e Adobe Community Professional

If you open the Story Editor, you can scan through and see all the Footnotes quickly, even if you can't select them all at once.

Or you can use Find and Replace and look for Superscript if all of them have superscript. Other advanced searches might work as well.

Since your formatting is not consistant, you want to make sure you have a Footnote paragraph style with no overrides. You'll have to do some cleanup. Do one of the two above, then click in the footnote itself.

Be sure you have:

• Applied the correct paragraph style

• Used a character style for italics that you want to keep

• That you do not have Character styles that you don't want or expect (click none)

• Then remove any local formatting — one way is to click the pilcow at the bottom of Paragraph styles

Go to Type > Document Footnote Options and set the formatting in the first tab. Then go to the second tab to control that horizontal line and other settings. That will ensure consistency for future footnotes in this document.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once
                breandáno50193510

I, too, have what I think is the same question and the same problem. None of the suggestions so far answer the question I feel.

I have a large Word document which I imported into ID and, despite it being set up in Word to renumber at each section break (ie a new chapter) it imported the footnotes sequentially from 1 to 650. ID also placed the notes, as Mohammad describes, at the foot of each page with a line delimiter. As he found it seems that you cannot highlight all the footnotes. In my case I want to place them at the end of each chapter not at the end of each page.

I did find a script which will place all the notes at the end of the document – in my case as a very unsatisfactory and time-consuming workaround – I re-saved the Word file separately chapter and imported it in the same manner into ID but there is still a huge amount of work to be done to get the footnotes correct.

So I do not know the answer to your question either I am afraid to say.

Kind regards

Brendan

• 5. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

jane-e The text in the fotnote is not superscript at all save the number 1 and 2. And do you mean by “Cleanup” that I have to change the font style in the fotnotes so that it is only same font, size, and that it is either italic or bold or non-italic? — But I dont want to change fotnotes style to one same style — does this mean that as long as I dont have one style in fotnotes — I will not be able to select all fotnotes at once?

Exactly what is the procedure i.e what value do I have to set in the “Fotnotes Option window” given below? — if I have to apply to the one fotnote given below in the same picture? — what exactly do I have to do in order for the fotnotes given in the following picture — get selected as a whole? — when taking into account that the following fotnote contain both italic and non-italic and also have different fontnames. How exactly is it possible to select this whole fotnotes — including the italic text and non-italic text shown in the fotnote in the following prtsc?select all.png

• 7. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once
                    Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

You cannot select all footnotes at the same time, but you can run scripts that repetitively and iteratively gather up and do something to the footnotes. I ask again, what are you trying to do, exactly, to the existing footnotes? And are they all controlled by a paragraph style?

• 8. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

What are you trying to accomplish, may I ask?

You can't select the footnotes all at once, but tell us what you need to do with them so we can better help you!!

• 9. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

Michael Witherell and jane-e , Im trying to use the condition of hiding all the fotnotes in this very-long-document — and then convert it into a PDF file — and then into a final format as a (.doc) file i.e wordfile.

I have learned that in order to convert an INDD file into a .doc file — one has to go the way around PDF-conversion of the file first.

So Im trying to select all fotnotes in order to hide them — so that I have a file containing document-text without fotnotes — and later convert the document — which will be without the fonotes — into .doc-file i.e Word-Office-file.

The document contain a dozen of fotnotes — and I just found out that all fotnotes uses one same font and same size — but with someplace as italic and non-italic — although there is only one font and size used.

So what I need help with now is to know what are those exact values and where to put them — in order so that when I run the sequence — that it will select all fotnotes in this large document. There are a dozen of fotnotes and it is time-consuming to select one by one and then hide.

Looking forward to a exact step by step solution which can select all the fotnotes in the document. A prtsc of fontname and size and other properties — used in the fotnotes are as shown in the following picture. Now, is it possible with these properties used on the fotnotes — that I can use the search tool, the GLYPH, or any other such tool — so I can put these same values shown in the following picture — into that GLYPH or other tool — in order to select all fotnotes in the document?

As for now, Im a beginner and therefore I would appreciate very much an exact step by step solution.

detail of.png

• 11. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

Sorry! I really don't understand what you mean and what you want to do!! 

If you want to delete all the notes, it's easy!

If you want to "mask" (make them invisible), it's easy!

If you want to extract all the footnotes in a new ID file, it's easy!

If you want to place them at the end of the ID doc, it's always easy!

But, if you try to explain what you want to do, that seems less easy!! 

• 12. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

Mohammad,

As said before, you cannot select all of the footnotes at once. But now you have told us your purpose, that you want to hide them. Try Conditional Text. I just tested it and it works beautifully to hide the footnotes.

The premise for Conditional Text is that by default all text is assigned to unconditional. To use the feature, you create a new set, in this case, "Footnotes" (or as you keep saying, "Fotnotes"). Then assign text to the condition. When you click the eyeball, the text using the condition does not display. Click it again to show it.

Step by step directions are here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/editing-text.html#use_conditional_text

Because you are working with footnotes, you only have to assign the condition to the footnote reference number within the document. Then one click on the eyeball will hide or show all the footnotes.

• 13. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

Obi-wan Kenobi, I was trying to select all the footnotes at once and then hide them all in one click. But according to jane-e, it’s not possible.

Hope Adobe create this feature in their next update. It will do the work so much easier for Adobe users of Indesign.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

• 14. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

Of course you can: Grep find (?<!^)~F and replace "All" by a condition that you've first masked! That's all!   ;-)

• 15. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

Did you read what I wrote about Conditional Text? Even though you can't select them all at once, you can hide and show them with one click after you do some set up.

With only a dozen footnotes, and with your status as a beginner, you can do this manually with the directions I gave before. If you have 50 or 100 footnotes and/or when you are more experienced, you will want to use GREP to do it faster.

• 16. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once

jane-e Im very well familiar with how “Conditional Text”-feature works. My only concern was how to select all fotnotes in one click — in order to put a hide-condition on it i.e all at once. But this is impossible i.e its impossible as you say that one can not select all footnotes at once — meaning that one has to select one by one — and this is what i refered to as time-consuming.

I really hope Adobe in their next update of Indesign can insert this feature of selecting all footnotes at once – which can allow the user to select all footnotes at once by search of multiple font, size, and the style i.e Roman or Italic.

Thanks for you concern about solving my problem, but this is something now seem to be a problem of Adobe Indesign.

• 17. Re: Selecting all fotnotes-text at once
                                      TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot select all footnotes at once, but you can apply a condition to them all easily using Find/Change.

Find all footnote text (usually this will have a particular paragraph style applied, so it's easy to find).

In the Change To, click on the Format box, go to the Conditions tab, and select the condition you want to apply.

Click on Change All.

This should apply the condition to all footnote text.

Ariel