9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 4:04 AM by Danny Whitehead.

How to disable the tracking

Sen.Soft Level 1

Hi anybody help me on this, How to disable the tracking option in the panel in Indesign CS6.

• 1. Re: How to disable the tracking
          Sen.Soft Level 1

Anybody help me on this. Kindly let me if request not clear.

• 2. Re: How to disable the tracking
            Derek Cross Level 6

Tracking is the space between letters. You can have no tracking, minus tracking, plus tracking. But you can't "disable" tracking.

Can you explain what the issue is or what effect you're after?

• 3. Re: How to disable the tracking
              Sen.Soft Level 1

Our Clint request is don't use tracking (+ or -) in the application. We are process the files in vendor. Sometimes they forget / by mistakenly will give tracking to adjust the text. So that I request form to know if any option to disable the tracking option in Indesign. Kindly suggest if any manual or script for this.

• 4. Re: How to disable the tracking
                Derek Cross Level 6

In Paragraph Styles under the Basic Character Format Tab, you can indicate 0 tracking and apply that style to your text.

There may be a script, grep or something that can do that also, I'm not up on that. Maybe someone will chime on with another suggestion.

• 5. Re: How to disable the tracking
                  Danny Whitehead. Level 4

I don't think there's a way to stop the application from allowing a user to adjust tracking. You can select all the text and set the tracking to 0, or better, use Paragraph Styles with 0 tracking, then using 'Clear Overrides' in the Paragraph Styles flyout menu. The new Style Override Highlighter might also be useful here.

What's the purpose of the 'no tracking adjustment' rule? There may be a better way to address the problem it's intended to address. Is it a corporate style guidelines thing, maybe?

• 6. Re: How to disable the tracking
                    bhupathil1307 Level 1

As per client guideline manual tracking is not required for paragraph, but vendor apply the manual tracking during pagination. If any option is available to disable the tracking option in control panel.

• 7. Re: How to disable the tracking
                      winterm Level 4

This piece of java script code will change tracking to zero in whole document globally, including paragraph styles:

var myDoc = app.activeDocument;
                              myDoc.stories.everyItem().tracking=0;
                              var paraSt = myDoc.paragraphStyles.everyItem().getElements();
                              for(var i=0; i<paraSt.length; i++)
                              {
                                  if(paraSt[i].name.indexOf("[")==-1)
                                  {
                                      paraSt[i].tracking=0;
                                  }
                              }

• 8. Re: How to disable the tracking
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

My concern here is that removing tracking at the pre-press stage is going to alter the text flow with potentially disastrous results. If the Client requires files without tracking and you receive files that are not to specification those files should be returned to whoever supplied them for correction.

If you are asking for a method to prevent your client's vendors/staff from violating corporate style, there probably is no way to stop it, but files could go through in-house preflight quite easily to detect custom tracking. I presume with a no-tracking requirement that the client also forbids justified text, since there is no way to do that without adjusting spacing.

• 9. Re: How to disable the tracking
                          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

If I read this correctly, you're creating documents according to your client's guidelines that forbid tracking adjustments, then sending them to a printer, who is applying tracking while preparing it for print. Is that correct?

If it is, then you'd need to ask the printer why they're doing it. If it's to address a legitimate issue, then there will be better ways to address it at your end, once you understand what it is.