3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2016 10:25 AM by Cathleen24

CS6 Master Page Items Shifting When Deleting a Page

Cathleen24 Level 1

I'm a long-time Indesign user who does long-documents (textbooks). I'm sure in the past I didn't have this problem, but now, no matter what I do, when deleting a single page the headers/footers shift. The pages have been designed using Master Facing Pages. 

I've tried so many things, liquid page layout, enable layout adjustment, guides, etc. I've deleted preferences, tried locking the individual layers, and nothing seems to work. I'll admit, I'm not an expert with Liquid Layout and wonder if that is the source of my problems. Or whether that isn't an solution as I'm not changing the size or column widths, just deleting a page.

The projects I'm working on have 100+ pages in a file so this driving me nuts. I've searched and can't seem to find an answer. On the Master Page I have to change the header text to match the contents, so I just override that text frame and change. Yes, I know once I override it, it no longer is controlled by the master page, but these haven't been overrided yet.

If anyone has any suggestions or links to solutions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have screen caps of before, after, and the Master Page setup.

Before deleting a page:

Before Deleting.jpg

After deleting a page:

After Deleting.jpg

Master Page setup:

Master Pages.jpg

• 1. Re: CS6 Master Page Items Shifting When Deleting a Page
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Liquid Layout has no purpose for a printed book and might be the source of your problem, as could be using the Page tool, but it's also possible you've run up against a bug I've seen reported a few times. I believe grouping the objects is a workaround for that bug, but it looks like you've already done that, or perahps this master is based on another so I'm not sure what the solution is here. What OS are you using? Is CS6 fully patched to 8.0.2?

One thing I would change (though probably not related to the shifting) is how you've built the headers/footers. Each could be made from only a gray text frame and a black text frame, with appropriate text insets applied on the gray frame, and you should look into variables for changing the header and footer text.

• 2. Re: CS6 Master Page Items Shifting When Deleting a Page
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Cathleen,

what can you do?

Create a new set of master pages, copy/paste-in-place the elements of the master pages you have now and apply that set of master pages to the pages. See, if that works…

Btw. I don't think using the Pages tool in the life time of this document is causing this.
            It's probably changing the size of the pages by using the features in Document Setup after creating the document.

But I could be wrong. Both features have their bugs. The Pages Tool when creating Alternate Layouts and exporting and then opening from IDML, the Document Setup feature when items from the master pages are applied after changing the size of the pages and pages are added ( I have to look up some details ).

Uwe

• 3. Re: CS6 Master Page Items Shifting When Deleting a Page
              Cathleen24 Level 1

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try the option of opening a "virgin" file and copy and pasting the elements one by one. But I'm going to wait until they decide on the template design so I can do all at once. I'll be sure to respond and let you know how it goes. But I did want to thank you and Uwe for the suggestions.