1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 12:15 AM by Rick Gerard

Masking glitch in adobe after effects

nicholasm25523075

I have a glitch when trying to put a mask on a lightsaber for a video, It shows the effects before it is supposed to show up.

if you don't know what i mean here is a link of whats happening

glitch - YouTube

It might just be my editing but i cant figure out how to fix it

• 1. Re: Masking glitch in adobe after effects
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just posting an image or footage showing the problem gives us nothing to work with other than you may have an image cache problem or you are not using the right workflow.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 12.10.15 AM.png

To diagnose your problem open up the comp, move the CTI to a frame where a layer or an effect is giving you a problem and start turning things off one at a time. Start by purging the cache using the edit many. Then try to find the layer the is causing the problem. Depending on how you created the glow it looks like you have a coup;le of extra strokes or shapes in the comp. One in front of his face and a little one over his shoulder.

When you figure out which layer is causing the glitch to show up solo that layer, press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties and then start turning things off or resetting values. If you can't solve the problem then we need to see a screenshot of what you have found and have a detailed description of your workflow.

Composition settings, OS and AE version down to the last decimal point would also help.

It's very odd to me that your sample footage still has the green screen showing. My workflow would be to key the actor, then if there was a bunch more that needed to be added to the scene I would render a DI with an alpha channel and a 10 bit or better codec and continue from there. At the very least I would pre-compose my keyed shot and then start building the composite. Depending on the prop used for the light saber I would either track or roto and then start building that effect. Having the actor already keyed will make any roto much easier to do.

I hope this points you in the right direction. If it is not cache problems the it's probably user error.