13 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 10:01 AM by Steve Grisetti

PRE 14 crashes repeatedly

tatylauwers

Hi!

Thanks for your help.

I could not find a reply with the chat in France this morning.

After reveiwing the demo version of PRE 14, I bought and installed the software on Windows (Notebook4LAsus xl554L)

It crashes quite often, even when no other major software is running. During the trial version I thought it was incidental. With a purchased product it is quite disturbing. I use other Adobe software with no problem except the ones I generate myself.

The French chat says my PC is not strong enough, it has all the requirements below (like 8 GB of RAM!!! should be enough):

• 2GHz or faster processor with SSE2 support; dual-core processor required for HDV or AVCHD editing and Blu-ray or AVCHD export; Core i7 required for XAVC S
      • Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 or Windows 10 (32-bit versions will be installed on 32-bit systems; 64-bit versions will be installed on 64-bit systems)
      • 2GB of RAM
      • 10GB of available hard-disk space to install applications; additional 5GB to download content
      • 1024x768 display resolution (at 100% scale factor)
      • Microsoft DirectX 9 or 10 compatible sound and display driver
      • DVD-ROM drive (for installation from DVD)
      • Compatible DVD burner required to burn DVDs; compatible Blu-ray burner required to burn Blu-ray discs
      • QuickTime 7 software
      • Windows Media Player (required if importing/exporting Windows Media formats)
      • Internet connection required for product activation and content download*

Except that my internet connection is very often down - I use a 'classic shell" on windows 8 not the formal 8

Can anyone please help?

• 1. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what hardware you have, but it's usually a good idea to take the minimum specs recommended by the program and double it. You can use this chart to select a good processor. I recommend one that rates at least a 6000 for high-definition video.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

Which processor do you have?

Many of those ASUS notebooks shipped with i3, Pentium and even Celeron processors -- which are not powerful enough for most high-def video editing.

• 2. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly
            tatylauwers Level 1

Hi thanks

I have checked: it crashes mostly when the internet connection is down (either in my camping car or when I remove the cable; we do not use wifi here since I overreact to wifi waves)

Is there a way I can remove whatever Adobe is doing to my software via internet?

Here is a printscreen of my Asus x554L

http://taty.be/asuslauwersproperties.jpg

• 3. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly
              tatylauwers Level 1

I do not produce or manage high def videos, I work in SD for youtube

• 4. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly
                Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Just a tip, because you seem to ignore it: you can insert a screenshot (jpeg, png) in the message itself using the still camera button in the browser version of these forums:

camera.png

• 5. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly

So which processor do you have and with how much RAM? How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

And what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

• 6. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly
                    tatylauwers Level 1

Hi thanks for the tip on including a screenshot. But it is no trouble publishing the picture on one of my websites, I manager the servers here. Copypaste is easy.

Steve, I have Intel core i5-4210Y 1.70 2.0GHz

RAM is 8GB

Hard drive is 100MB free

Windows 8 with classic shell

camera for pictures and minimovies (2minutes max) is lumix G7 in standard mode (I do not use 4K for this)

For the tests I used small 2272/1704 format on lumix + 4:3

The French chat told me the notebook was not powerful enough, but they cannot help when I ask how about downsizing PRE14 in order to run properly (I use the basics of it)

I keep thinking it has nothing to do with the power, bcs it crashes when the internet connection is down...

I have done a few tests with your suggestions on lynda and on your own website, Steve. Worked 4 hours perfectly,

• 7. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly

Yes, your laptop is a bit underpowered. On benchmark charts, it rates about 2300 -- while I recommend using a processor that rates a minimum of 5500.

Which mode exactly are you shooting your video in? That G7 shoots in about 12 different modes. I'd recommend you shoot your video in 1920x1080 AVCHD at 30 fps if you plan to edit your video in Premiere Elements.

Also, do your project settings match your video specs? If they do, you will NOT see a yellow-orange "render" line above the first video clip on your timeline. Do you see this yellow orange render line?

RenderLine.jpg

• 8. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly
                        tatylauwers Level 1

Hi thanks

I had set G7 to MP4 hoping the file size would be smaller for my tests

I have changed to your settings now, will check what changes that will make

1. laptop underpowered: I had checked with specs before buying, but I am no engineer so I made deduction from what Adobe wrote on their website - which I copied above

I am bound to this laptop because I use it a lot for interviews on the go, alone in my small camping car

2. internet: I can see you escape the question I am afraid

I had inquired with adobe FR before buying, to be sure I could use PRE14 WITHOUT internet connection and no need to cloudify with you all (I hate the idea of that cloud, personal preferences). They were positive it could all work without internet connection.

BTW even Dreamweaver, used careful use as ever (nothing fancy), now crashes a few times every day... Did not happen so often before...

3. project settings: I tested both ways - changing them myself and letting PRE choose them

works OK I have the orange line

thanks

• 9. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly

Are you saying that if you add a video clip to the beginning of your timeline, you DO have an orange "render" line above that clip?

If so, that tells us why you may be having problems with your project. (By the way, you do have Quicktime installed, per the program's requirements, right?)

Saving your video as a smaller file (an MP4 rather than an AVC file) does not mean the program doesn't work as hard. Doing so actually makes the program work HARDER. Smaller video files are more highly compressed, so it takes more power for the program to uncompress them in order to edit them.

• 10. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly
                            tatylauwers Level 1

1. thanks for the info on MP4/AVC

did not know about that

2. yes I do have quicktime on this machine

3. the orange line only appears when I fiddle with fx on the clip, not at the beginning of importing it - like I expected the software to do

• 11. Re: PRE 14 crashes repeatedly

Okay, then, the program seems to be doing its job.

I'm not sure why you are having problems.