10 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 10:49 AM by Laubender

Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer

OmniaGuy

I created a library with all the elements that I use regularly in my designs. All the elements were created in ID CS6, since I purchased a new computer (now Win 10 from Win 7 Pro), I can't delete, modify or add elements in this library.

When I open the Library from within the InDesign CS6 Library folder in the windows programs folder, it opens fine, but has a lock in the bottom left corner, you can not right or left click, and I can find no one that has a direct easy to follow answer.

Has anyone had this problem?

Please help!ID CS6 Library Locked.jpg

• 1. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer
          Haeme Ulrich Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could it be that your library is protected in the file system (right-click on the Library in Explorer).

Best

Haeme Ulrich

• 2. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes  Haeme,

I could recreate the issue on my Mac:

The lock symbol appears, if you make the library file Read-Only in the file system.

LockedLibrary-CS6.png

LibraryFile-Read-Only.png

Omnia, navigate to the file and set the file/folder access previleges to: Read/Write.
            Also check the parent folder structure. I'm on Mac OSX and never used Windows 10, so I cannot help further…

Uwe

• 3. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer
              OmniaGuy Level 1

Thanks for trying to help, but I had already given full access to all users as the
              administrator to that library file, then restarted ID CS6 on my new Win 10 computer and it
              still shows a little lock in the bottom left corner.

It seems this happened to me the last time I moved these files to a new computer,
              I just can’t remember how I got it to unlock, I know it was something simple.

Hopefully someone from Adobe will answer.

• 4. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hopefully, someone will help you find an answer to your question. There are many knowledgeable InDesign users here, including the ones who have already replied.

But you will most likely not hear from Adobe here. And you will probably get more helpful answers here than if you were to call or chat with Adobe representatives because most of them are only answering from canned scripts with little real experience in the program.

• 5. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

One obvious response is that CS6 is not supported under Win 10. Try running it under Win 7 compatibility.

• 6. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer
                    OmniaGuy Level 1

Well, after getting totally frustrated, I decided to create a new Library, when I went to save the new Library it said that I could not save the Library in the Libraries Folder itself. It said I did not have the proper authority to do so, so I closed the Libraries Folder and opened the security tab on the Library Folder properties window, then allowed users the permission to have full access since I am the only user and administrator and low and behold it allowed me to save the new Library so once I saw that I could access that folder differently now, I decided to see if it had any other effect on the original library that was locked and sure enough it was unlocked, it was the Library Folder itself that was the problem, not the files inside of the library Folder.

Thanks for all that tried to help, it can get very frustrating moving to new computers, it would be nice if everyone played nice and help the end users through these upgrades and changes to different operating systems. I spent a lot of money on this version of the Creative Master Suite 6, so for it not to be compatible with Win 10 is just ridiculous to me.

Again thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What’s ridiculous about it?

It’s four years old. That’s ancient as far as software is concerned.

• 8. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer

OmniaGuy wrote:

Thanks for trying to help, but I had already given full access to all users as the
                        administrator to that library file, then restarted ID CS6 on my new Win 10 computer and it
                        still shows a little lock in the bottom left corner.

It seems this happened to me the last time I moved these files to a new computer,
                        I just can’t remember how I got it to unlock, I know it was something simple.

Hopefully someone from Adobe will answer.

Hm. The second way I know of getting the little lock on the library is, that a different installation of InDesign has opened the file and did not close it. Maybe InDesign CS6 cannot recognize, that the file is closed or should be closed?

How did you bring the library file over to that Windows 10 machine?

Workaround:

You could place all the elements in the library to an InDesign document's page and create a new library.
                        But this seems to be a tedious work, if I look at the screen capture of your library.

Uwe

• 9. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer

Oh. In the meantime you solved the problem.
                          Hm. As I already said in my answer #2: "Also check the parent folder structure."

Uwe

• 10. Re: Locked Library ID CS6 after switching to new Win 10 Computer

Just for the records:

If an open library is locked—e.g. because it is opened by another user on the network—just add a new library to a directory where you have read/write access. Then select all items in the locked library and drag them in the empty one. That's the fastest way to clone the items.

Uwe