3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 10:55 AM by Laubender

parent and child master pages of different sizes

chandasz Level 1

I have a parent master where headers/footers reside on an 8.5x11 portrait page.

Creating a new child master that is landscape 8.5x11 that I want the same headers and footers on but they will obviously be in a different place.

I don't want my client to have to change headers/footers more than one place in the document-- just on the parent master page.

How can I move the text frame from the parent master on the child master without overriding the content?

I was trying to do this in text variables but it didn't work either.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: parent and child master pages of different sizes
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you show us the layout for the portrait page and the landscape page with two screen captures where hidden characters and frame edges are showing? Place the screen captures as inline graphics using the controls of the forum:

CameraIcon-ForumControls-AddScreenGrabs.png

Regards,

Uwe

• 2. Re: parent and child master pages of different sizes
            chandasz Level 1

This is the portrait page with the headers and footers

Capture1.JPG

and this is the page that is landscape that I want the headers and footers in the same relative location to the margins. I also want to be able to do this with a tabloid landscape page. I'd like my client to only have to change the header and footer text on the portrait master page and have it picked up on the 8.5x11 landscape and the tabloid landscape page....

Capture2.JPG

• 3. Re: parent and child master pages of different sizes
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could do this by using two different master spreads.

Let's start with the header to keep it simple:

Add one single header to the left page (PM-Left) of the portrait master (PM)

1. Use the Content Place Tool to add the header to the conveyor belt.

2. Place and link the header from the conveyor to the right page of the portrait master (PM) and to both pages of the landscape master (LM).

3. Adjust the width and position on the landscape master.

Now the text frames for the header on PM-Right, LM-Left and LM-Right are directly linked to the single header on PM-Left.

Changing the contents of the original header will change the contents of the linked frames (stories).

But this would not be automatically, someone—your customer—has to do this in the Links panel.

Some screen captures preparing a document with the Content Place Tool:

A text frame (gray) with an anchored text frame (yellow) was created on PM-Left.
              A text variable that later should pick up some text is the contents of the gray text frame.

This frame is already fed to the "Conveyor Belt ak. Content Placer":

ContentPlace-0.png

Don't forget to link the frame, if you place it on the master spreads:

ContentPlace-1.png

The frame placed and linked to PM-Right:

Note: The anchor options of the yellow text frame are set in a way, that it will be oriented away from spine.

ContentPlace-2.png

The width of the text frames could be changed after placing:

Here our LM pages.

ContentPlace-3.png

Phase 2
              The customer has opened the document and has changed the contents of the header.
              He added "Changed" to the text variable on PM-Left.

As soon as that, a yellow triangle in the Links Panel and at the linked objects will indicate a change and a not updated linked text frame ( = linked story):

1-MasterPortrait-HeaderChanged-NotUpdated.png

As soon as he updates the links in the Links panel, the changes are reflected in the whole document:

2-MasterPortrait-HeaderChanged-AND-Updated.png

3-SpreadPortrait-HeaderChanged-AND-Updated.png

4-SpreadLandscape-HeaderChanged-AND-Updated.png

For some days you can download the sample files from my Dropbox account here:

Dropbox - ContentPlaceDemonstration-CS6.zip

It's just one way to get this job done:

1. If the customer changes the header, he has to:

2. Update the links in the Links panel

For the footer it's the same way…

Uwe