10 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 8:06 AM by trshaner

Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image

Maxtson

Hi guys,

Recently when I finish editing an image in LR5, I notice the detail of the image has been dulled down and blurry than when it was open in the develop module.

Ive double checked everything from color space, image format, quality level, even tried uploading one of the exported images to my website hoping it was something wrong with Preview, but it looks the same.

Only other thing I noticed is when I view the image in "library" mode, it looses the detail just as much as the exported version. Only when its in "develop" mode is when it shows the true detail and crunched blacks that I enhanced. And it didnt used to do this. So Im hoping I accidentally changed a button and didn't realize it..

If anyone has information or can point me in the right direction of something that can help troubleshoot or resolve this, I'd really appreciate any info!

-Max

• 1. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
          dj_paige Level 9

Show us the photo in Lightroom and then show us the exported photo. Also show us your export settings.

• 2. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
            Maxtson Level 1

Ive attached a screenshot of how the image can look while in develop mode, then ive included the result of the exported image, then Ive included a screenshot of my export settings, in that order. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 7.06.39 PM.png

CV4A9167.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• 3. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
              Maxtson Level 1

For some reason the exported picture looks a lot more grainy when added to this forum.. Hmmm

• 4. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
                dj_paige Level 9

What software are you using to view the photo outside of Lightroom? What enlargement level are you using?

If you look at the photo in Lightroom zoomed in 1:1, and you look at the export outside of Lightroom zoomed in at 100%, do you still see the differences?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you show us your detail panel settings? Also how are you calibrating your screen? What version of Lightroom? What version of Mac OS X?

• 6. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
                    Maxtson Level 1

Yeah its still the same because when upload the exported image to my website there's no change

• 7. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
                      Maxtson Level 1

This is roughly where the detail is at for these portraits.

I haven't calibrated my screen. Not sure how to do that. Im using LR5. And my version is OS X El Capitan

unnamed.jpg

• 8. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's an extremely aggressive sharpening setting with amount and detail incredibly high. Also you really should be using masking with a portrait. Also you generally do not need to do any noise reduction. One of the issues is that you really should ONLY touch the detail sliders when zoomed in 1:1 in Develop. Any zoomed out view can not be fully trusted from the detail settings. It can lead to extreme settings such as you see here and generation of noise in the smooth areas. Here is a tutorial I found quickly: How to Properly Sharpen Images in Lightroom

• 9. Re: Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maxtson wrote:

Only other thing I noticed is when I view the image in "library" mode, it looses the detail just as much as the exported version. Only when its in "develop" mode is when it shows the true detail and crunched blacks that I enhanced.

The Library and Export modules use a more accurate resizing algorithm than the Develop module. Normally the Develop and Library module previews will look near identical at less than 1:1 Zoom view (i.e. Fit view). When they don't it's usually an indication that excessive Sharpening and/or insufficient Luminance Noise Reduction is being applied to the image. This causes the image to appear "lighter" and "less sharp" in the Library module and Export files due to excessive noise. The Develop module preview uses a faster (less accurate) resizing algorithm to prevent "lag" when making slider adjustments. This may cause the image to appear sharper and less noisy than the Library module preview at Zoom View settings below 1:1 Zoom.

As mentioned, "ONLY touch the detail sliders when zoomed in 1:1 in Develop." The Library module previews should be "rebuilt" after making adjustments in the Develop module to a set of images. You can do this by clicking on the image in the Library module (1:1 Zoom view) or by selecting ALL of the edited images and using menu Library> Previews> Build Standard or 1:1 Previews.

Maxtson wrote:

And it didnt used to do this. So Im hoping I accidentally changed a button and didn't realize it..

This set of images were most likely shot with a higher in-camera ISO setting (>ISO 800). High ISO images generally require a Luminance Noise Reduction setting of 25, or even higher if the image file is under-exposed.

What ISO is showing for these image files.