4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2016 2:26 AM by David_Powers
      • 1. Re: icons beside width & height in Images Property inspector
        David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

When the padlock is unlocked, you can alter the width and height values independently. With it locked, changing one value should automatically change the other one to preserve the aspect ratio.

If it's not preserving the aspect ratio, it sounds as though you might have already changed one of the values with icon unlocked.

Click the icon that looks like a circle with a diagonal bar through it to restore the image to its original dimension, then try changing a value with the icon in the locked position.

Beware of the check mark icon. It resizes the original image file rather than just using the width and height attributes to change the size.

• 2. Re: icons beside width & height in Images Property inspector
          sulfateion Level 1

I've tried many times, but the padlock seems doesn't work. When the image is inserted, I lock the padlock. Then I can still arbitrarily change the aspect ratio using mouse dragging the bottom-right corner of the image. Then the padlock is shown to be unlocked. But if I press shift and dragging the image, the aspect ratio is kept, no matter the padlock is locked or unlocked.

Yes, the other two icons are just like you explained.

• 3. Re: icons beside width & height in Images Property inspector
            sulfateion Level 1

forgot to mention that I use dreamweaver cs6.

• 4. Re: icons beside width & height in Images Property inspector
              David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

sulfateion wrote:

I've tried many times, but the padlock seems doesn't work. When the image is inserted, I lock the padlock. Then I can still arbitrarily change the aspect ratio using mouse dragging the bottom-right corner of the image. Then the padlock is shown to be unlocked.

Everything is working exactly as expected. The padlock maintains the aspect ratio only when you change the value of either width or height in the Property inspector. It has no effect when you resize an image by dragging with the mouse. The padlock is then shown unlocked as a visual indicator that the aspect ratio has been broken.

Holding down the Shift key when dragging an image to resize it has always maintained the aspect ratio.

1 person found this helpful