6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 6:24 AM by Szalam

Ae CC 2015 not working in El Capitan 10.11.13

Lloyd Lapin

I am using Ae CC 2015.2, version 13.7.2.3 in OS X El Capitan 10.11.13. However, it refuses to load any mov, mp4, etc files. I keep getting a message that telling me that the files are either damaged or unsupported (pic below) (And it's calling .mov files 'MooV')

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 1.47.19 PM.png

I tried using Adobe Chat tech help, and the tech advised I clear out all Adobe apps and files and do a "clean install on mac". I did, but no luck. I still keep getting the same error, make Ae totally unusable right now. And after doing the "clean install", Creative Cloud keeps making me log back in every 5 minutes.

Any help with this problem is GREATLY appreciated!

• 1. Re: Ae CC 2015 not working in El Capitan 10.11.13
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you load those files in Premiere or the Adobe Media Encoder?

What happens if you create a QuickTime file from AE? Then take that file into the Adobe Media Encoder and make an MP4 out of it and see if AE will import it.

• 2. Re: Ae CC 2015 not working in El Capitan 10.11.13
            Lloyd Lapin Level 1

Thanks for the reply! Greatly appreciated.

Here's an update: Shortly after I posted the question, I found that if I took an mov, mp4, etc file through Media Encoder, and output it the same settings as the original, THEN After Effects would let me use it.
            Yes, it's a work-around. But I'd prefer to just import any file into After Effects without the extra step. That's my ultimate goal in solving this problem. Using After Effects like I have for the past 2 decades.
            So any further advice is still greatly appreciated!

• 3. Re: Ae CC 2015 not working in El Capitan 10.11.13

Well, some people consider it normal practice to convert their MP4 files into proper production codecs instead of making AE try to work with the H.264 codec. It's a holdover from when AE was pretty crap at dealing with interframe codecs, but it does still make things go a bit smoother in general even today. Since AE works with very precise pixel data for each pixel in each frame, codecs like the H.264 codec used in MP4 files still make it do tons of needless work behind the scenes to create full frames out of all of that partial frame/motion data bull-crap that makes those files so compressed. So, I'd suggest converting them to a production codec to use in AE rather than doubling down on your compression if we can't figure out a solution.

From whence do these MP4's hail?

• 4. Re: Ae CC 2015 not working in El Capitan 10.11.13
                Lloyd Lapin Level 1

Well, here's the thing. It's not just MP4 files. It's mov, jpeg, psd, etc. Anything not created in the current OS gets the "damaged or unsupported" warning. Even if I was the one creating the original on my former iMac and former iOS (Mavericks).

The work around is to take those files, put them through AME (or PS), output them to the same specs, rename them, import them into AE, and then replace the old versions in comps by using the Option key.
                That's a lot of work around.

Yes, it solves my problem. But when Adobe CC is charging me $49.99/month, I expect files to work correctly just as they did in former, older OS, without having to open other apps and convert them, rename them, re-import them, replace them...
                Ain't nobody got time for that. Not at 50 bucks a month.

• 6. Re: Ae CC 2015 not working in El Capitan 10.11.13

Lloyd Lapin wrote:

Well, here's the thing. It's not just MP4 files. It's mov, jpeg, psd, etc. Anything not created in the current OS gets the "damaged or unsupported" warning.

Oh. That information would have changed my responses.

It could be a permissions issue as Chris suggests. I mean, I haven't had any issues like that in my move from Mavericks to El Capitan, but I did a pretty clean upgrade path. I had a new hard drive (SSD, hooray!) and a brand new install without migrating older accounts onto it. Mac OSX has an issue with upgrading where it messes up permissions and that can cause some really odd issues with After Effects, Premiere, etc.