23 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 12:05 PM by ronc81658652

4k monitor for previews

ronc81658652

I just got a 4k camera.  Surprisingly, my 5 yr old computer and Premiere CS 5.5 have no problems editing the footage on a 4k timeline.  Only issue is I have no way of viewing 4k.  My PC and preview monitor are HD.

I am not seeing too many discussions about using a 4k monitor for previews.   I actually see most 4k monitor posts are about using the monitor as a computer work screen.

Any particular reason for this ?  I thought the main benefit for using a 4k monitor is for previewing at full resolution ?  I did find 1 post on another board that stated 4k is only noticeable on screens 60" and larger.

• 1. Re: 4k monitor for previews
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Will you be delivering in 4K?

• 2. Re: 4k monitor for previews
            ronc81658652 Level 1

I will put some things on Vimeo at 4k and would like to view 4k for my own uses.  Do not have people specifically asking me for 4k.

• 3. Re: 4k monitor for previews
              Chris Hocking Level 3

Most people I know that are cutting and delivering in UltraHD are just using their computer screen for previewing (i.e. 5K iMac, or a 4K/5K display connected for a Windows box). If you want "proper" UltraHD monitoring, Blackmagic and others obviously make IO devices that can handle it, and they even sell the SmartView 4K display - which isn't suitable for grading, but it fine for cutting.

• 4. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                Jim_Simon Level 9

OK.

Do you have a 4K TV?

• 5. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                  ronc81658652 Level 1

Currently no 4k TV or monitor.  TV and movie viewing on a projector or 42" TV.

Amateur hobbyist video editor using a 24" monitor and 32" HDTV for previewing.   Thinking about replacing the HDTV with a 4k monitor.  32" or maybe a little larger.

• 6. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

Currently no 4k TV or monitor. TV and movie viewing on a projector or 42" TV.

That's confusing.

You do or do not currently have a way to view 4K content at full resolution?

• 7. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                      ronc81658652 Level 1

I currently have no way to view 4k footage.

I read some people have 4k TV, some 4k monitor, some both.   Some say 4k monitor is more useful.  Some say 4k is not useful at all because lack of content.

• 8. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                        Chris Hocking Level 3

If you're DELIVERING in UltraHD, then it makes sense to monitor in UltraHD whilst you edit - as something that looks in focus in HD might be slightly out of focus in UltraHD.

There's currently very little UltraHD content out there. Yes, you can watch UltraHD content on Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo, etc. - but it's very compressed. Does it look good on a UltraHD monitor? Sure! Does it look substantially better than HD material on the same screen? Meh - not really.

It's really a personal choice - not a technical one, as the tech is here in terms of post production workflows.

• 9. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                          Jim_Simon Level 9

I currently have no way to view 4k footage.

In that case, perhaps 1080 is the better option, at least until you get a 4K TV.

• 10. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                            ronc81658652 Level 1

So I should get a 4k monitor and maybe a 4k TV, but monitor 1st ?  My new 4k camera is kind of driving the whole thing.

Any suggestions on 4k monitors ?

• 11. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                              Jim_Simon Level 9

Definitely TV first.  You can use that for both entertainment and quality control.

The edit monitor is limited to the latter.

• 12. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                ronc81658652 Level 1

Makes sense, but edit monitor sits on my desk.  Are you suggesting a TV on my desk or a TV in the living room and watching finished video there ?

• 13. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                  Jim_Simon Level 9

TV in the living room and watching finished video there ?

That.  (It's what I do, even for 1080.)

• 14. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                    ronc81658652 Level 1

Sounds like a good idea.  However, my editing desk is mine to do as I see fit.  Living room ?  If I a going to put a 4k TV in the living room, it might as well be large screen to appreciate the resolution.  

To be fair, I need to discuss that with the wife.  Screen size, location, etc..  We have a 40" now.  LOL.  

• 15. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                      Jim_Simon Level 9

If I a going to put a 4k TV in the living room, it might as well be large screen to appreciate the resolution.

Exactly.

• 16. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                        mikeklar Level 1

Looks as though you're getting a lot of confusing feeback. 

I have a 4k monitor and one thing you have be cognicant about is the maximum resolution (in my case 3840x2860) will most definately be an issue with some applications, unless it is a very large monitor.  Of course you can reduce the resolution to make viewing easier.

Another issue you will run into are two or more monitors of different resolutions, it's a solvable one, but will take you by surprise the first time you set things up.

All said, you really don't need that high resolution unless you want to verify the final video file performs to what one would see on large screens and meets the required aspect ratio.

• 17. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                          ronc81658652 Level 1

What kind of issues  are you talking about ?

My plan is 32" 4k monitor for previewing and final viewing.  24" standard monitor for my workspace.  I currently do this using an HDTV as a preview monitor.  Works great, but I really want to see my 4k footage when I edit and final viewing.  I feel like I bought a 4k camera, I should be shooting, editing and viewing at 4k. 

My new monitor and graphics card should arrive tomorrow. 

• 18. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                            JFPhoton Level 3

you must first verify that your particular GPU will fully support the  the newer standards for 4K viewing.....for example : the new Pascal GPU announced yesterday by NVidia will support high frame rates on 4K displays of up to at least 120fps. Don't forget there are TWO standards ,"Cinema 4K" and " UHD ".

The first GPUs to support 4K were limited to only 30fps, then subsequent GPUs would support a 60fps frame rate. You must know about the VERSIONS of the ports on the GPU as well as on the displays you are considering....i.e.   HDMI 1.3 vs. 1.4,or, Displayport 1.1 vs. 1.2 and so forth. All these devices require the exact and properly matched cables.

All this is a little tricky. Using a desktop monitor only inches in front of your face is quite different than looking at a large TV across the room.

I can tell you that I am using two separate 27" 1440p , IPS monitors, ( 2560 x 1440p) and each one is running at 60fps. Even at a 27" inch width, the "pixel density" is so high, you cannot even see individual pixels....you have to use a MAGNIFYING glass to do so!!

1440p LOOKS like 4K in a 27" monitor....it is MUCH sharper and more detailed than 1080p.

to actually SEE 4K you will probably need an even bigger monitor than 27", perhaps 32" running at at LEAST 60fps !

Check out this view sonic 10 bit IPS 4K monitor that runs at 60fps and read the reviews.....the prices have come down....10 bit requires a better GPU, maybe Pascal does it, not sure.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SHZSXVI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?tag=4k0e-20&ie=UTF8 &camp=1789&creative=9325&creat…

Also, check out the 4K monitors on this whole page :

4k Monitor Reviews - Buy Best 4k Ultra HD Computer Display 2016

• 19. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                              ronc81658652 Level 1

Thanks for the advice and links to monitors.

I ended up calling ADK Editing, the vendor that put together my turnkey system 5 yrs ago.  Discussing what I wanted and my budget, he recommended the GE Force GTX 960 and LG 31MU97- B 31" monitor.  The monitor was rated #2 in the pro display category in your link.

Since my system has run flawless for 5yrs., ADK earned my trust.  I followed their recommendation, received and setup everything last night.  The latest Nvidia driver kept crashing Premiere CS 5.5 on renders.  ADK had me install an older driver and that fixed the crashing.  Currently using HDMI instead of display port.  ADK is checking the display port compatibility between the monitor and graphics card.

Little did I know that Nvidia makes the graphics display unit, but not the card itself.  ADK informed me that their are differences between card mfrs.  I bought a GTX960 card made by EVGA.  Other mfrs. include, ASUS, PNY, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte.  Apparently, some card mfrs. have problems with certain monitors at 4k using display port at 60hz.   ADK is sending me an ASUS to try out in exchange for the EVGA.

Footage and colors look great in 4k with the HDMI connection, but I can see that a larger monitor would really expose the resolution differences.    Looks like a 4k TV in the living room is in the near future.

I do have to give a huge thumbs up to ADK.  The turnkey system they built for me 5 yrs ago edits 4k XAVC-S footage no problem.  The only thing I upgraded was the graphics card and monitor so I could view and preview in 4k.   It's not just putting together powerful components.  Things have to work together.

• 20. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                                garethm69160939 Level 1

i'm running a LG 31MU97- B 31" monitor - its a really nice monitor with accurate colours. you can also buy a calibration tool which runs alongside the software that comes with the monitor.

i'm not sure about your gfx card but i have no problem playing back 4k (60FPS) on my GTX 980 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming)

in order to get 60fps you will need to connect via display port (1.2) with a certified cable - i went through several befoer getting one that works!

• 21. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                                  ronc81658652 Level 1

What cable did you get ?  I did not know cables could make a difference.

• 23. Re: 4k monitor for previews
                                                    ronc81658652 Level 1

Thanks for the link.

The cables they have tested is very limited.   I bought a Startech brand cable.  Male/Male display port.  They tested and approved a Startech display port to DVI cable, so I think my cable should be ok.