6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2006 5:08 PM by Matt77777777777

CANT OPEN MY MOVIES

Matt77777777777
      My school is running either Flash MX 2004 or Flash 6.0 r25. I don't know for sure which it is, but i know the flash movies are under the saved and opened under the Flash 6.0 r25 so it is most likely that. Anyways, I created a flash movie at my house under the new Flash Professional 8. The Flash at my school won't open the movies that were made under Professional 8, and an error message pops up which reads "Unexpected file format." I have tried to save the movies under the MX 2004 version, which is one of the save as choices on Flash Professional 8, but I still get this error message when trying to open it. Any suggestions?
        • 1. Re: CANT OPEN MY MOVIES
          Level 7

Matt77777777777 wrote:
          > My school is running either Flash MX 2004 or Flash 6.0 r25. I don't know for
          > sure which it is, but i know the flash movies are under the saved and opened
          > under the Flash 6.0 r25 so it is most likely that. Anyways, I created a flash
          > movie at my house under the new Flash Professional 8. The Flash at my school
          > won't open the movies that were made under Professional 8, and an error message
          > pops up which reads "Unexpected file format." I have tried to save the movies
          > under the MX 2004 version, which is one of the save as choices on Flash
          > Professional 8, but I still get this error message when trying to open it. Any
          > suggestions?
          >

that is correct, flash is not backward compatible.
          You will need to down save the movie to MX 2004, than open it in MX 2004
          and downsave it to MX. that's the only way

Take note tho, none of the new flash 8 features will be supported once
          you save flash on older version. That includes components and effects filters.

--
          Regards

Urami

--

Happy New Year guys - all the best there is in the 2006

<urami>
          http://www.Flashfugitive.com
          </urami>

<web junk free>
          http://www.firefox.com
          </web junk free>
          • 2. Re: CANT OPEN MY MOVIES
            Level 7
            Hi Urami:
            I don't think you have to save it to 2004 and then to mx. If Matt77777777
            goes into the publish settings, he can save them in any version of flash
            player (.swf: all the way back to version 1). Maybe his Flash mx 2004 is
            saving them in version 7? Click on File - Publish settings - Flash (tab).
            Don't chose"optimize for 6 r65.
            Matthew
            "urami_" <runnerHaHaHIHI@HAHAHIHIflashFugitive.com> wrote in message
            news:e1k31d$sui$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >

• 3. Re: CANT OPEN MY MOVIES
              Level 7

Matthew wrote:
              > Hi Urami:
              > I don't think you have to save it to 2004 and then to mx. If Matt77777777
              > goes into the publish settings, he can save them in any version of flash
              > player (.swf: all the way back to version 1). Maybe his Flash mx 2004 is
              > saving them in version 7? Click on File - Publish settings - Flash (tab).
              > Don't chose"optimize for 6 r65.
              > Matthew
              > "urami_" <runnerHaHaHIHI@HAHAHIHIflashFugitive.com> wrote in message
              > news:e1k31d$sui$1@forums.macromedia.com...

"...... Anyways, I created a flash
              movie at my house under the new Flash Professional 8.....and an error message
              pops up which reads "Unexpected file format."

I believe he needs author the file, in which case you need to down
              save. Publish setting can only be used if you export SWF for playback
              not for authoring...

--
              Regards

Urami

--

Happy New Year guys - all the best there is in the 2006

<urami>
              http://www.Flashfugitive.com
              </urami>

<web junk free>
              http://www.firefox.com
              </web junk free>
              • 4. Re: CANT OPEN MY MOVIES
                Level 7
                Hi Urami:
                I guess I was confused when he said "I don't know for
                sure which it is, but i know the flash movies are under the saved and opened
                under the Flash 6.0 r25." He seems to be talking about the flash version
                player on the computers at school. As far as I know, Flash MX did not have a
                version "r25." He said that the computers wouldn't open the "movies" which
                I took as being the .swf and not .fla files. Anyways I think your right...
                his question seems to have confused me.
                Matthew
                >
                > "...... Anyways, I created a flash
                > movie at my house under the new Flash Professional 8.....and an error
                > message
                > pops up which reads "Unexpected file format."
                >
                > I believe he needs author the file, in which case you need to down
                > save. Publish setting can only be used if you export SWF for playback
                > not for authoring...
                >
                >
                > --
                > Regards
                >
                > Urami
                >
                >
                > --
                >
                >
                >
                > Happy New Year guys - all the best there is in the 2006
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > <urami>
                > http://www.Flashfugitive.com
                > </urami>
                >
                > <web junk free>
                > http://www.firefox.com
                > </web junk free>

• 5. Re: CANT OPEN MY MOVIES
                  Level 7

Matthew wrote:
                  > Hi Urami:
                  > I guess I was confused when he said "I don't know for
                  > sure which it is, but i know the flash movies are under the saved and opened
                  > under the Flash 6.0 r25." He seems to be talking about the flash version
                  > player on the computers at school. As far as I know, Flash MX did not have a
                  > version "r25." He said that the computers wouldn't open the "movies" which
                  > I took as being the .swf and not .fla files. Anyways I think your right...
                  > his question seems to have confused me.
                  > Matthew

There was two key upgrades, due to some IDE problems
                  fp6_update_r65.exe
                  and
                  fp6_update_r79.exe

The r25 was the shipping default version, with bugs.

Anyway, there are two option from us so whatever he needs, done

Take care