19 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 7:55 AM by Bill Gehrke

why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?

CMILD561

Hi Yall, first post here, forgive me if this is the wrong place.  I have CS6 and it is a pain to use.  Playing back video from the editing timeline it has about 3 seconds of smoothness and then starts to lag.  I have to press stop, give my machine a second to shake off the cobwebs and then press play again only to repeat the process.  New frames or transitions are painstakingly slow to try to piece together.  I only do this as a hobby, I use probably 5% of what premiere pro is capable of, and I am probably doing some stuff wrong but this is brutal.  Is my computer simply not strong enough to run it?  Do i need a new video card.

Yes I know the most obvious stuff like turning playback resolution to the lowest value, and rendering the clips.  Here are my specs.  I have an SSD hard drive for the main OS, and move my clips from the external to the main when I am getting ready to put together a movie so that there is no lag going from an external USB to the internal.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• 1. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Depending on what you are editing, only 8Gig of ram MAY not be enough

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing - For Windows Internet Explorer press the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard, and then do CTRL-V to paste the screen print from the clipboard into a forum message

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download post in tree view

Using an ATI video card with CS6 means that you have NO hardware help from your GPU

CUDA, OpenCL, Mercury Playback Engine, and Adobe Premiere Pro | Premiere Pro work area

• 2. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
            CMILD561 Level 1

thank you for the quick response.  It is easier footage from my dji phantom 3 usually 1080p at 30 fps, or my gopro hero 3 also 1080 p at 30 fps.

I think these screenshots are what you were requesting?

Capture.JPG

and the gopro.

Capture2.JPG

so nothing too crazy I would think, its not 4k or anything.  It sounds like it might be helpful for me to upgrade the video card if I am understanding correctly?

• 3. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have serious storage problem.  While you have mediocre SATA III SSD it is attached to a SATA II port on your computer it is seriously limiting performance of that SSD.  Your hard drive is also attached to a SATA II speed port(see the IDE in your data)

Download a disk/SSD test tool like CrystalDiskMark and let us see your results on those two storage devices.

Do you have any open PCIe slots in your computer, you might be able to improve your storage with an SATA III add-in board?

Also a nVidia CUDA graphics card could help as John suggested.

Since your motherboard is of the IDE era I guess that you do not have any USB 3.0 ports???

I do have Premiere CS6 running beautifully on a laptop and a X99 based system

• 4. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                CMILD561 Level 1

here is the screenshot.

Capture.JPG I appreciate the in depth responses.  So to dumb it down for me, I think what you are saying is I have a bottleneck in the SSD is capable of runnning at a speed equivalent to the at of SATA 3, but the part it plugs into can only handle sata 2 speeds?  If I wanted to correct this I would need to add some aftermarket parts but in order to do that I need an open PCI3 slot to make the connection. 

in regards to the USB ports, how does that play into the equation?  I believe they are 2.0.  Here is what device manager shows

Capture2.JPG

another website says if they are labeled universal host that means it is 2.0 which i see.  However sometimes when I plug an external drive or sd card reader into certain usb ports I get a pop up message that says something along the lines of "this device can run faster if you just plug it into the right port dummy!" 

• 5. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                  JFPhoton Level 3

...like Bill says : forget the USB ports on your machine, they are of the SLOW 2.0 variety. Your solution is to get an " add-in" card, which will allow you to connect SATA III SSDs to it and allow them to run at full speed. OR, you can just take 2, or more, separate inexpensive SSDs and put them into a RAID 0 array off the current motherboard to create a single drive which will be somewhat faster than what you have now for ALL your files, except what is on the "boot drive" SSD. Example : three SATA II SSDs in a RAID 0 may give you around 800 MB/sec read speed and 500 MB/sec write speed on your current system....but, you would have to BUY 3 SSDs !

Your machine is so old, from 2009 !! However, if you have no budget to buy a new one, you can improve things by :

1. Possibly overclocking your Xeon. As a rule, Xeons are typically NOT overclocked, but, years ago, YOUR W3540 Xeon WAS successfully overclocked to over 4 Ghz by users and your CPU even held a world record of over 5Ghz when overclocked using liquid nitrogen !!

It's worth looking into.....a higher clock speed of the CPU is the single most important factor in providing performance while video editing. Your built in "turbo speed " of 3.2 Ghz is "okay" and should provide 1080p editing without dropped frames under normal conditions. Go Pro video codecs are HIGHLY compressed and are difficult on the CPU, especially if there are multiple video streams present. One option is to TRANSCODE your source clips into a a more "edit friendly" codec like the free Cineform codec offered by Go Pro,or, the DNxHD for Windows codec.

2. Your old machine is capable of handling up to 24 GB of triple channel memory.....you DEFINITELY need more memory in order to improve the performance of your current  dinosaur machine.....8GB is WAY too small.  There must be some old sticks out there somewhere that you can find for cheap to bring it up to 24 GB.

3. As Bill said, only an NVidia GPU will provide the acceleration to improve performance during certain operations....like transistions.....which may use the GPU to vastly improve performance. However, your 2009 machine may only have PCI 2.0 ports and NOT PCI Generation 3 ports. This means you don't want to spend too much  on a NEW card.....you can probably find a quality used one out there for cheap. Look for one with 4 GB of DDR5 video memory, if possible.....the 6xx,7xx,or,9xx series GeForce GPUs all would work...try and find ones with a higher CUDA core count and higher throughput when comparing.

4. As Bill pointed out, the speed of the drive where all your media files are located is very important. The usual recommendation is to have ONLY the Operating system, programs, and Windows page file on your "boot drive", which in your case is the current SSD.

ALL OTHER FILES, ( i.e. previews, media, media cache,cache, and exports ) should go on the fastest drive you can provide. In your case that could be a RAID 0 you create on the current motherboard using 2 or more SSDs.

However, Bill has tested placing the "media cache" and "cache" files on the boot drive with NO loss in performance. This makes for easy erasing of those files when a project is complete. PPro will easily re-create them if ever needed again.

The TRUTH is.......can you HANDLE THE TRUTH ??...that investing ANY money into a machine that old is not advised...you would get better performance out of a current gaming laptop. However, if you can find old memory modules for cheap and some old SSDs for cheap, you CAN cobble together a much better performing version of your current machine with a little effort and some learning.

• 6. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                    CMILD561 Level 1

wow thank you for the in depth response.  I did mention that when I am getting ready to edit I move the source video files to the SSD, i am aware of the bottle necks of trying to use an old external hard drive for such actions.

I am in a pickle, yes I know the machine is old, however I can't drop 1000+ for a new machine with whatever god awful version of windows it has.  The machine is fine for everyday use as storing all my music, internet browsing, and microsoft word.  I don't use it to play video games or anything else labor intensive, the hardest thing I want it to do is edit my 5 minute gopro/ drone movies. so hopefully a few hundred dollars of hardware is a better solution than an entire new machine.  Any suggestions on what might have the most impact first, or best bang for the buck.

1.  Nvidia Cuda Graphics card

2.  triple channel memory upgrade

3.   add in card to connect the SSD to a sata3 port ( i need to research how to do this)

4.  overclocking (i need to do some more reasearch on how to do this as well but I take it there is no extra hardware involved?)

5. transcode the source clips ( seems like this is free, I need to research some more how to do this but am I sacrificing significant quality?  All i do is upload to youtube in 1080, I dont need 4k or anything crazy)

Thanks

• 7. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?

Take look at this device, I believe it should work in your system and it is bootable so your SSD might work off of it and be a whole lot faster.  But you really should use the second SATA III port and acquire a second SSD to use for your Project, media, and preview files. 

I normally suggest only something like Samsung 850 Pro but in this cost sensitive application the Samsung 850 EVO will suffice.

Here is what a Samsung 840 Pro SSD drive on this laptop tests at with SATA III.

Your statement "It is easier footage from my dji phantom 3 usually 1080p at 30 fps, or my gopro hero 3 also 1080 p at 30 fps." is far from correct, those media types as JFP said are highly compressed and require lots of CPU power, memory and storage speed.

• 8. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                        CMILD561 Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Take look at this device, I believe it should work in your system

im sorry, did you mean to include a link?  I am not sure what device you were referring to?

• 9. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately Go Pro Media even at 1080 is still a very complex codec which takes significant processing. 8GB of ram is really bare minimum for any GPU acceleration and even then you are pushing it with the current GPU acceleration. The AMD card really means you need to run software MPE mode which is not helping with the Go Pro Media. I would suggest a 950GTX or a 960GTX video card provided your PSU is 400W+ and you really need 16GB of ram if you want to playback the Go Pro natively. Otherwise you need to convert the media to DNxHD and then that system may handle that better. You can download the Avid codecs here

http://cdn.avid.com/Codecs/LE/2.7.1/CodecsLE_2.7.1_Win.zip

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                            JFPhoton Level 3

.....today, the Crucial 500GB MX200 SATA III SSD is on sale at New Egg for $129. This SSD is very near the performance and quality of the Samsung 850 Pro series SSDs...it has a great controller for video editing and it is extremely reliable.

2 of these in a RAID 0 would give you 1TB of capacity running at over 1 GB/sec read and around 900MB/sec. write speed for $260.

combined with the "add in card" Bill mentioned, this could be a great performing storage solution for you

• 13. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?

To do the RAID 0 and speed up your OS the SYBA card would not work as it only has 2 ports.  A quick look turned up no PCIe 2.0 with 4 internal SATA III ports and bootable but there well may be such a device.

• 14. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                                CMILD561 Level 1

ignore this I reread the previous posts and think I am following along but the question below still pertains

• 15. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                                  CMILD561 Level 1

and bill unless I am mistaken with the SYBA you recommended. I dont think my machine has an input for that.  I have my tower open right now,   Forgive me if I am getting my terms wrong but it looks like it has two small connections, I think those are called PCI express  X1 connections.  In my tower I see a PCIe2 X4,  a PCIe X 4 and PCIe2 X16.  Nothing that looks like it can take what the SYBA has.

• 16. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?

You plug that PCIe x1 card into any available PCIe 2 slot, choose one of the x4 slots

• 17. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                                      CMILD561 Level 1

so just because it is smaller you are saying  it can still fit into one of the larger slots?

• 18. Re: why do I lag so bad with premiere pro cs6?
                                        CMILD561 Level 1

lastly in regards to the triple channel memory.  I have six memroy slots.  4 are used at 2GB each giving me 8.  It says in the specs that I am limited to 24gb total?  Why is that?  It looks like I can buy an 12gb triple channel DDR 3 memory.  If i bought 6 of those wouldnt that equal 72?  is there a limit to what I can put in each slot, so if I have 6 slots total and it says 24GB is my upper limit it looks like I need to buy 6 X4 gb.  But if I already have 8gb in there across 4 slots cant I just buy 2 X 8gg memories to get me up to 24 total.  Why is this so confusing